parsneezy

Thanks! I'm very excited. Actually, that's an understatement. I'm elated. 

The program director called me and I then received an email from my assigned mentor.

In terms of my profile, honestly, I think many of the standard metrics are of secondary importance in my case. What I believe distinguished me was my statement - particularly in terms of my goals for doctoral study. I spent months on it. Months. And I wrote three distinct statements, one for each school I applied to. Briefly, my story is that I came upon social welfare/social work after a highly interdisciplinary background (public health, education, child development) which, in conjunction with my personal history and a bit of direct service work, has informed my research interests (child welfare with a social justice/empowerment lens). I have been looking into programs since May, that includes meeting with professors, current students, alums, I sat in on a couple classes, etc. I was trying to understand how I might fit into these programs and learn about the opportunities that exist for child welfare scholarship, particularly as it relates to out-of-home care. Also, I believe my recommendations were exceptional (I waived my right to read, so I'm guessing here) and included one nationally recognized methodologist who was a previous doctoral mentor (I did not complete that program). In terms of the nuts and bolts, I have 10 years of clinical/applied research and evaluation experience in medical school settings including Penn, I have a couple publications and a couple under review (in public health), lots of presentations (national and international), average GRE scores for an Ivy (averaging 82nd percentile I think), and solid but not exceptional grades. I do not have an MSW.

Hi all! New here. A former colleague told me that this site existed, and am super excited to connect with all of you! 

I applied to three schools - UNC, WashU & Michigan. 

So far I've been accepted to UNC Chapel Hill, and have an interview at WUSTL on Feb. 20. 

Has anyone heard anything from Michigan? 

On 1/19/2017 at 2:43 AM, Tuck1 said:

Hi all. I'm anxiously waiting over here. I applied to Berkeley, university of Chicago, and UCLA. I had an interview with Berkeley the last week in December and haven't heard anything back yet. Haven't heard anything at all from the other schools and am not sure if they do interviews or not. Does anyone know? 

On 1/20/2017 at 4:12 AM, Ggsk said:

Unless u intend to finish in three years, u prob have to find sources for the remaining years. Anyway, I am excited that u are excited. UNC's program is really interesting. I have looked at the details of the modules and I really love the focus on social interventions.

And u thought u had no chance for unc haha

Hi! Have you received any news from Berkeley for the Social Welfare program? 

Thanks!

Edited by Giovii

1 hour ago, Giovii said:

Hi! Have you received any news from Berkeley for the Social Welfare program? 

Thanks!

I haven't heard anything although I saw someone was wait listed though so not sure when we will be hearing back but I'm assuming the next few days. 

On 2/4/2017 at 2:46 PM, ruffian said:

Hi all! New here. A former colleague told me that this site existed, and am super excited to connect with all of you! 

I applied to three schools - UNC, Wash U & Michigan. 

So far I've been accepted to UNC Chapel Hill, and have an interview at Wash U on Feb. 20. 

Has anyone heard anything from Michigan? 

Congrats to your acceptance to UNC - I was also accepted. I am also waiting for an interview date to be given by WUSTL! Your interview is a face to face interview at WashU?

Nope, nothing from Michigan! 

Hang on everyone! :)

On 2/5/2017 at 7:39 PM, Ggsk said:

Congrats to your acceptance to UNC - I was also accepted. I am also waiting for an interview date to be given by WUSTL! Your interview is a face to face interview at WU?

Nope, nothing from Michigan! 

Hang on everyone! :)

Yes, in person interview/tour day. I live here in St. Louis though so not sure what they do for out of staters.

Ggsk going to send you a private message - I think Dr. Howard mentioned you to me - our reseach interests are similar. 

This should be the week for U Penn and Berkeley (two people have already heard back)! Has anyone heard anything from or about UCLA? I'm not feeling too confidant about the application season but hoping for the best. 

Good luck everyone and congrats to those who have heard back! 

58 minutes ago, canypa said:

This should be the week for U Penn and Berkeley (two people have already heard back)! Has anyone heard anything from or about UCLA? I'm not feeling too confidant about the application season but hoping for the best. 

Good luck everyone and congrats to those who have heard back! 

Haven't seen/heard anything as of yet. Keep hoping for the phone to ring with the 215 area code for Penn :D. Good luck!

Hi all. Just got my official rejection from Berkeley. Super bummed about it as I thought it was a really good fit after having the interview. Still waiting to hear back from Chicago and WUSTL... I have hear absolutely nothing from them so am a bit nervous about it. 

Hey, Tuck1. I was rejected today from UC Berk as well. I'm not convinced it was the best fit for me, but I was definitely hoping to get in and have the option. I also applied to Chicago and haven't heard a word. 

6 minutes ago, canypa said:

Also received my official rejection from Berkeley today. I can't say I'm surprised but still disappointed. Still waiting to hear back from U Penn and UCLA. Staying positive for UCLA as it would be the best fit! 

31 minutes ago, Uberwelt said:

Hey, Tuck1. I was rejected today from UC Berk as well. I'm not convinced it was the best fit for me, but I was definitely hoping to get in and have the option. I also applied to Chicago and haven't heard a word. 

41 minutes ago, Tuck1 said:

Hi all. Just got my official rejection from Berkeley. Super bummed about it as I thought it was a really good fit after having the interview. Still waiting to hear back from UCLA and Chicago... I have hear absolutely nothing from them so am a bit nervous about it. 

Sorry to hear about the rejection to Berkley - looks like a wave came in today. Hope others heard better news. The wait continues (but this is likely a sign that most other programs will start coming out this week as well). Good luck all who are still waiting.

10 hours ago, SocialResearcher said:

Sorry to hear about the rejection to Berkley - looks like a wave came in today. Hope others heard better news. The wait continues (but this is likely a sign that most other programs will start coming out this week as well). Good luck all who are still waiting.

Sorry to hear that too. Hope you will have good news from your other applications!

On 2/8/2017 at 6:33 PM, Ggsk said:

Any updates? Nothing for me. Still waiting for an interview date with WashU.

Congrats on WashU! I had an interview with Chicago today and they said by the end of the week they should be notifying people. Still nothing from UCLA 

7 minutes ago, Tuck1 said:

I had an interview with Chicago today and they said by the end of the week they should be notifying people. Still nothing from UCLA 

Wow good for u that u had an interview with Chicago. A v good sch. I applied too but I think I don't have a chance since I didn't get an interview. 

I remember you have Two more choice - Chi and ucla - after Berkeley rejected. Hope u get one of these two!! U are one step closer! 

1 hour ago, Ggsk said:

Any updates? Nothing for me. Still waiting for an interview date with wash uni. 

Nothing as of yet - still waiting patiently. Still hopefully the timeline of releases this week is valid. Good luck all. 

11 hours ago, Ggsk said:

Wow good for u that u had an interview with Chicago. A v good sch. I applied too but I think I don't have a chance since I didn't get an interview. 

I remember you have Two more choice - Chi and ucla - after Berkeley rejected. Hope u get one of these two!! U are one step closer! 

I'm not sure if they normally do interviews at Chicago. It was with someone I had spoken to already and it wasn't very formal at all compared to the Berkeley interview. She just had a few questions for me. Ive been speaking with one of my old mentors who I believe plays a role in admissions for the PhD program at BU and she encouraged me to email the professor I had previously been in contact with at UCLA to set up an interview time. I did that yesterday and so we have a conversation set up for next week. So I would encourage you to email the people you are waiting to hear back from again just to talk more about research interests and all that. Hopefully something comes out of it. 

1 hour ago, academicbirb said:

Anyone heard from BC's PhD program? I checked the results tracker but I know sometimes people don't always post in there... 

Nope. Nothing. The result tracker history for the BC phd in social work program is all over the place with some hearing from admissions around now and others all the way to the end of March. 

Hi all,

I didn't even know this existed, so yay!. I am still finishing up my MSW so I know I am not as much of a contender as others. However, I have always had a 4.0, I have original research, conferences, etc. and I have been in a social work-type work setting for 15 years, so I am hoping that will help me. My GRE scores are good, so I am hoping that will help as well. 

I am nervous though because I haven't been contacted by any of the programs I applied for, and I've seen that others have had some interviews from them. 

I applied to University of Washington (I am from Seattle originally), Boston College, and UT Arlington, so all over the place. 

Just hoping to hear something soon so I know where I am moving my family! 

9 hours ago, Tuck1 said:

I'm not sure if they normally do interviews at Chicago. It was with someone I had spoken to already and it wasn't very formal at all compared to the Berkeley interview. She just had a few questions for me. Ive been speaking with one of my old mentors who I believe plays a role in admissions for the PhD program at BU and she encouraged me to email the professor I had previously been in contact with at UCLA to set up an interview time. I did that yesterday and so we have a conversation set up for next week. So I would encourage you to email the people you are waiting to hear back from again just to talk more about research interests and all that. Hopefully something comes out of it. 

Which professor do you want to work with at UCLA? When you emailed the professor what was the tone and what did you ask? How did they respond? I'm also waiting to hear from UCLA so trying to give that last push! Thanks!

1 hour ago, SocialResearcher said:

Decisions out from UPenn. Not offered acceptance. Good luck everyone else!

I was also not offered admissions to Penn, good luck with Columbia!