parsneezy

2 hours ago, catsnbikes said:

I'm still waiting to hear from South Carolina as well. I had an interview in early Feb and they said the PhD committee meets every other Friday (they met the 10th). Hopefully we'll hear soon! 

I've not had an interview .. just waiting.. waiting is the worst part

3 hours ago, catsnbikes said:

I'm waiting to hear from VCU and DU, anyone have any news? 

DU as in Denver University? Or a different DU? I heard back from Denver earlier this month if that is who you are referring to.

Just now, Jarrodb said:

DU as in Denver University? Or a different DU? I heard back from Denver earlier this month if that is who you are referring to.

Yep, I do mean Denver University. When I emailed them two weeks ago they said two-three weeks. 

Thanks for the info! 

18 hours ago, ruffian said:

Mine said 2/8 as well. Must just be when they access them or something. 

Hopefully we will hear in the next couple of days. Fingers crossed!

That was my date too! Phew! It is nice to know I wasn't going crazy :)

On 2/21/2017 at 2:13 AM, ThinkVee said:

I'm doing the combined. When I saw Dr. Jackson the first time in June she said no funding for my MSW portion, but when I saw her again at the information session with the graduate students they all said funding is available. So I'm unsure. But it's good to know that information hasn't been sent out yet. I was beginning to get worried I would have no assistance at all. Lol. Which I hope is not the case. Thank you! Yes I know, I just started looking too. It's expensive. Especially coming from Las Vegas where it's so cheap. ?

@ThinkVee @Tuck1 I asked about this, and they said the official package will be sent out in the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, ThinkVee said:

Awesome. Thank you for the update! Will you be attending Welcome Day?

Unfortunately not! I have a few mid-term examinations that week, and my current university administration is a stickler for these arrangements (especially when they were announced at the start of the semester).

Let me know if you do attend Welcome Day / accept the offer? Would be nice to know someone - albeit virtually - if we do attend the same school.

2 hours ago, guanyinmiao said:

Unfortunately not! I have a few mid-term examinations that week, and my current university administration is a stickler for these arrangements (especially when they were announced at the start of the semester).

Let me know if you do attend Welcome Day / accept the offer? Would be nice to know someone - albeit virtually - if we do attend the same school.

@ThinkVee @guanyinmiao Iwill not be attending either. My husband and I will be out of the country. I am bummed about missing it. What professors are you all wanting to work with? We should have a meet and greet with us three beforehand if we all decide to go there. Also looking for a job for relocation and all that is a stressor. 

9 hours ago, guanyinmiao said:

I'll be attending. I'll PM you the details after I attend :). I plan on accepting the offer (hopefully upon funding), since this was my top choice.

6 hours ago, Tuck1 said:

@ThinkVee @guanyinmiao Iwill not be attending either. My husband and I will be out of the country. I am bummed about missing it. What professors are you all wanting to work with? We should have a meet and greet with us three beforehand if we all decide to go there. Also looking for a job for relocation and all that is a stressor. 

I'll be working with Dr. Jackson! However I'm still doing the MSW portion first so I won't be doing "Ph.D things" for about a year and a half. I'll PM you as well after I attend the welcome day.

I just heard back from the University of Washington. I was wait listed. I won't lie--I'm more than a little devastated. UGH. Has anyone else heard anything? If you're accepted and decide to pass, I'll be your BFF. Ha.

Edited by Emarouk

32 minutes ago, Emarouk said:

I just heard back from the University of Washington. I was wait listed. I won't lie--I'm more than a little devastated. UGH. Has anyone else heard anything? If you're accepted and decide to pass, I'll be your BFF. Ha.

How did they inform you the status? I didn't have an interview or hear any news. My application status is still 'submitted'.

I also did not get in UM. They stated in the email that they admitted only eight.

I am still waiting USC to release their results. 

So far, I got only three rejections (Berkeley, Michigan, Duke(Public policy) and another highly-likely rejection from Chicago (Harris - they just submitted my application to a master program). Hopefully I can hear some good news from USC or UW.

6 minutes ago, yourruth said:

How did they inform you the status? I didn't have an interview or hear any news. My application status is still 'submitted'.

I also did not get in UM. They stated in the email that they admitted only eight.

I am still waiting USC to release their results. 

So far, I got only three rejections (Berkeley, Michigan, Duke(Public policy) and another highly-likely rejection from Chicago (Harris - they just submitted my application to a master program). Hopefully I can hear some good news from USC or UW.

UM also suggest me to take part in their MSW. However, I already have a MSW degree in HK 

@yourruth I got the following email. I'm trying to stay positive, but ugh....more waiting. This was the only program I was interested in and the only one I applied for. Ahhhhh all those eggs in one fragile basket...

I am writing to let you know that the Admissions Committee has recommended that your application for admission to the PhD Program in Social Welfare be put on waitlist status. We receive a substantial number of high quality applications for very few places and the decisions were very difficult. The Committee was impressed with your application and considers you a strong candidate for the program.  Your status as a finalist is an indication of the strength of your application and we commend you for your accomplishments. However, we do not have enough funding to make offers to everyone who was highly rated, and indeed are taking a cautious approach to admissions so that we can continue to provide students in the program with good supports.  Our incoming class this fall will be 5 students.  We have made offers to 5 applicants, and you and two others are on the waitlist. 

We very much hope all 8 of you will be able to attend our Visit Day on March 13th .  It’s an important opportunity for you to meet us, other prospective students, and the other graduate students in our program. We can also set up meetings with faculty members you might be interested in working with, and tell you about the program in more depth.

Although being placed on a waitlist is not a guarantee of admission at a later point, it is quite possible – particularly since our waitlist is small – that things will change as applicants sort through their decisions. Indeed, every year our incoming class includes folk from our waitlist. If a space becomes available, we will notify you immediately. Please also keep in close contact with me in terms of your own process, including your continued interest in being considered for our program.  

5 minutes ago, Emarouk said:

@yourruth I got the following email. I'm trying to stay positive, but ugh....more waiting. This was the only program I was interested in and the only one I applied for. Ahhhhh all those eggs in one fragile basket...

I am writing to let you know that the Admissions Committee has recommended that your application for admission to the PhD Program in Social Welfare be put on waitlist status. We receive a substantial number of high quality applications for very few places and the decisions were very difficult. The Committee was impressed with your application and considers you a strong candidate for the program.  Your status as a finalist is an indication of the strength of your application and we commend you for your accomplishments. However, we do not have enough funding to make offers to everyone who was highly rated, and indeed are taking a cautious approach to admissions so that we can continue to provide students in the program with good supports.  Our incoming class this fall will be 5 students.  We have made offers to 5 applicants, and you and two others are on the waitlist. 

We very much hope all 8 of you will be able to attend our Visit Day on March 13th .  It’s an important opportunity for you to meet us, other prospective students, and the other graduate students in our program. We can also set up meetings with faculty members you might be interested in working with, and tell you about the program in more depth.

Although being placed on a waitlist is not a guarantee of admission at a later point, it is quite possible – particularly since our waitlist is small – that things will change as applicants sort through their decisions. Indeed, every year our incoming class includes folk from our waitlist. If a space becomes available, we will notify you immediately. Please also keep in close contact with me in terms of your own process, including your continued interest in being considered for our program.  

Though you are waitlisted, it seems very highly likely that you will get in..no? Since I did not get a notification of admission, I assume that I was not chosen. Wish you all the best though....hopefully some of them have been admitted more than one program so that you can have a place there!

7 minutes ago, Emarouk said:

Ahhh five seats...so brutal. haha I knew it but still though.

@yourruth the 5 seats surprised me! I knew the cohort was kept small, but that's REALLY small. I'm trying to not give up hope, but with only 5 spots total and 3 people on the wait list....it's hard to know what the chances really are.

I hope you get some good news soon!!!

@yourruth I'm still waiting on a few schools! I imagine that I'll be getting my rejection from UW soon, based on what everyone here had to say. I am still waiting to hear from U South Carolina, Virginia Commonwealth, and University of Denver.  

I did hear back from two schools (ASU and UGA) who both had mid-January deadlines in the past two weeks, so who knows! I hope you hear some good news soon! 

@Emarouk I'm crossing my fingers for you!  This is the first time I've ever applied to more than one program, and it is so difficult to put all that energy in to one thing and have it not come back how you were hoping. 

On 2/22/2017 at 6:45 PM, Emarouk said:

I haven't heard anything, going to assume that's a no. Sorry you're devastated! I hope maybe someone will not choose it (if it's not their thing).