DAAD 2017-2018

maelia8

Thought I'd start a new thread for this year. Is anybody else applying? My campus internal deadline is October 19th, so I'm already hard at work on the application.

I may have found a discrepancy in the instructions ... for the research grant, the daad.de scholarship database states that the research proposal should be maximum 10 pages, while the daad.org checklist states that it should be maximum 5 pages. I'm not sure which is correct. Does anybody know?

So jealous! I wish my uni was a partner uni. Alas! Good luck on your app and for anyone else who doesn't know: the double space is up to you; the max is 5 pages.

@Horb Yeah that's what they wrote me back - they have no requirements as to spacing or formatting. I guess one could theoretically write in 24 point comic sans ... though I wonder if that would be seriously received.

Hi fellow applicants, 

This is my first time applying for a DAAD award. I will be conducting a research project over the summer in 2017 in Germany and was advised to apply for the DAAD research grant. However, I'm wondering if I'd be a good candidate. The advisor I'll be working with is an esteemed professor and very well published. I am currently in my second year of graduate school (should have my MA by the end of Spring) and only have one publication under my belt thus far (a couple more in the works, but won't be published by the time applications are due). I'm new to DAAD but heard it's very competitive. Do I even stand a chance or should I set my sights - and energy - elsewhere?

I'd appreciate any and all advice!

7 hours ago, Lydia1743 said:

Hi fellow applicants, 

This is my first time applying for a DAAD award. I will be conducting a research project over the summer in 2017 in Germany and was advised to apply for the DAAD research grant. However, I'm wondering if I'd be a good candidate. The advisor I'll be working with is an esteemed professor and very well published. I am currently in my second year of graduate school (should have my MA by the end of Spring) and only have one publication under my belt thus far (a couple more in the works, but won't be published by the time applications are due). I'm new to DAAD but heard it's very competitive. Do I even stand a chance or should I set my sights - and energy - elsewhere?

I'd appreciate any and all advice!

Hi hi!

From what I've heard, the region you apply in and the project proposal are the most important. The project proposal shows validity and feasibility, which are the most important factors when giving someone grants. I think publications vary by field in terms of how important they are (for instance, in my field, you're lucky if you get published once during your PhD), so only having one probably isn't a big issue.

In terms of other research grants, they are all competitive. So there's really no safe bet.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have ideas about footnotes/bibliography? The research proposal guidelines say max. 5 pages, but there are no specifications about whether you can/should use footnotes, and whether a bibliography, if included, is not considered part of the 5 page limit. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2016 at 8:22 PM, maelia8 said:

Anybody have ideas about footnotes/bibliography? The research proposal guidelines say max. 5 pages, but there are no specifications about whether you can/should use footnotes, and whether a bibliography, if included, is not considered part of the 5 page limit. Thoughts?

I have the same question! I've looked and looked but can't seem to find an answer. If anyone has, please let me know!

Hello all, I posted this to last year's thread (before I realized there was a new one). 

I am a DAAD-IntensiveLanguage-loser from last cycle, looking into applying again. I found this note on their website, stating that "An applicant may only be considered once in any three consecutive years for a DAAD Intensive Language Course or University Summer Course Grant." (click over to Application Requirements). 

This seems to imply that if you applied for a DAAD Intensive Language stipend, then you cannot apply again for three years. Is this correct? 

I only ask because I remember speaking with people in the last thread that won last year but had been rejected in years past. Is it a requirement I can ignore, or maybe, more likely, do they mean to apply this only to people who won the grant?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, War&Peace said:

Hello all, I posted this to last year's thread (before I realized there was a new one). 

I am a DAAD-IntensiveLanguage-loser from last cycle, looking into applying again. I found this note on their website, stating that "An applicant may only be considered once in any three consecutive years for a DAAD Intensive Language Course or University Summer Course Grant." (click over to Application Requirements). 

This seems to imply that if you applied for a DAAD Intensive Language stipend, then you cannot apply again for three years. Is this correct? 

I only ask because I remember speaking with people in the last thread that won last year but had been rejected in years past. Is it a requirement I can ignore, or maybe, more likely, do they mean to apply this only to people who won the grant?

Thanks!

It stated this last year as well and I asked for clarification. As you can win their grants multiple times, they mean that if you were awarded the grant, then you cannot apply for another 3 years. Is this what it actually says? Absolutely not. But it is what that statement means, as I asked specifically about it. I've applied for that grant twice and lost both times, but I asked last year because of my previous application. I wish I could give you advice, but each year I had an application heavily vetted and still didn't win. Oh well!

• 5 weeks later...

Hey there. I applied, I put a lot of effort into the paper, but now I am feeling a little worried after seeing the application preferences. I wrote like three times how I want to use my degree in Germany, rather than bringing what I have learned back to my home country. Grrrrr, how did I not read that somewhere!?

Anyways, is there any other students who applied for master program funding?

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:27 PM, setw3 said:

Hey there. I applied, I put a lot of effort into the paper, but now I am feeling a little worried after seeing the application preferences. I wrote like three times how I want to use my degree in Germany, rather than bringing what I have learned back to my home country. Grrrrr, how did I not read that somewhere!?

Hey! I am also applying for master program funding. Very nervously waiting for the April 2017 answer. Since we aren't going to hear back until either after or right before masters program application deadlines, I am assuming you are also going to start submitting those before hearing back about DAAD funding?

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2016 at 4:27 PM, setw3 said:

Hi there. I am also applying for master program funding. I received a letter through the DAAD system in November saying that a decision will be made in January and that I should hear from them in February. I'm not sure whether this applies to all applicants though as I'm applying from Brazil. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone! I have also applied for the DAAD master program funding and really hope to hear something soon (although their email said the answer could come - at the latest - in August..). I have no idea of my chances for the DAAD scholarship, but fortunately I have already been accepted to the master program last year (I deferred). Good luck everyone :) !

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! I've also applied for the DAAD master program funding. My status is preselection made. What is the status of your? Do you also have oral round before the decision? I am so nervous about the result. How many student can get the grant?

3 hours ago, Juicy said:

Hi everyone! I've also applied for the DAAD master program funding. My status is preselection made. What is the status of your? Do you also have oral round before the decision? I am so nervous about the result. How many student can get the grant?

My status has just changed from 'preselection made' to 'selection made' as of today. Normally applicants are informed of the committee's decision during the 'selection made' stage. You can find country specific statistics for each available scholarship in this link: https://www.daad.de/der-daad/zahlen-und-fakten/en/29263-daad-country-statistics/. Btw, applicants from Brazil are not required to have an interview as far as I know.

Aaagh it's so hard to wait until April to hear about the decision for the Doctoral Research grants! Do we get notified by email, or do we just have to check the submission portal?

5 hours ago, War&Peace said:

Any updates from anyone applying for the language grant? I am now Selection Made. 

Do you mean the "intensive language course"? I applied for the intensive language course and I also see "selection made."

What does your "Details on the Application" portion say? Has it changed since you first submitted the application? Mine has my first choice program under "target institution" and then it has the specific dates for that program filled in. I never took note of this section earlier so I'm not sure if it changed after my application status turned over.

Would love to hear from anyone who applied to this option! 

My status switched over from "Decision Made" to "Funding" sometime this morning. I also now have a link to submit "Declaration of Acceptance," but I have not received any communication from NY or Bonn. I'm hoping this means I've been accepted, but I'm waiting to hear more before I get too excited!

Has anyone else's status switched over?

My status switched from "Selection Made" to "Funding" sometime recently as well. Intensive Language Grant. 

I also now see a "Declaration of Acceptance" menu in the portal on the left side (under Application and Funding Review)  but have not received a notification, message, or document either on the portal nor on email. 

best of luck all

Just now, War&Peace said:

My status switched from "Selection Made" to "Funding" sometime recently as well. Intensive Language Grant. 

I also now see a "Declaration of Acceptance" menu in the portal on the left side (under Application and Funding Review)  but have not received a notification, message, or document either on the portal nor on email. 

best of luck all

Congrats!

Hi, everyone! 

I have  problem and maybe you can help me. I created daad portal and uploaded my application, but I had some mistakes and  created new Portal with another mail. At Daad office i was told, that this was not problem, because I brought at office only one printed application (with second mail). they told me that old one would be canceled. Today I've checked both portals, application status is different, but I was shocked because on old portal my application status is -" Auswahl erfolgt"  and on new one -  "Bewerbung storniert" . what this mean? I am absolutely nervous,   how could this have happened? 

sorry for my language mistakes