Directing MFA 2017 - Who's with me?!

KillerWingfield

19 hours ago, AgentMike said:

Did anyone else apply to new school? Heard anything about what their process is like?

If it helps, my New School MFA Acting callback (a 24 hour play "fest" with candidate playwrights and directors) was one weekend early March. Granted this was back in 2010 but I do believe the process is still the same. 

Hey everyone. Sorry for the radio silence. Been incredibly busy with my own work. I had my URTA interviews with Iowa and East 15 in NYC on the 21st. I, like @Boseph , absolutely loved my Iowa interview with Alan MacVey. He was very personable and complimentary of my work and understanding of the challenges that I am facing coming from an education background. I am trying not to let my hopes get up too high. I know that he has and will be interviewing lots of really strong candidates. I'm honored that I got to be one of them! Definitely the top pick for me as well! 

East 15 was a very strange interview. First of all URTA gave me the wrong room number, so I waited outside the wrong room for 30 minutes. I heard voices on the other side of the door so I let it go for another 5 minutes or so before finally knocking and finding out it was not the right room. So I went down to the URTA table to find out which room I was supposed to be interviewing in (now 15 minutes late for my interview, mind you). No one was there. I hung around for a few minutes with no URTA rep showing up. Finally I went down to the front desk of the hotel and had them call his room so he could tell me where to go. By the time I got up there I was already 25 minutes into my 40 minute window, so we just sat down while he rapid fired interview questions at me. Very impersonal, very weird feeling. Mostly it confirmed the feelings I already had going into it that East 15 maybe wasn't the right fit for me.

All my other applications have fallen flat, except one which I am still waiting to hear from - University of Massachusetts Amherst. Their applications were due on Jan 15 and the website says it will take at least 6 weeks to process, so, I guess I'll hear about that one in a month or so.

Anyway, that's my update. Hope everyone else is having a successful time! Great work everyone!

Hi all! Quick update, that's going to sound very familiar: my interviews with UCLA and CMU were much in line with everybody else's. As for Iowa, I absolutely loved my conversation with Alan MacVey. It was far-reaching but specific and informative. He's a very good interviewer. At the moment, Iowa is my top choice. No word from UCSD or Arizona State. 

Same here in regards to UCSD. A friend reached out to them though! They're still reviewing applications and it will be another week or two before they make contact for interviews.

Man- I've spent some time on the waiting it out section of this forum and I have to admit I get a bit jealous of those who have already received admits. I know it's the nature of our program, but I feel like we have some of the earliest deadlines and the longest wait times with a heck of a lot of ups and downs in the middle with interviews, callback weekends and everything else. I'm in limbo right now- I know it's too early to expect hearing anything from UCSD and my first interview for the season is on Saturday. I fortunately have things to actively prepare for and should appreciate the lull in "waiting to hear" but I'm still restless thinking about all of it.

Any of you guys interview with Brown yet?

Hello all,

First time applying to grad school and after reading all your comments I'm starting to low key panic. I turned in my applications for Iowa and Umass about a week before they were due and have not heard back from either as of yet. Does that mean that I've already been rejected? I talked to another applicant to Iowa at ACTF last week who also hasn't heard back but he just assumed that they were waiting to schedule interviews till after U/RTAs? 

Hi @Coffeelover27 welcome to the club! I believe @Directorial got an interview nod from Iowa a couple weeks ago and applied directly instead of through URTA. Here's hoping you still get good news but I also don't want you to get your hopes up. I haven't heard much about Umass so I'm not sure what to tell you there. Just keep your head up! It's not over til every last acceptance and reject letter go out. Did you apply anywhere else? Do you have any other interviews lined up?

@Coffeelover27 Welcome!

As far as UMass goes, apps were due on Jan 15 and their website says to allow 6 - 8 weeks for faculty to review apps. Have you checked the SPIRE page to see the status of your application? Mine says that it was sent to the theatre department for review. I can't say for certain, but it looks like we might hear from them around the end of this month. Fingers crossed!

@GunningForGrad I am not enjoying the wait either. I also thought about how funny it is that our deadlines are so early and we find out results so late. I guess it's just one of those necessary evils, though. -sigh-

@KillerWingfield I have a few friends applying for graduate programs in acting. They're bemoaning the process and I researched up on them. The deadlines are all typically later than directing programs (usually after January 1), they're guaranteed an audition (usually late January/early February) and for most programs, figure out their chances based on whether or not they get a callback the same day! I did the math...it typically ends up being about 6-8 weeks total from application to audition to acceptance for them...and I can't help but grumble a little under my breath as they wax poetic about the torture of waiting. And none of them know I applied so they keep telling me "ugh you just don't understand! This wait is grueling!"

Meanwhile, I would commit some serious crimes if it meant I could get that sort of turnaround on knowing where I stood!

@GunningForGrad those were the only two I applied to. I was kind of using this year to test the waters and see where I stand. But I also applied to several fellowships back in Cleveland ( my home town) as more realistic goals. 

Edited by Coffeelover27

@Coffeelover27 fellowships have been a godsend to several of my friends! I always wish I would have gone the fellowship route. Amazing experience and great resume boosters.

I didn't get a single bite my first time applying a few years ago and it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for you!

I can not belive I did not know this forum existed. I have been suffocating and reading everyones entries I feel like I can finally breathe!

This is my first year applying (and hopefully only year god willing). I applied to five schools directly not through URTA: DePaul, Virginia Tech, UMass Amherst, Iowa and Arizona. I sent in my apps for DePaul and Iowa early December and was contacted for interviews for both in early January. I agree with everyone Alan was lovely but I feel like I totally botched the skype interview. It wasn't bad I just don't think I said anything substantial enough. I was so nervous that my mouth and brain just didn't feel like connecting. I'm still waiting to hear back from the other three but I didn't apply untill closer to the deadline. It's a relief to see no one else has heard back from UMass yet I have been panicking about that. Arizona I don't think I will hear back from, I had a short interview with the head before I applied and I got the vibes they were really only considering URTA candidates. But I applied anyway because I feel like I should at least apply to 5 schools and I do like their program. Has anyone else applied to Virginia Tech? Its been the weirdest process out of all of the schools but I love their program immensely. Would love to hear from someone else who was looking at that school!

@galbi7892 Why do you love VTech? I haven't heard much about it. If there's anything I'm learning from this forum is that there are a lot of great American schools. I'd be interested to hear from anyone why they like UMAmherts too. I don't know either of these programs more than what they have written on their website. Please share!

@prospero I actually like both of their programs for similar reasons. VTech's MFA is Directing and Public Dialouge so there is a large focus on theatre used as a mechanism to engage society, which fits exactly into the theatre I am most passionate about. It's not for everyone but it is definitely the kind of program that I want to attend. They only accept one student a year though so it's incredibly intimidating. I don't know about others but I really like UMass's program because I feel that the kind of work I want to do would be supported and encouraged there as well. They have a strong emphasis on cultural diversity and globalism and have resources for those who want to learn more within that realm. 

Edited by galbi7892

@galbi7892 wow cool. Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in that kind of theatre too. I'm curious if when you get an interview if you'll find there to be much diversity in the faculty there- looking on the website there is none... 

In regards to your question about interviews: As you've probably noticed from the forum, a lot of schools call in waves. So do not give up hope in hearing back about particular interviews yet!  

@Prospero Yes this forum has given me a lot of peace seeing how other people were contacted and or did not hear from certain schools yet. I was worried if I didnt hear interest for interviews in January I should be worried but this forum is showing me that is not the case. And YES skype interviews are just awkward from the get go, that was the one reason I did want to go through URTA for Iowa and Arizona but at the end of the day it just wasn't worth it for me personally. 

Welcome @galbi7892! Happy you found the group. Sounds like you have an interesting and diverse group of schools you applied for! Our only commonality is DePaul so I won't be much help. You may also be able to check the results pages to gauge when people have heard from certain programs in previous years, though I will say the directing group tends to do a great job of updating fellow applicants through the forum instead.

Sorry to hear that Virginia Tech is havinh site issues! I actually wonder if school servers struggle to keep up with the hoards of applicants constantly checking on their status this time of year....not that we would do that, of course....

@Coffeelover27 Did you log in to SPIRE and click on the link on the right labeled "Check Status of Application Materials." the page that comes up should tell you that the admissions office has reviewed your documents and tell you what your status is. Here is what mine says:

" Your application to the graduate program in Theater for the Fall 2017 semester was processed by the Graduate Admissions Office on January 17, 2017.
As of January 17, 2017, the status of your application is applied.
The Graduate Admissions Office has processed the credentials listed below in support of your application: "

The word applied is a link that when clicked on provides that particular admissions office's definition of "applied" in this case:

"Applied
Your application has been forwarded to the graduate faculty in your desired program of study for their consideration. At the present time the Graduate Admissions Office is awaiting the conclusion of that review process and the recommendation in regard to your admission.
Depending on the size of the applicant pool, it typically takes six to ten weeks from the application closing date for the faculty to make their admissions recommendations known to the Graduate School. In turn the Graduate Admissions Office makes decision letters available in SPIRE within 4 business days of the receipt of the admissions recommendations. "

I'm hoping that yours says the same thing.

Hope this is helpful!

@KillerWingfield that's what my spire says as well.

For the DePaul people, do y'all know anything in depth about the process for finals? I saw someone talking about wanting to go through the process for the critique and portfolio review. I know nothing beyond the email that was sent to us about the audition and interview which wasn't super informative. Do people know more from others that have gone through it? 

Hi @GunningForGrad, thanks for asking. I interviewed at Yale on 1/17 with Yuri - it went good-ish I think, all a bit of a blur tbh. He asked smart, insightful questions and was interested in who I am as an artist. He took many notes... 

Prepping for Brown and DePaul now as I juggle rehearsal and prep for three freelance shows and a full-time job, ahh! 

Keep the faith, all you gradcafe denizens out there.