Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

Y'all, I just got a rejection from a school that I did not even finish the application for after deciding I didn't want to go there :lol: ha! So much for not reviewing incomplete applications?! I guess the feeling was mutual.

Edited by mstama123

If anyone who snatched up a Yale admit would like to talk with a current grad student (5th year), please feel free to PM me. Happy to offer advice - anonymously or otherwise.

Also I should note that the "list" hasn't been sent out by our department so all hope may not be lost. Back in the day I got my "admit" email at 2am on a Wednesday because my POI was in Thailand and hadn't gotten around to it before then.

23 minutes ago, Hates_Goats said:

I will claim a GMU as well.  It was nice after a trio of rejections already. 

27 minutes ago, mstama123 said:

Claiming the GMU acceptance

Congratulations! How did you hear? email or status update?

7 minutes ago, swanblack said:

I see. It looks like those who have not heard by now are out.

Not necessarily. As a current student I do have some insider info. The preliminary admit list is around 20 (more or less, I can't say) and only a number of those slots will receive funding. It is quite possible that they are only notifying those admits that were on the initial funding list, and will release the rest at a later date. I find it hard to believe with so many on the admit list that only 2 of us posted, and both of us happened to receive the funding package (assuming it is all released on the same day).

Edited by mstama123

13 minutes ago, mstama123 said:

Not necessarily. As a current student I do have some insider info. The preliminary admit list is around 20 (more or less, I can't say) and only a number of those slots will receive funding. It is quite possible that they are only notifying those admits that were on the initial funding list, and will release the rest at a later date. I find it hard to believe that with so many on the admit list that only 2 of us posted, and both of us happened to receive the funding package (assuming it is all released on the same day).

Thanks for the insider info. I hope it should turn out like that. I find this program a great fit but not much hopeful as my application was weak on several counts. Despite that, though I still got two offers from SUNY Albany and Wayne State University. Neither of them is forthcoming on funding yet however. Without funding, I find little incentive to go for PHD at least for now. Even 3-4 years shoestring funding at a mid-lower tier program seems a risky adventure not only in terms of completing a degree satisfactorily but also finding a reasonable job in academia. I don't know though if my assumptions are valid, since I have not seen the future. Only heard of it.

Edited by swanblack
typo

I can't help myself to wonder: should I contact UNC-CH to ask about my status? Some people got their acceptances in late January, then some were rejected, and then some more got waitlisted last week, as per the results page. I think it will be a rejection, of course, but I think it's taking way longer than expected. My other schools issued acceptances recently, so I am not as worried to know those.

12 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

I can't help myself to wonder: should I contact UNC-CH to ask about my status? Some people got their acceptances in late January, then some were rejected, and then some more got waitlisted last week, as per the results page. I think it will be a rejection, of course, but I think it's taking way longer than expected. My other schools issued acceptances recently, so I am not as worried to know those.

If it'll give you peace of mind, do it.  Honestly, we're late enough in the process that we've all stressed enough.

1 hour ago, VMcJ said:

I guess it can't harm.

2 hours ago, VMcJ said:

Same here! i need to put myself out of this misery of the unknown. 

5 hours ago, mstama123 said:

Not necessarily. As a current student I do have some insider info. The preliminary admit list is around 20 (more or less, I can't say) and only a number of those slots will receive funding. It is quite possible that they are only notifying those admits that were on the initial funding list, and will release the rest at a later date. I find it hard to believe with so many on the admit list that only 2 of us posted, and both of us happened to receive the funding package (assuming it is all released on the same day).

It seems that the two of us claiming the two posts are both Mason students and or alumni.  So they might not have even sent out the first wave of acceptances yet.  Also, Mason does send out in waves, so this is far from over.  Best of luck to everyone with apps still out!

3 hours ago, VMcJ said:

I sent an email to the graduate coordinator last week. However, I have not received a reply. I think it is worth trying though.