parsneezy

23 minutes ago, yourruth said:

I just heard from USC and got invited as one of the finalists!! There are about 14-6 finalists and only about 70% will get a final offer.

Congratulations!! That's awesome news. 

2 hours ago, yourruth said:

I just heard from USC and got invited as one of the finalists!! There are about 14-6 finalists and only about 70% will get a final offer.

AHHH congratulations on being selected and thank you so much for the update.

It would be super cool to have some finality from UW. I realize I am not in the pool of those accepted, but if it weren't for grad cafe, I wouldn't know that. Just bummed about not getting in too, I suppose. I did get into UT Arlington though! Not my first choice, but happy to know I can get in somewhere. Still waiting on financials to make a decision though. 

Has anyone heard from the University of South Carolina at Columbia yet?  

I had a phone interview 2/20 and expected to hear something by the end of February.... but, so far, nothing...  

Edited by WaitingIsTheWorst

35 minutes ago, WaitingIsTheWorst said:

Has anyone heard from the University of South Carolina at Columbia yet?  

I had a phone interview 2/20 and expected to hear something by the end of February.... but, so far, nothing...  

I had a phone interview in early February and still haven't heard anything either! I'm thinking about emailing to see if they have any kind of timeline! I'll let you know what they say! 

On 3/3/2017 at 8:40 PM, catsnbikes said:

But heyooo! Finally got my official rejection from UW. It's nice to be able to cross it off the list with a sense of finality :)

Me too! Complete with the incorrect admission year :lol: 

I got a waitlist status letter officially today (after hearing it on the phone Thursday) and the letter is so respectful. I hope every day that I get this chance! What a wait his will be!!!

On 3/2/2017 at 0:25 PM, catsnbikes said:

I had a phone interview in early February and still haven't heard anything either! I'm thinking about emailing to see if they have any kind of timeline! I'll let you know what they say! 

Thank you!

6 hours ago, flowerthor said:

I have an interview with Hunter in NYC. Do you guys have any advice/tips?

This advice is based on my own interviews and sit downs with professors, so it may not apply to your situation: But I would say prepare yourself to describe your interest area clearly. Possibly also prepare yourself with a research question YOU want to explore as a part of your own research goals and agenda, in other words, what innovative questions do you have? This is often missing as students tend to describe what they know, rather than what they want to explore. Then prepare to reference how your interests intersect with the program, in particular the professor you have identified as a collaborator and any institutes or units therein where you would train. Also having a targeted description of your post-graduate plans seems to matter significantly as the training they offer is better for certain career paths than others.  So, being able to articulate if your path will likely be academic, policy-based, governmental, etc. is helpful.

Then, if the interview allows, ask about what makes their program unique? What opportunities are there to grow your interest area? How is the advisor-student relationship managed? What types of positions do graduates secure? Etc.

On February 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM, ThinkVee said:

I'll be attending. I'll PM you the details after I attend :). I plan on accepting the offer (hopefully upon funding), since this was my top choice.

Have you heard about funding yet? How was the visit? Just got back to the states and was surprised to not have heard anything 

On 3/8/2017 at 4:04 PM, WaitingIsTheWorst said:

Thank you!

I finally heard from them yesterday. Email from the graduate college but no word yet from the program. I know that they offer different funding packages to every student, so that's kind of important. Good luck to you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2017 at 3:52 PM, jm2012 said:

I am waitlisted at Upitt and I just have to tell myself that this wait be be super long and I may not hear back for a long time. I am trying to tell myself this over and over again :) I wish I knew how many people were waitlisted and I may reach out to ask at some point. 

1 hour ago, HopefulSWKPhDstudent said:

Any new news regarding acceptance? Still waiting on UNC Chapel Hill and University of South Carolina 

Seems like UNC is taking for ever. I know they have admitted a few students. If you did not get contacted  

earlier most likely you are on a wait list. I applied but accepted another offer. 

On 3/6/2017 at 3:52 PM, jm2012 said:

I am waitlisted at Upitt and I just have to tell myself that this wait be be super long and I may not hear back for a long time. I am trying to tell myself this over and over again :) I wish I knew how many people were waitlisted and I may reach out to ask at some point. It is a strange feeling to be so in between. 

Sorry I don't know how to work this too well.

16 hours ago, HopefulSWKPhDstudent said:

Any new news regarding acceptance? Still waiting on UNC Chapel Hill and University of South Carolina 

I visited South Carolina last weekend and when I spoke with the PhD program director (Dr. Wolfer) he told me that they had given out 7 offers with funding (so far 3 have been accepted) and that there were 3 or 4 students who had been admitted without financial offers (I don't know if they had been informed or if they will be if someone else does not accept their offer). I only heard from them on 3/17. 

I received my acceptance from Hunter!!! The stress of getting in is over. Now to worry about moving to NYC *yikes*

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back from any schools.

Edited by flowerthor