Directing MFA 2017 - Who's with me?!

KillerWingfield

Hey all. I thought I would take the initiative to start the conversation this year. The 2015 and 2016 threads were incredibly helpful to me in my preparation for this process and I am keen on getting one rolling for this year to start a community of support and encouragement.

I've registered for URTA in New York this year and bought my plane tickets (very affordable right now). I just got the email from URTA yesterday with the list of schools recruiting directors who will be at the New York URTA. Every step of the way it feels more and more real!

Looking at the list I think I have narrowed it down to Iowa, Indiana, and East 15. I might send a letter to Illinois State as well. Their program intrigues me, but there is literally 1 small paragraph of information about their MFA program on their website, which makes me a bit leery.

I look forward to hearing from and getting to know more of you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Hello! 

I will be heading to URTAs in Chicago this year. I did URTAs for Acting in 2010 and had a great experience (and 5 acceptances.) Weirdly, most of my top choices are not taking part in URTA, but I decided to pay the one $110 fee instead of paying each school's fee. 

My top choices are: Iowa, UT Austin, Yale

Also applying to: Carnegie Mellon, UC San Diego, York/Canadian Stage

Maybe: Brown, Arizona State, Cal Arts, UC Irvine

I want programs that focus on developing new work (plays and devising), collaboration with music/dance departments, ability to learn/work with multimedia and programs that will not require me to go into much debt. Hence why my top 3 choices. 

I visited Iowa in October and met with Alan MacVey (head of the whole department) and saw a show that their students made with visiting collaborators Q Brothers from Chicago. A rap/music/dance version of Julius Ceasar which was not only crazy energy, but SMART lyrics with clever (not stupid) humor. Plus, you can work with the MFA Playwrights Workshop (arguably the top in the country) every semester if you wish. 

@KillerWingfield Having already done my MA in the UK and a close friend who did the East 15 MFA Directing course, I can give you some insight if you'd like? Let me know and we can email.  Just know that you will not be able to stay in the UK after graduation unless you get married. I was the last graduating class to have the Post-Study Visa option. That visa is now gone as well as most other visas. My friend who did the E15 course cannot recommend it to anyone... 

Very excited/nervous. I've only ever applied to a few schools before (Yale, Virginia Tech, Brooklyn College) gotten interviews but this year with where I am in my life, I feel very confident in what I want and hope that might help. 

Edited by Boseph16

Hi all. Here we go with Round 2.

Much different list of schools this year, though much like Broseph I am focusing on programs with a strong new works focus: Iowa, UC San Diego, Cal Arts, UCLA, Carnegie Mellon, Arizona State and Northwestern. CalArts is the only school that I previously applied to. 

Interesting that we're all applying to Iowa so far!

Hello @Boseph16

Thanks for the insight on studying in the UK. I was a little hesitant about the East 15 program. It didn't quite seem like what I was looking for, but I thought I would at least send them a packet and see if i can get an interview. I would be interested to know specifics as to why your friend would be unable to recommend E15 to anyone.

Hi @Directorial

I remember seeing your posts in the 2016 thread. Reading through that thread was very helpful to me in my preparations for this process - and feeling like i could do it!

I am wondering if I should be choosing a couple of schools that aren't part of URTA and apply to them as well. I remember reading somewhere that applying to multiple programs is a good idea because it shows the schools you are interested in that you are serious about going to grad school. Any insight on that, Directorial? 

The Iowa program is very exciting to me for all the reasons Boseph listed and more.

lllkll9kjjbbgggn

Hello @Boseph16

Thanks for the insight on studying in the UK. I was a little hesitant about the East 15 program. It didn't quite seem like what I was looking for, but I thought I would at least send them a packet and see if i can get an interview. I would be interested to know specifics as to why your friend would be unable to recommend E15 to anyone.

Hi @Directorial

I remember seeing your posts in the 2016 thread. Reading through that thread was very helpful to me in my preparations for this process - and feeling like i could do it!

I am wondering if I should be choosing a couple of schools that aren't part of URTA and apply to them as well. I remember reading somewhere that applying to multiple programs is a good idea because it shows the schools you are interested in that you are serious about going to grad school. Any insight on that, Directorial? 

The Iowa program is very exciting to me for all the reasons Boseph listed and more. I am jealous that you were able to make it out there, Boseph. 

As far as non URTA programs, I am looking at Northwestern and University of Washington.

Question regarding the common packet: Is there a format of some sort I should be following when writing my directorial philosophy and professional goals?

On 11/23/2016 at 1:15 PM, Directorial said:

Hi all. Here we go with Round 2.

Much different list of schools this year, though much like Broseph I am focusing on programs with a strong new works focus: Iowa, UC San Diego, Cal Arts, UCLA, Carnegie Mellon, Arizona State and Northwestern. CalArts is the only school that I previously applied to. 

Interesting that we're all applying to Iowa so far!

@Directorial looks like we have a very similar list! Will you be doing URTAs? 

Where did you apply last year? 

Do you know about CalArts funding? it seems very expensive like UCLA but do they have tuition waivers/assistantships? I can't seem to find info on that. I love both of their focus on interdisciplinary new work, but I cannot go into crazy debt again. 

Northwestern is on my list, but even though Anna Shapiro runs the program, I talked to the program administrator and there is surprisingly little amount of time spent on new work with the MFA playwrights... 

Sending in my Yale application today... NERVOUS! 

And my UCSD, UT Austin and CMU app later this week. 

Hey all! Last years forum was extremely helpful and wonderful to read and gain insights— but that still didn't prepare me for the actual mental mind f*ck of this process! Anyone else wish they could quit their survival jobs and make this whole thing a full time job? 

This is my first year going through this process and as of now I'm for certain applying to six programs. I am still contemplating applying to a few others though, if I feel I can handle it financially... and without losing my mind! BTW, I am not doing URTAs this year. 

I've already applied to Penn State (October deadline), YSD, and Columbia. I made it past the first round of Penn State and had to send in additional materials and more recommendation letters as well as write a three page pitch on a production "I've been hired to direct" choosing one of two hypothetical premises (unlimited budget; or $5,000 budget performed in a 99 seat theatre in a church basement) and between Oklahoma      and Into the Woods. Round two was due the 28th and now I wait... ( I believe there are 4 rounds).

The others I'm for sure applying to are Northwestern, Carnegie Mellon, and UCSD. Which will all be submitted within the next two weeks! 

I'm also interested in Boston, UT Austin, Brown, DePaul, CalArts and Iowa. I need to make a decision ASAP if I am going to go ahead and apply to DePaul and UT! 

@KillerWingfield you mentioned Washington. That's a program that's piqued my interest for several years and I would love to apply for their program, but I don't think they're recruiting this year... or are they now? IIRC, they weren't recruiting again until Fall 2019 admittance? 

I look forward to discussing this crazy process with all of you! This is extremely exciting and also terrifying. And with a less than 3% average acceptance rate overall, lets hope those of us on this board are apart of the 3% with offers left and right! ;) 

Edited by Loose.tap.screws

Welcome @Loose.tap.screws This will definitely be a PROCESS! Hopefully a happy one for us all. 

Just submitted my URTA packet with letters of interest for Iowa, UC Irvine and UCLA. Did anyone else think the selection of MFA Directing schools this year is very limited/small comparatively? Considering there are probably 40+ programs in the US? 

Also sent off ALL my other applications for UT Austin, YSD, UCSD and CMU. 

Now the waiting game begins..... 

Edited by Boseph16

On 12/2/2016 at 0:39 PM, Loose.tap.screws said:

you mentioned Washington. That's a program that's piqued my interest for several years and I would love to apply for their program, but I don't think they're recruiting this year... or are they now? IIRC, they weren't recruiting again until Fall 2019 admittance? 

@Loose.tap.screws Oh yeah. I must have missed that note when looking at their website. I see it now. They'll be recruiting for the 2018 program next year. Shame. I, too, have been eyeballing that program for years now. Boston was a close close third place for non urta schools this season. Looks like it gets the second place spot now.

@Boseph16 I did notice that the list seemed kind of skimpy. I didn't see the list of last year's programs, so I have nothing to compare it to, although there were several programs listed on the URTA site with a note that directing programs were available. Guess those programs just aren't recruiting this season.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my common packet for URTA. I finally got my last letter of recommendation this evening. I'll be submitting everything in the morning. I am working on my letters for Iowa and Indiana. I think I might shoot one to UC Irvine as well. I have some pretty strong reservations about East 15 especially after reading that @Boseph16 and friend seemed to have less than positive experiences studying in the UK, but I may submit to them anyway. If I get an interview I will hopefully be able to get a better idea on whether or not it would be a fit for me.

I will be working on my application materials for Northwestern and Boston over the next couple of weeks and hopefully submitting them by the 17th of this month. (One is due at the end of this month and the other in the middle of next month).

Good luck to everyone!

p.s. Sorry for the double post up there. I can't for the life of me figure out how to delete it, or even edit it. The option just isn't there.

Edited by KillerWingfield

• 2 weeks later...

Forum has gone quiet! Hope all your URTA applications are sent in and other applications are going well! 

As many have said before... I get so nervous/excited with every email I receive even though I wouldn't hear back any time soon! 

I've decided to withdraw my application from York/Canadian Stage. I made it to the next step, the program seems great and the work at CanStage is exciting, but I want to focus my attention and money on interviews in the US. 

I did also put a tracker on my website and saw that someone in London looked at my website through my URTA application, but I didn't apply to East15 so that's interesting... I but schools can see everyone's common packet even if they didn't apply there. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! Hope you guys are doing well! I've so enjoyed reading both this thread and the 2016 thread.

Got my email today - I'm interviewing with UC-Irvine and Arizona State. Super excited with what I got, as it's my first year and my resume is scarce. 

Anything I should know about these two programs? Anyone else interviewing with them?

Congrats @mcneelal! Will you be in Chicago or NYC? 

I got URTA interviews to all I submitted to except UC Irvine so I have interviews with Iowa, UCLA and Arizona State!

I didn't submit a letter of interest to ASU because of the requirement of production proposal of Clean House, but I had been emailing the head of the program a few times so maybe he wants to meet me in person. I suppose this means I shall have to work on Clean House anyways... 

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! 

Hey folks! So excited to see you guys getting interviews. I got interviews with Iowa and East 15. I'm still pretty leary of East 15, especially after talking to Boseph about studying in the UK, but it's cool that I got an interview.

I applied to two others but didn't get an interview, which I have no problem accepting, except I am now wondering if they even got my materials. Iowa and East 15 sent confirmation emails letting me know they received my info within 12 hours of me submitting. I never heard anything from Indiana or Illinois. If I didn't get interviews with them because they're not interested in me that's fine, but if I didn't get an interview because they didn't receive my info then I would be a bit irked. Would it be advisable for me to just drop a quick note to the reps of each of those programs this late in the game to make sure they had the chance to see my packet? Or would I be better off just letting it go? 

Are any of you going to New York for URTA? 

I hope you all have Happy Holidays!

@Boseph16 and @KillerWingfield Congrats to you all! I will be at the New York URTAs! 

I got my Clean House pitch in within minutes of the deadline. Super pumped to get to talk about it with them! 

@nine15am Maybe I'm not the best person to answer, as I am applying right out of undergrad so my entire resume is undergraduate work. I see no problem in including a little of both, narrowing it down to a tight package of past work that exemplifies what you've worked on, and if that includes older works, then that's okay. This could be a completely different opinion from those who have done this before. Best of luck! 

Hi all! Tuning in from Boston. 

I'm applying for the first time this year, submitting to Yale, UT Austin, UCSD, Brown, Northwestern, and DePaul - also interested in focusing on new work. 

I'm currently finishing up my Northwestern application while fighting strep throat. ;)

Who have you told you're applying? Obviously I don't want the word to get out, so that I DO keep working as a freelancer if I don't go next year! Best of luck to you all xx

Hey everyone! Man has this been a hectic few weeks on top of all the holiday and family stuff. My computer decided it was time to die and my hard drive crashed. 6 year old MacBook Pro, and apparently after 5 years it's considered ancient. I had a good portion of my portfolio on an external hard drive or a hard copy, but not everything or anything recent. So I've had to hunt down videos and materials I was missing and re edit almost everything in Adobe suite. Fortunately, I was able to trade with my mom my iPad for her new MacBook for the time being. 

I decided last minute to go ahead and apply to both UT Austin and DePaul— so I submitted both applications just in time for their deadlines! I also mailed in my Northwestern Packet yesterday and submitted the formal online application this morning!

So far I've submitted Penn State, Yale, Columbia, UCSD, Northwestern, DePaul, and UT Austin. Carnegie Mellon and CalArts will be finished by the end of the day! Then Boston will be my last! I've definitely applied to more than I anticipated...... oh well ?

Hope everyone is doing okay!

Question: some schools are requesting a production book, and I have never been taught what all is supposed to go into one. The only example I've found looked like a class assignment from Winthrop. What all needs to be included? I have my journal I kept with notes and stuff, my promotional materials, and some stuff from designers. What is necessary, what isn't? Any help is appreciated!

9 hours ago, mcneelal said:

Question: some schools are requesting a production book, and I have never been taught what all is supposed to go into one. The only example I've found looked like a class assignment from Winthrop. What all needs to be included? I have my journal I kept with notes and stuff, my promotional materials, and some stuff from designers. What is necessary, what isn't? Any help is appreciated!

"Production Book" is a weird term to me, but I assumed that it was the director's personal notebook for each show. Including dramaturgical research, creative ideas, images, notes, etc. Anyone else have any thoughts? 

20 hours ago, mcneelal said:

Hope everyone is doing okay!

Yeah, they are almost certainly referring to your notebook for a particular production. Things that are often included/looked for;

- Pre-production research

- Production synopsis

- Director's Notes

- Annotated script with your notes/blocking/etc

- Design images

You might also see the term "scored script" which is where they are looking for your annotated script with blocking notes, etc. 

As for my own applications, I decided not to go the URTAS route for scheduling reasons. Thanks for the heads up on the Clean House proposal for Arizona State, the only school for which I've yet to finish my application. I did just hear from CMU and have my interview scheduled. 

hi all! great to hear everyone's submissions are going well so far. it's so hard to get a pulse on what to expect for spring when you're waiting to hear back about interviews and auditions. i love this thread because it is so informative and gives a little touch of the world when directing can be such a solo life.

has anyone received a call from columbia or yale about an interview or audition yet? 

Welcome to the group @Prospero!!! Where all did you apply? 

Haven't heard anything from yale (didn't apply to columbia due to the lack of financial package), BUT someone from Connecticut has viewed my website twice in the last 3 weeks... 

Did get my CMU interview scheduled, nothing exciting since every applicant gets a first interview. Thanks to the past forums on here, I know to be prepared for the big (possibly pretentious) questions they ask.  

ha. I didn't know that about the CMU directing program. I heard that about the playwriting program actually. have you asked to speak to a current student? it's super helpful to talk to someone currently in the program before the interview.

i felt the same way about columbia but spoke to a graduate student and the theatre admissions office. they both said that there is need based fin aid available & that some current students had it. figured I'd apply. 

i'll let y'all know if i get a call. good luck.

No calls yet for me. After stalking previous threads, it looks like we're in the sweet spot to get a call from Yale and possibly others such as DePaul soon. I think with Monday being the observed holiday, that probably pushes us back a bit compared to last year. My thought is that they start making calls next week. All speculation, but that's my two cents. 

I got my final app turned in at the start of this week and now the waiting game is REALLY hitting me. Especially when I realized how close we are to hearing something. 

It may be fun, in the meantime, to distract ourselves by getting to know one another better! 

So! Roll call- tell us a little about you, your directing background, why you're applying for grad school, and maybe what projects you have coming up that you're excited about. (This is also a nice casual warm up to those interviews we'll be facing soon!)

Best of luck friends!