Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

3 minutes ago, tkid86 said:

In what way? I'm trying to relax and telling myself that I'll know in seventy-two hours for Yale if the results stick to the past trend of admits and rejections at the same time. I've got fun plans for tonight and I don't want to be thinking about this throughout the night.

Just would have expected more movement by now.

Just now, Comparativist said:

Just would have expected more movement by now.

Yeah... I'm really expecting a rejection. And many others in the next week. (Dear Adcomms, just reject me already please. So I can move forward.)

On 2/17/2017 at 4:16 PM, magicdonhuang said:

Washington University in St. Louis has been claimed. Not University of Washington-Seattle as far as I can tell.

Ah, sorry, misread your original post. Might be a troll? I don't know how they've sent out their offers in the past.

Question I've been thinking about - if somebody who was admitted to a program with a merit-based fellowship turns down their offer, what's the procedure for reassigning that fellowship? Is there generally a ranked waitlist for these fellowships? Do students who have already received offers receive better offers in these instances? Maybe a current PhD student can provide some insight?

Michigan is sending out emails

edit: And making jokes too! "Metaphysics being what they  are, we know you can only attend one school"

Edited by jej3

34 minutes ago, PizzaCat93 said:

I'm a first year at UNC now. Myself and two others in my cohort of 13 were off the waitlist. They admit off the waitlist every year. So, you certainly have a chance. Although, note that one of us got accepted on April 15.

Thanks for the info! Certainly hope not to have to wait it out until April 15, but good to know nonetheless.

@magicdonhuang and @mstama123 Not claiming the JHU offer, but a professor emailed me on Monday asking if I was still considering the school (so that he could advocate for me @ the adcom meeting). So it could be that they've met since then, and they're doing it earlier this year than previously.

Edited by Bibica

3 minutes ago, Bibica said:

@magicdonhuang and @mstama123 Not claiming the JHU offer, but a professor emailed me on Monday asking if I was still considering the school (so that he could advocate for me @ the adcom meeting). So it could be that they've met since then, and they're doing it earlier this year than previously.

I didn't take enough antacids this morning for this.

15 minutes ago, electrosity said:

I am claiming a Vanderbilt admit! My subfield is American politics.

Congrats! Email from POI or DGS?

Just now, electrosity said:

Thanks! Email from POI this morning followed by email with funding info from DGS this afternoon.

Thanks for the info. Well, I'll hope, but probably there will be no good news for me on that end then.

In the last 24 hours I've received rejections from Stanford, Stanford GSB, and Michigan and no acceptance from Yale with credible claims in the thread.

Needless to say, my ego is well-bruised. Thank god it's the weekend.

Only waiting on Harvard now. Not feeling optimistic given recent rejections so I'm pretty much calling this cycle a wrap for me. Overall I hoped and expected I would do better this cycle but I have offers in hand that I'm happy with so it's hard to feel too down in the dumps.

Subfield: American Politics (Public Opinion)

Stats: 162Q/168V 4.5 AWA, 3.74 GPA (Poli Sci major, Stats minor), co-authored paper under review

Accepted: Berkeley (TBA), Chicago ($25k for 5 years)

Wait-listed: Princeton

Rejected: Stanford, Stanford GSB, Michigan, Yale

Pending: Harvard

Edited by AsymptoticallyUnbiased

14 minutes ago, magicdonhuang said:

So are we expecting more action this evening and into the weekend proper? Or will it calm down until Monday A.M.

It's Presidents' Day on Monday so I'm assuming there won't be too much action (among U.S. schools) until Tuesday?