Fall 2017 PhD Application

bachelorette

10 hours ago, lingg said:

Sociolinguistics + Phonetics! Actually this is also one reason I've been thinking about, as I noticed that soooo many people are applying for socio. I tried asking one POI who sent me the rejection personally (rather than giving a generic letter on the system) but I haven't heard back since. May I know what's your subfield?

That could be a reason, socio getting very popular. You might get an answer yet. I do phonology. 

11 hours ago, Dwr said:

That could be a reason, socio getting very popular. You might get an answer yet. I do phonology. 

Oh I actually talked about phonetics + phonology in my application to some not so socio-oriented schools :) thank you and best of luck to your studies!!

4 hours ago, lingg said:

Oh I actually talked about phonetics + phonology in my application to some not so socio-oriented schools :) thank you and best of luck to your studies!!

I hope you get accepted to a programme that will make you happy! :)

On 2/9/2017 at 4:48 PM, Lukebw said:

Hi there. I was accepted by UC Davis a few days ago. I am sorry to hear that you are waitlisted. Are you also on the language and mind/brain track? I am not sure whether you still want to go there, but I want to let you know that it is very possible that I will decline the offer. I have got an offer from a university and am still waiting for the decision from another university, which may send out their decisions in early March. So I will make my decisions in about mid March. Sorry for keeping you waiting. I sincerely hope you will have good news from other universities! 

Hi, congrats on your acceptances! I am on the language mind/brain track and I think Davis is my top choice, so if you do decide to go somewhere else, that may be to my benefit. :)  I'll keep my hopes up into March. 

Edited by cubitl

Does anyone have info on decisions for UCSD or USC? I saw a couple interview invites for UCSD, so I'm assuming that no news is bad news, but I haven't seen any results from USC yet.

Edited by cubitl

On 2017. 2. 13. at 0:04 PM, cubitl said:

Does anyone have info on decisions for UCSD or USC? I saw a couple interview invites for UCSD, so I'm assuming that no news is bad news, but I haven't seen any results from USC yet.

Hi,

USC has sent out admissions. My friend got an admission.

Is there anyone who went to the University of Michigan's campus visit? I did not make it to the campus but did Skype interviews instead. Do you know how many people are shortlisted and when the admission decisions will be made? Thanks very much!

Edited by Lukebw

Hey mates! I need your help on my SOP. 

I was rejected by two dream schools and assume the third rejection from MIT soon. I realise I just mentioned the list of POIs but didn't elaborate on how exactly my research interest fits with theirs, as I want to be open for other topics. May I ask whether it's necessary to do so if I really want to get in top schools like MIT or UMass?

Edited by A'-movement geek

29 minutes ago, A'-movement geek said:

Hey mates! I need your help on my SOP. 

I was rejected by two dream schools and assume the third rejection from MIT soon. I realise I just mentioned the list of POIs but didn't elaborate on how exactly my research interest fits with theirs, as I want to be open for other topics. May I ask whether it's necessary to do so if I really want to get in top schools like MIT or UMass?

It's hard to say without seeing your SOP, but just listing POIs without explaining how your interests match with theirs probably leaves something to be desired. Everyone knows that whatever you pitch in your SOP is unlikely to be what you end up doing, so I don't think you need to worry about committing to a topic. Especially at places like MIT, you won't even start working on a project until at least the second semester of first year, and you're able to meet with whoever you want and switch at any time. You're not obligated to continue doing anything you're not interested in. (UMass is slightly different, but still.)

I agree that it's good to be open-minded, but that can be interpreted as having a broad interest (or set of related interests) with some specific and well-articulated sub-questions that might change over time (and might even be preceded by a "for instance"). Being vague isn't a good solution here. You want to show that you can formulate interesting, relevant, and well-thought-out questions and that you are prepared to study them, given your background. Also that Awesome U is the right place to go if you want to study questions like the ones your discussed. If you can do that in your SOP, you'll be able to do it again if and when your interests change in grad school. If you can't do this now, who's to say that you'll be able to later, or even that you are ready for a PhD or that the program(s) you applied to are a good fit? Those are the questions that your SOP's readers will be asking themselves.

Hi! Does anyone know anything about rejections from University of Washington Seattle? I have seen two acceptances on the results page in the beginning of February and I know I (and some others) have been waitlisted. But I'm wondering whether maybe they haven't rejected anyone yet, which would make the (sort of) waitlist very long (and my chances very low!)...

Does anyone know anything about the Institute of Linguistics at the University of Minnesota? 

Since I submitted my application before 15th Dec, nothing is heard from them. The application status on the portal is still "AWAITING FOR PROGRAM DECISION"...

It will be March tomorrow, I just want to know when they release the results. 

On 2/24/2017 at 0:41 PM, Jaccard said:

Hi! Does anyone know anything about rejections from University of Washington Seattle? I have seen two acceptances on the results page in the beginning of February and I know I (and some others) have been waitlisted. But I'm wondering whether maybe they haven't rejected anyone yet, which would make the (sort of) waitlist very long (and my chances very low!)...

Hey, I never got outright rejected by them but for some reason I've got a new text box telling me to create a UW NetID. Maybe it's not new and I only just noticed it, but there's no sign that I have been rejected.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2017 at 1:41 PM, Jaccard said:

Hey, so I got waitlisted last week. It might be that things are moving slowly, especially since the cohort is so small. 

Do people usually wait until April 15 to accept and decline offers? I was waitlisted at my top choice and was told I have a good chance of being admitted, but I'm not sure when I might hear.