Directing MFA 2017 - Who's with me?!

KillerWingfield

Anyone hear anything from UCSD? I figure it'll be another couple of weeks, but a guy can dream!

Have any of you told a lot of people that you're applying? When I applied straight out of undergrad (which I now realize was totally stupid of me), I told everyone and the constant questions of if I had heard something and the faces they would make when I got rejected have me playing this super close to the vest. Really only about five people know: my rec writers, my designer and my best friend and I have such a difficult time not talking about it- especially now that we're getting to interview season! 

2 hours ago, GunningForGrad said:

Anyone hear anything from UCSD? I figure it'll be another couple of weeks, but a guy can dream!

Have any of you told a lot of people that you're applying? When I applied straight out of undergrad (which I now realize was totally stupid of me), I told everyone and the constant questions of if I had heard something and the faces they would make when I got rejected have me playing this super close to the vest. Really only about five people know: my rec writers, my designer and my best friend and I have such a difficult time not talking about it- especially now that we're getting to interview season! 

@GunningForGrad No word from UCSD here.

I've kept my application pretty close to my vest. Close friends only (and my rec writers but there is overlap there).

No word from UCSD here either... UGH! 

Just heard from the admin at UT Austin and we could hear about our status anytime between Feb 6th - March 1st.... seems like an awfully broad spectrum and pretty late in the game since we could technically get offers from URTA schools starting Feb 13th. 

10 minutes ago, Boseph16 said:

No word from UCSD here either... UGH! 

Just heard from the admin at UT Austin and we could hear about our status anytime between Feb 6th - March 1st.... seems like an awfully broad spectrum and pretty late in the game since we could technically get offers from URTA schools starting Feb 13th. 

Yeah that's a really wide window that runs late. I wonder if that includes their backup pool in case first picks go elsewhere? Not sure.

I'm having a few pangs of regret about not doing URTA....there just weren't enough programs signed up for directing this year to meet my fancy. Have you gotten your URTA interviews slated? 

I've been able to stay busy so the wait and silence hasn't been getting to me.... yet. 

Has anyone applied to CalArts that didn't go through URTA? I haven't heard anything except a reminder to apply for FAFSA.  I feel like that is one I should have heard from by now...  but I think their deadline was later this year than usual. 

I also have only told a few close friends and family that I'm applying to graduate school.  My brother and sister don't get it and think it's stupid that I'm doing this.... They're in med school and can't fathom a masters degree in Theater. (insert eye roll emoji) haha. 

I have my interview with Caden for Carnegie Mellon at 4:00pm. I'm getting nervous! ?

Just had my interview with CMU! 

Caden is VERY formulaic and almost impersonal. Mentioned nothing about my resume or previous work. Surprisingly did NOT ask me these big pretentious questions I had heard about in previous threads. Just questions like: What have I seen recently that was influential? What are 3 projects that I'd like to tackle?And Why CMU/why grad school now? 

He said they narrow it down to SIX people and we'd know by email either way within 3 weeks.  

Nice @Boseph16! I just finished my interview with him about an hour ago! It wasn't as nerve wracking as I anticipated and I didn't suck like I feel I always do with Skype interviews!  I thought he was friendly and easy to talk with— even though there were times I couldn't articulate what my brain wanted to say and what actually would come out of my mouth. Haha 

He asked six questions along the lines of: What recent productions have you seen that's inspired you; why Carnegie Mellon; Why graduate school now; what was the turning point in your life that you decided to be a director and what people or shows influenced that decision; what are three  productions you would you like to tackle in the future; and where do you see yourself in five years. 

It's hard to read how the interview went, but it definitely didn't feel like it went bad....  He never talked about my resume, portfolio, or past work but did say that I'm doing some great stuff and to keep it up. So that was nice. Haha. 

Now the wait for Carnegie Mellon begins! As Boseph16 said, we'll know in three weeks if we've made it to the final six or not!  But for some reason I was thinking they chose three for the program not two! 

1 hour ago, GunningForGrad said:

I wish! I'll be there next weekend. Let us know how the show is and how your interviews go! Have you already mentioned who you're interviewing with at URTA, @Boseph16?

Yep! 

Interviewing wirh Iowa, UCLA and Arizona State.

Though investigating more into the horrid financial package of UCLA, I'm 95% sure I wouldn't consider it and almost don't want to even waste their time... 

@Boseph16 You never know what they'll offer you - you should go and wait until they offer you a package to say "no." I had a friend who went to UCLA and really loved the program. She got a lot out of it. The great thing about being on either coast is the coastal connections you'll make. It's not as well knitted in LA as it is in NYC, but UCLA is connected to the Geffen Playhouse. 

Also, check out The House Theatre  or  The Hypocrites in  Chicago if you have a chance- their stuff is really imaginative. 

@Loose.tap.screws congrats on the interview. Seems like it went well. 

Interviews went VERY well. My top choice (Iowa) became more of a top choice. Love that program, loved the discussions I had with Alan and the opportunities/projects they'd let me tackle if I were to go. 

Wow I absolutely HATED UCLA and I felt like they didn't even want me there. Yet they were laughing with the guy in front of me who went 10 minutes over. He started immediately with basically the same stock questions as CMU with no reference to my experience or resume. Then they didn't even look at my portfolio until I asked them if they even wanted to see it! Very strange. Why interview me if you weren't actually interested? I asked about their financial package and it is awful. Won't get a callback and wouldn't go even if they offered it to me. 

ASU is now a definite contender. Loved the cohort approach and Bill is so nice and experienced in many different forms of theatre. They encourage collaborations between school of film, dance, opera and even science if that's your interest for creating original thesis performance. Added many new exciting faculty members. It does seem a bit devising heavy and not as much emphasis on working with playwrights but I'll definitely be tempted if they are to make me an offer. Not the best financial package but nothing like the debt of UCLA, Columbia, DePaul, CalArts... 

Happy interviews everyone! I have Yale next week and no word from UT Austin or UCSD... 

Edited by Boseph16

So here's a question. I don't think any of us are international applicants (correct me if I'm wrong!) but we are going to be spending quite a bit of time in airports over the next few weeks for interviews. How are you feeling about Trump's ban, the stay, and DPH's decision to ignore the stay? Are you concerned this could also affect domestic flights with protests and increased security?

Heard from Tracee at DePaul this morning. We should be getting a schedule and detailed information soon!

Also, looking through the results page for UCSD it looks like in past years, interview requests were seen out around Feb. 7-11. Not sure if that may be pushed back due to the later deadline or not. Definitely looks like we should start being on the last lookout for contact in the mid-February time.

How did URTA go for everyone else? Anxious to hear about it!

@eekBostitch my guess is Caden will take a few days off after a week of interviews. Maybe expect him to contact the 6 early next week? That's kind of my guess.

I interviewed with Caden from CMU a few days ago and it was identical in a lot of ways to @Boseph16 and @Loose.tap.screws experience. Formulaic and impersonal are great descriptions.

Where's everyone coming from? Regional experience or not? Also, where did you all film the Skype interview? I was on stage with some tech and was a bit surprised he didn't mention anything about it. 

@AgentMike I didn't. 

Just incase anyone else is wondering about rejection letters. Yale posts it on the portal to your application. So, I didn't get an email until a week after they posted the rejection.

I'm waiting to hear from Boston. If anyone hears of anything about their calls, please let me know! I know exactly zero people applying to that school. I'll share if I hear anything.