SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship/CGS Doctoral Scholarship 2017/2018

SadieLou

1 hour ago, violabec said:

My guess is that it's going to be at least another 2 weeks before we know. :unsure:

Also, at least at my Uni, the students will know before the department. (At least, this what I've been told--and what happened last year.)

I expect the snail mails to be sent out starting next week.

1 hour ago, violabec said:

My guess is that it's going to be at least another 2 weeks before we know. :unsure:

Also, at least at my Uni, the students will know before the department. (At least, this what I've been told--and what happened last year.)

I think you're right. I'm hoping for the week of the 24th. I think that's around the same time people started hearing back last year. Fingers crossed that we at least hear back before May :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, sshrcjerk said:

Anyone else log into their online portfolio and see the "CGS - Michel Smith Foreign Study Award"? Looks like this changed early April for me... Not sure if this is an indicator or what....

Messages Image(3435477716).png

I thought you weren't allowed to apply for that unless you were  a current SSHRC CGS holder.

3 hours ago, sshrcjerk said:

Anyone else log into their online portfolio and see the "CGS - Michel Smith Foreign Study Award"? Looks like this changed early April for me... Not sure if this is an indicator or what....

Yeah--I have that too if I click on "create new form" -- Not sure what that means... 

3 hours ago, sshrcjerk said:

I have the exact same thing on my screen, right under Create New Form. 

3 hours ago, red_fife said:

Hmmmm I don't have the "Michael Smith" in mine, maybe you folks have won it!

I think Michael Smith is only for those eligible for CGS; not for those who are only eligible for the regular SSHRC scholarship.  So, if you don't qualify anyway for CGS then you wouldn't quality for Michael Smith.  That's my understanding at least, I could be wrong.   Or, maybe if you don't have it then you may still be qualified for SSHRC but not CGS?  Best not to read too much into it.

4 hours ago, red_fife said:

It doesn't mean anything, it is just the next award application/deadline that SSHRC has going. It is showing up on mine, and I know that even if I win (I applied for the one-year doctoral grant), I am not eligible to apply for the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement (it is only for CGS holders). :)

21 hours ago, apoc19 said:

Just asked my school, they don't have the results but will mail the department whenever they do.

I think we're waiting till the middle of next week at least. URGH.

damn they are slow this year..mails should have been sent out this week

21 hours ago, apoc19 said:

Just asked my school, they don't have the results but will mail the department whenever they do.

I think we're waiting till the middle of next week at least. URGH.

I got a similar answer from my school. They told me the results should be sent in the next few days... 

9 hours ago, red_fife said:

4 hours ago, tylextylarus said:

It doesn't mean anything, it is just the next award application/deadline that SSHRC has going. It is showing up on mine, and I know that even if I win (I applied for the one-year doctoral grant), I am not eligible to apply for the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement (it is only for CGS holders). :)

I don't know, maybe there's something to this.  I'm applying for the 2-year grant and I don't see see the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement form when I log in...So perhaps if it's showing up it means you're at least in the system for any of their awards?  Just speculating here, obviously will be able to confirm in a few weeks.  As a side note, what a shitty way to find out!

13 minutes ago, CrunchCrunch said:

I don't know, maybe there's something to this.  I'm applying for the 2-year grant and I don't see see the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement form when I log in...So perhaps if it's showing up it means you're at least in the system for any of their awards?  Just speculating here, obviously will be able to confirm in a few weeks.  As a side note, what a shitty way to find out!

If you look back through previous years' threads, you'll see that this happens every single year. And every year, it's the same conclusion: there is no correlation between seeing the Supplement on your portal and getting a SSHRC. There are two SSHRC portals: one general one and one for the doctoral fellowship. They don't show the same thing when you log in (go figure!) and only the doctoral portal displays the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement. It appears for everyone, even those who don't get the scholarship or who are not eligible for the supplement. 

I hope this will reassure some people! 

(Edited in case you want to check for yourself: link for the general portal -- https://webapps.nserc.ca/SSHRC/faces/logon.jsp and link for the doctoral portal -- https://webapps.nserc.ca/SSHRC/faces/logonFellowships.jsp?lang=en_CA ) 

Edited by Melian4

6 minutes ago, Melian4 said:

If you look back through previous years' threads, you'll see that this happens every single year. And every year, it's the same conclusion: there is no correlation between seeing the Supplement on your portal and getting a SSHRC or not. There are two SSHRC portals: one general one and one for the doctoral fellowship. They don't show the same thing when you log in (go figure!) and only the doctoral portal displays the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement. It appears for everyone, even those who don't get the scholarship or who are not eligible for the supplement. 

You are my hero.  I just logged in through the doctoral portal and I can see the form there, while I cannot see the form when I login through the general portal.  What a stupid system.  

As yes, you have reassured me that there is absolutely no correlation.

Edited by CrunchCrunch
additional text

3 hours ago, Melian4 said:

If you look back through previous years' threads, you'll see that this happens every single year. And every year, it's the same conclusion: there is no correlation between seeing the Supplement on your portal and getting a SSHRC. There are two SSHRC portals: one general one and one for the doctoral fellowship. They don't show the same thing when you log in (go figure!) and only the doctoral portal displays the Michael Smith Foreign Supplement. It appears for everyone, even those who don't get the scholarship or who are not eligible for the supplement. 

(Edited in case you want to check for yourself: link for the general portal -- https://webapps.nserc.ca/SSHRC/faces/logon.jsp and link for the doctoral portal -- https://webapps.nserc.ca/SSHRC/faces/logonFellowships.jsp?lang=en_CA ) 

I have it in neither portal :-/

this is too much. :( also, my letter will be sent to yellowknife so that's gonna take so long. i am in an american institution, will they inform my university's award person? and will the award person tell my department head? is that how it works?

Edited by spicytunaroll