I'm applying to 8.  I was originally aiming for 10+ because I wanted the best possible chance, but then I decided my applications would probably be of better quality if I was only applying to schools that I actually want to go to.  

I had an advisor say that the average number of schools people apply to is between 5-10.  I think it depends on your confidence in your stats, the amount of money you have, and how much time you're willing to put into applications.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only applying to 4... does that seem low?

I'm applying to one out of state, where my BF lives, and the other three in state. I truly don't think I'd be able to afford going out of state elsewhere and live alone/with new people and feel secure financially. I'm not scared too... I'm just nervous money-wise.

This is so stressful, ugh.

On 11/28/2016 at 0:50 PM, k_kismet said:

I'm applying to one out of state, where my BF lives, and the other three in state. I truly don't think I'd be able to afford going out of state elsewhere and live alone/with new people and feel secure financially. I'm not scared too... I'm just nervous money-wise.

I only applied to 2. I would have applied to a third, but I got into my first choice right before the third's application was due, so I didn't finish it. 

I think this is a really personal decision. In my case, these were the only schools that worked for what I needed who had open applications when I was applying. I knew that my GPA and GRE were high on their averages, and I felt pretty good about my odds of getting in. I had some back-up plans if that round didn't go well. I think it's personal comfort level. There was no way I could afford to send in lots of applications to schools that I wasn't sure I'd be able to go to even if I did get in. Do lots of research and go with what works for you. 

On 11/28/2016 at 0:50 PM, k_kismet said:

I don't think that's low, it's all personal preference! I was going to apply to 7, then I narrowed it down to 5. I took off schools that I wouldn't really want to go to if I got in. I'm applying all in-state as well. I was going to do one out of state, but the debt would not be worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/3/2016 at 7:04 PM, soschocking said:

How many Speech Language Pathology graduate school programs should I apply to? I was thinking 7 or 8...

I asked my advisor the same question. They said It really depends on how competitive your area is and how competitive you are as an applicant. If you feel your stats are in a comfortable range I don't know if you have to apply to a ton of schools.

I'm on the higher end because I somehow have funds for it, and I've applied to 8 so far. I have 2 others I believe I'm applying for, so mine will be 10. I kinda went a little overboard because I'm worried about getting in and want to have choices between schools.

Apply for places that you cold really see yourself going- not just to see if you'll get in. I cut down on 3 places because I knew even if I got in it would cost a fortune to go there and I really couldn't see myself doing that (and it's SUPER expensive to apply). Be mindful of how many places you're applying to.