Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

4 minutes ago, VMcJ said:

Yes. A professor signed, but using the Admissions email account.

Thanks for the info...although I guess I just had to wait a couple minutes because I got the same email a moment ago.

10 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Yeah, Harvard would be the last stand. And at this point - not a chance in hell I'm getting accepted so it would be pretty much over.

and with that, all I am waiting for now is Harvard and that is highly unlikely for me as well. Calling it an end to my decent cycle. 

I have to wait for six responses. UNC, Rochester, ND and Maryland have had acceptances on the results page, I don't hope much from them. Vanderbilt must be out today or Monday. The real question for me now is Penn.

I cannot complain. If somebody said to me three months ago that I would have five good offers I would not believe. I'm sorry for those who weren't as lucky, but I can say this (and I've said a couple of times here already): there is always next cycle, and this doesn't have to be the end.

Edited by VMcJ

Received my Michigan and Stanford rejections today, which means that I have officially heard back from every program to which I applied! I'm done! I never thought it would feel good to receive back-to-back rejections, but now that I have received all my official decisions I can finally focus on making my own decision. While I didn't get into my top choices, I met (and exceeded) my own goal for this cycle: to receive a fully funded offer from one of the programs to which I had applied. Thanks to all of you wonderful posters for the congratulations/commiseration throughout this tumultuous process - none of my friends or acquaintances are applying to grad school this cycle, and thus gradcafe has been a welcome outlet for admissions anxiety/elation.

I will definitely be sticking around while everybody else receives their final decisions, and anybody with questions about living in Ann Arbor/Philadelphia/D.C. should feel free to DM me. I think I'll also take the liberty of starting the wrap-up thread, and (again) I encourage everybody to post as much of your profile and results as you're comfortable sharing.

1 minute ago, dagnabbit said:

Received my Michigan and Stanford rejections today, which means that I have officially heard back from every program to which I applied! I'm done! I never thought it would feel good to receive back-to-back rejections, but now that I have received all my official decisions I can finally focus on making my own decision. While I didn't get into my top choices, I met (and exceeded) my own goal for this cycle: to receive a fully funded offer from one of the programs to which I had applied. Thanks to all of you wonderful posters for the congratulations/commiseration throughout this tumultuous process - none of my friends or acquaintances are applying to grad school this cycle, and thus gradcafe has been a welcome outlet for admissions anxiety/elation.

I will definitely be sticking around while everybody else receives their final decisions, and anybody with questions about living in Ann Arbor/Philadelphia/D.C. should feel free to DM me. I think I'll also take the liberty of starting the wrap-up thread, and (again) I encourage everybody to post as much of your profile and results as you're comfortable sharing.

Ditto if you need info about Philly (especially Penn) or DC!

3 minutes ago, dagnabbit said:

That's awesome. I'll wait for all my answers to post there, but I think everybody here should do it.

1 minute ago, HermioneWannabe said:

Ditto if you need info about Philly (especially Penn) or DC!

Do you happen to have intel on when Penn will send its decisions?

Just now, VMcJ said:

That's awesome. I'll wait for all my answers to post there, but I think everybody here should do it.

Do you happen to have intel on when Penn will send its decisions?

So I think this is late for them now. They tend to be all over the place, but last year they had the RSVPs for the visiting day around now.  When I talked to a professor of mine last week (not on adcom) she said they hadn't made decisions yet. 

1 minute ago, HermioneWannabe said:

So I think this is late for them now. They tend to be all over the place, but last year they had the RSVPs for the visiting day around now.  When I talked to a professor of mine last week (not on adcom) she said they hadn't made decisions yet. 

Sorry for the second post.  I know sometimes there are delays due to the graduate school itself, not the department.  I worked for the department in the past so definitely DM me (anyone) if you have questions about the school, professors, etc.  It's a great school that I love dearly at the very least!

6 hours ago, southside said:

Anybody have a sense / experience of the UNC waitlist? Does it seem realistic that at least a few admits would get better offers? Or even better, anyone here planning on turning down UNC?

I'm obsessing over these things largely by myself since I'm international, so any info would be much appreciated.

I'm a first year at UNC now. Myself and two others in my cohort of 13 were off the waitlist. They admit off the waitlist every year. So, you certainly have a chance. Although, note that one of us got accepted on April 15.

3 minutes ago, dagnabbit said:

Just gonna leave this here. Once you've heard back from all of your programs and you've had time to think through your advice/closing thoughts, please post! It's for science! :lol:

Boy do I ever have some good advice/closing thoughts. Primarily, don't try to write your SOPs as you're desperately trying to finish a 100+ page thesis in a single semester. As I've read over my admissions material again (also, don't do this), I see so many errors (or just general drabness) that I know stemmed from pouring every ounce of energy into my thesis. 

4 minutes ago, Comparativist said:

Yale sure is acting weird. 

In what way? I'm trying to relax and telling myself that I'll know in seventy-two hours for Yale if the results stick to the past trend of admits and rejections at the same time. I've got fun plans for tonight and I don't want to be thinking about this throughout the night.