Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

On 2/18/2017 at 11:07 AM, Mike_Novick said:

A question to more experienced fellows here: is it worth to ask departments why they have rejected my application? I mean, I really would like to know what major flaws I'd need to handle if I ever apply again. In Stanford's case, they've explicitly mention that would not answer specific inquiries in this regard. But what about other programs? What strategies would you consider to be the most adequate to gather impressions about what needs to be improved? Thanks.

My first cycle I was able to get in as a terminal M.A., and because of that I figured out what I needed to be successful this time (and it worked).  First off, the most important thing you can do is have a solid SOP with well-defined research goals.  Only choose programs to apply that have at least 2 tenured faculty members researching in areas close to what you want to study, and be as specific as possible.  Most of the SOP should deal with research interests, professors, and how well you fit with the program.  Fit, fit, fit.  Second, it is vital to have the best rec letters you can get, all 3 from tenured faculty in your field if possible.  I had one adcom chair tell me that if a professor he trusted said that student x is a rock star, he would put a whole lot more weight on that than a high GPA and a GRE in the 160s.

Having something published is obviously a plus also, but programs are more concerned about whether you can complete the curriculum and form a dissertation committee.  Stats are important if you are aiming at a top 15 program, so if that's what you want, make sure your GRE is up to snuff.  If you want to get in somewhere that teaches high-level quantitative chops you need a high math score and some background in it.  Otherwise, I would have a professor you trust read over your SOP.  That's what I did, that and a successful M.A. program got me where I wanted to go.

My UMD portal finally changed from "Under Departmental Review" to "Under Graduate School Review"... wondering what this means. Especially since it sounds like others have already received e-mails from POIs and such. Waitlist, maybe?

7 minutes ago, tkid86 said:

My UMD portal finally changed from "Under Departmental Review" to "Under Graduate School Review"... wondering what this means. Especially since it sounds like others have already received e-mails from POIs and such. Waitlist, maybe?

Mine still says "Under Departmental/Program Review".

7 minutes ago, yousowildrach said:

Still waiting from Northwestern, UPenn, and UWA... I haven't heard from Northwestern, maybe I'm on a wait list? 

Still waiting for them, too. There was a waitlist post this morning so I'm hoping that's the case.

1 hour ago, Historiaeros said:

I saw two posts about Northwestern in theory field this morning, which makes me super nervous now. I have heard NOTHING from them so far.  Anyone still waiting for them?

Still waiting as well. But I, like a few others in here, have basically written it off as a rejection. Would love to be proven wrong though!

16 minutes ago, cydxb said:

@Historiaeros @krapp I'm also getting the silent treatment from Northwestern and have written it off as a rejection. 

Same here. It seems like someone said that this was the week Northwestern was looking to "finalize their list," but not sure what that even means (assuming it was true).

39 minutes ago, bgjoecool27 said:

Anybody else's status for Hopkins change to "Applicant Complete"?

13 minutes ago, Bibica said:

@bgjoecool27 Yep, mine did as well.

Mine too. I don't think it's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm thinking it just means they're done reviewing and we can expect a decision soon. 

4 hours ago, krapp said:

Still waiting as well. But I, like a few others in here, have basically written it off as a rejection. Would love to be proven wrong though!

I feel you. Seeing is believing, so I still have some hope.

3 hours ago, cydxb said:

@Historiaeros @krapp I'm also getting the silent treatment from Northwestern and have written it off as a rejection. 

It seems many people on the same boat. I remembered their website said, "our results are not issued at the same time". This endless waiting is devouring me...

3 hours ago, RevTheory1126 said:

Same here. It seems like someone said that this was the week Northwestern was looking to "finalize their list," but not sure what that even means (assuming it was true).

I guess this is the week since they claimed on the website they would give result in the mid-Feb.