SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

Hey there!

I'm new, so if I'm posting this in the wrong place or there is already a thread, feel free to help me delete it! :P

Just getting ready to send off my SSHRC from the U.S., and thought a forum to share updates,  questions, etc. would be useful.

I can start off with a question! Does anybody know if the P.O. box address that SSHRC gives means that I should not use a "request signature" option? That seems to make sense to me, but I don't really know. I definitely want tracking . . .

And does it seem risky to send it in a paper envelope that's not waterproof? Am I overthinking this?

Cheers!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Logik said:

Just received notice that my application was forwarded to the national competition

Hi Logik,

Did you university inform you, or did you receive notice via mail?

EDIT:  and also, CONGRATS!!! That's a major hurdle to overcome! (Which is the first thing I should have said.  Sorry!)

Edited by Beals
for reasons of selfishness

On 1/24/2017 at 1:13 PM, Beals said:

Hi Logik,

Did you university inform you, or did you receive notice via mail?

EDIT:  and also, CONGRATS!!! That's a major hurdle to overcome! (Which is the first thing I should have said.  Sorry!)

Thanks!!

I got two emails, one from SSHRC with an application number and one from the University.

I applied but as a direct entry applicant so I'm not sure if the notification process is different.... But I haven't heard anything at all (mail or email!), so that's probably bad news. 

My uni emailed me in Dec. to let me know that I would be forwarded and gave me an opportunity to update the contributions section (which was nice, as I had a conference to add). Then my uni let me know in Jan. and I heard from SSHRC giving me, as noted above by Logik, an application number.

Good luck, Beals. I've heard it's a different process with direct applicants. They may be just going through the Uni-affiliated applications first. 

On 2017-01-26 at 4:10 AM, Beals said:

I applied but as a direct entry applicant so I'm not sure if the notification process is different.... But I haven't heard anything at all (mail or email!), so that's probably bad news. 

I also applied as a direct applicant. I don't think there is any bad news this early on! My understanding is that both direct and via university applicants won't know if their applications have been forwarded/recommended for 'round two' until late February. I think that applicants who say their applications were recently forwarded mean that their universities decided to forward their applications to SSHRC. So direct applicants and via university applicants should be at a similar stage in the process now (i.e., applications are physically sitting somewhere in the offices of SSHRC), and we should all start to find out if our applications make it to round two by the end of February.

This is my first time applying, so I may not be accurate! This is only what I have gathered from reading the SSHRC website, and through reading feeds from previous years.

Edited by RailRoadToad
typo

7 hours ago, RailRoadToad said:

I also applied as a direct applicant. I don't think there is any bad news this early on! My understanding is that both direct and via university applicants won't know if their applications have been forwarded/recommended for 'round two' until late February. I think that applicants who say their applications were recently forwarded mean that their universities decided to forward their applications to SSHRC. So direct applicants and via university applicants should be at a similar stage in the process now (i.e., applications are physically sitting somewhere in the offices of SSHRC), and we should all start to find out if our applications make it to round two by the end of February.

oh gosh, thank you for this!  i'm trying very hard not to read too much on this forum, on past years threads, etc., because it's bad for my anxiety, but the result is that I'm sort of confused about timelines??? which is maybe better than stress from knowing when exactly something happened last year, but also maybe isn't. Ha! Application season is a bundle of fun. 

Anyhow, thanks for the clarification!  Good luck re: your application!

16 hours ago, RailRoadToad said:

This is my first time applying, so I may not be accurate! This is only what I have gathered from reading the SSHRC website, and through reading feeds from previous years.

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-financement/programs-programmes/fellowships/doctoral-doctorat-eng.aspx#a6

This spells out the process fairly well for both direct and uni-based applications. For those of us applying through a quota'd university, to be 'forwarded' means we've made it to step 4.

10 hours ago, Beals said:

oh gosh, thank you for this!  i'm trying very hard not to read too much on this forum, on past years threads, etc., because it's bad for my anxiety, but the result is that I'm sort of confused about timelines??? which is maybe better than stress from knowing when exactly something happened last year, but also maybe isn't. Ha! Application season is a bundle of fun. 

Anyhow, thanks for the clarification!  Good luck re: your application!

Best of luck to you as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Awaiting a letter myself as I had to apply directly (am studying outside of North America). Last year I wasn't passed on to the national competition, but the year before I was. Hoping for best out of three. I'd won an MA SSHRC but that's not any indication of being eligible for a PhD SSHRC, apparently. The strength of the application remains a mystery to me. This year I totally overhauled it, from formatting to content. I'm always so worried that one glaring error will stand out and ruin the whole application. Saw a couple of smaller errors two days after I'd mailed it...  

The email I received in November after I'd applied was just a notification of having received my application, posting it here if anyone needs confirmation of what they might receive: 

"The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council acknowledges receipt of your application to the Doctoral Awards.
Your application number is: xxx-xxxx-xxxx.  Please use it in all communications with SSHRC.
Please DO NOT direct questions or concerns regarding your application to this email address.
Instead, if you have any questions or require any further information, please contact us at fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca.
The result of this competition will be sent by mail to the correspondence address provided in your application.  Please provide us with any changes to your address by sending an email to fellowships@sshrc-crsh.gc.ca.
Note: There is no document attached to this message.  Depending on your software, it may appear as though there is an attachment.  If so, please ignore the message."

Good luck everyone

6 hours ago, SadieLou said:

Not so great! I am so poor—I so want this! :P Just gotta remember that life will go on . . .

I hear ya! Did you apply directly or through a university? I applied directly, so Im hoping to hear something in the next 2 or 3 weeks :o 

Hi everyone!

It is my first time applying for the SSHRC doctoral scholarship. I received an email in January confirming that my application was being forwarded to the SSHRC, but last week I saw that my application no longer appears in my SSHRC account. Is that normal ? :o 

Oh and April/May seems so far....

I applied directly as well! I'm studying in Atlanta. Getting my letters of recommendation here and mailing them back to Canada was sure a treat. :/

Brillantine, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that--but if you received notification that you were being forwarded, I personally wouldn't worry about it. Maybe somebody else here has some insight. 

For anyone else stressing out about it : I read on a wiki about SSHRC postdoctoral fellowships that they usually take the applications off the website 30 days after they were submitted... they probably do the same thing with doctoral applications (and personally I guess it has been at least 30 days since they forwarded my application directly to SSHRC).