Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

Claiming a UPenn admission :) (FYI for others, visiting day is March 24 and the email said that there were 300+ applicants for ~10 slots)

Also, any intel on whether UChicago is done? I haven't heard anything yet from them and it's making me antsy.

3 minutes ago, ralphwiththeconch said:

Claiming a UPenn admission :) (FYI for others, visiting day is March 24 and the email said that there were 300+ applicants for ~10 slots)

Also, any intel on whether UChicago is done? I haven't heard anything yet from them and it's making me antsy.

Could be a Master's program offer from UChicago coming soon. That's what they do most of the time I think. 

@jazzmintea ah thanks for that reminder, I've heard that they often do that (a Master's unfortunately wouldn't be ideal for me). Do you know if they are done with their PhD acceptances? I'm thinking that, given that some superstar folks have multiple offers, we might be waiting for second rounds from schools once first round offers have been turned down...

2 minutes ago, ralphwiththeconch said:

@jazzmintea ah thanks for that reminder, I've heard that they often do that (a Master's unfortunately wouldn't be ideal for me). Do you know if they are done with their PhD acceptances? I'm thinking that, given that some superstar folks have multiple offers, we might be waiting for second rounds from schools once first round offers have been turned down...

Think I saw someone mention in the Results section that there is no wait list... So I guess it's either rejection or offer from CIR....and I won't be accepting CIR offer for sure. 

Chicago is most definitely done. They are one of those programs that doesn't send rejections for a long time...although IIRC there were a couple of doctoral admits in previous years with the rejection waves so who knows.

7 hours ago, Wongs said:

can I know what is it about? are you saying the acceptance?

Great Thanks!

Sorry, it wasn't very clear. I received an acceptance email and letter from the department last week, yesterday the formal offer from the university was updated on the portal. 

2 hours ago, Mnemonist Kenny said:

- does anyone hear about Georgetown and Cuny?

Still waiting on both. Looking at the results board CUNY seems to be late in the cycle usually. Georgetown I have no idea.

And come on Northwestern. I know it's it's rejection, you know it's a rejection...Just send me the email and let's get this over with!

5 minutes ago, dih2 said:

Has anyone who got accepted to Yale heard more details about the visiting weekend? Is it funded? I just know the dates, but have heard nothing else. 

Sorry to repeat the question, but have anyone in American Politics heard from Yale yet?

When is the visiting weekend, by the way?  Maybe that will shed some light on when we can all expect to hear by.  Thanks!

@HermioneWannabe I know someone in AP who was rejected. It could be that no one who uses this site got an offer for AP? I only say that because I've already gotten my official letter and in previous years Yale sent those all out at once.

However, visiting days are quite late (April 4-6) so they may have some stuff to sent out still? I'm not sure how likely that is.

Just now, Bibica said:

@HermioneWannabe I know someone in AP who was rejected. It could be that no one who uses this site got an offer for AP? I only say that because I've already gotten my official letter and in previous years Yale sent those all out at once.

However, visiting days are quite late (April 4-6) so they may have some stuff to sent out still? I'm not sure how likely that is.

Thanks, that's helpful!

It's just weird to me that some rejections have gone out and I haven't heard anything yet, especially since they're known for sending everything out back to back.

19 minutes ago, Bibica said:

by the letter, do you just mean what was updated on the website (the letter from the dean)? Or have you received a package with more substantive info?

Also, just to repeat, are these visiting days funded? I need to figure things out financially if not...

4 minutes ago, dih2 said:

by the letter, do you just mean what was updated on the website (the letter from the dean)? Or have you received a package with more substantive info?

Also, just to repeat, are these visiting days funded? I need to figure things out financially if not...

The letter on the website. It included funding, did it not? My first email from ad comm also included details on the funding package.

I haven't received anything else about the visiting days but I'm sure it's funded. I did get info about diversity recruitment days (3/26-7) but won't be able to attend. That one offered a $400 travel voucher (they scheduled your travel) and put you with graduate students for that time.

26 minutes ago, Bibica said:

The letter on the website. It included funding, did it not? My first email from ad comm also included details on the funding package.

I haven't received anything else about the visiting days but I'm sure it's funded. I did get info about diversity recruitment days (3/26-7) but won't be able to attend. That one offered a $400 travel voucher (they scheduled your travel) and put you with graduate students for that time.

It included some vague language "fellowship for the first 2 years, TA the next 2 years, dissertation fellowship after that" But I was hoping for some specificity (especially on compensation during the years when you teach.)

I also understand yale is going through this grad student unionization debate. Does anyone know of an objective source of information for how that might effect future grad students? How could funding packages change? What would union dues look like? How would it effect ability to work as an RA, etc.