Welcome to the 2016-17 cycle!

6 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Thank you! Yes I'm trying to visit them all if my work will let me take off enough days :unsure: What about you guys? It's going to be a really really tough decision and I'm going to try to focus on faculty fit, the grad student culture, and quality of life/location. It's the next 5-7(+) years of our lives! 

I've RSVP'd for Berkeley, Princeton, and Columbia. Princeton and Columbia are on the same week luckily so I'll just stay an extra day in NYC, and then my super late Spring Break will start. Those are the only ones unless I miraculously get into Yale or Harvard. Luckily I'm only in two real classes this semester so I won't miss too much.

Hey guys, I recently discovered this forum so if my questions were already answered in the past, I am sorry.

I was wandering what are the chances for those in the wait list? People are really accepted after suffering in this list or it's a long shot? I am in the wait list of Duke, my dream department, and I don't know if I should keep my hopes up.

Related to that question, what do you guys think about trying again next year? I was approved by two programs that are ok, but for some reason I am not very excited about them. I was thinking in sending pretty much the same material but really increase my GRE scores (currently 158V and 159Q). I guess the GRE is the main reason why I wasn't accepted by Duke, and probably the reason why I will not be accepted by Yale, MIT and Northwestern (about those three I haven't received any notice yet).

Thanks and sorry for the long text, I am desperate by now.

Morning GC! A few updates / thoughts that might be helpful:

1. Harvard: My sources (:ph34r:) tell me that we can expect to hear back during the last two days of February. Anything before then is likely trolls / not the Gov Dept. 

2. Stanford: A department administrator has now been in touch regarding $$ and visiting days, so I think that it's safe to say now that all the offers are out. 

3. MIT: Congrats @zapatos! I hope some offers will continue to trickle out today... 

And while I'm taking up space: any intel on Yale would be much appreciated! 

Edited by oakeshott

2 hours ago, oakeshott said:

Morning GC! A few updates / thoughts that might be helpful:

1. Harvard: My sources (:ph34r:) tell me that we can expect to hear back during the last two days of February. Anything before then is likely trolls / not the Gov Dept. 

2. Stanford: A department administrator has now been in touch regarding $$ and visiting days, so I think that it's safe to say now that all the offers are out. 

3. MIT: Congrats @zapatos! I hope some offers will continue to trickle out today... 

And while I'm taking up space: any intel on Yale would be much appreciated! 

Helpful! Out of curiosity though, how sure are you about Harvard? You think that post on the results page is a troll?

Anybody have a sense / experience of the UNC waitlist? Does it seem realistic that at least a few admits would get better offers? Or even better, anyone here planning on turning down UNC?

I'm obsessing over these things largely by myself since I'm international, so any info would be much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, dih2 said:

Helpful! Out of curiosity though, how sure are you about Harvard? You think that post on the results page is a troll?

It's impossible to be certain about this stuff, but I would say it's pretty solid intel.

As far as I can tell, every legit-looking post on the results page so far is for the HKS program (even the one mistakenly labeled as GSAS). I'd say the two "political science" rejections are trolls. 

@oakeshott, I'm guessing that the Yale posts were trolls (guessing? or maybe hoping?) And you're right, of course, but last year they came out on the 24th-26th (with a few people being notified on the 18th!!!) and I was hoping that downward trend would continue :P But hey, they're Harvard, they could notify us on April 14th and still compete for our affections.

10 minutes ago, Bibica said:

@oakeshott, I'm guessing that the Yale posts were trolls (guessing? or maybe hoping?) And you're right, of course, but last year they came out on the 24th-26th (with a few people being notified on the 18th!!!) and I was hoping that downward trend would continue :P But hey, they're Harvard, they could notify us on April 14th and still compete for our affections.

I think the year before last they actually came out on the 16th! Really gave me heartburn last night lol.

And there is a new entry for Rochester claiming that all admission offers were sent. No hope on that end, but I'll keep waiting for the rejection email.

13 hours ago, Bibica said:

I've RSVP'd for Berkeley, Princeton, and Columbia. Princeton and Columbia are on the same week luckily so I'll just stay an extra day in NYC, and then my super late Spring Break will start. Those are the only ones unless I miraculously get into Yale or Harvard. Luckily I'm only in two real classes this semester so I won't miss too much.

RSVPing for Berkeley today. Hope to see you there! Is there any etiquette for meeting other Grad Cafers? Would love to meet some of you all but not sure if people tend to prefer anonymity re: their account name.