Directing MFA 2017 - Who's with me?!

KillerWingfield

@KillerWingfield It was probably the same letter but in email form. It was addressed to all the URTA applicants. He said that he had forgotten to give it to me. 

@Directorial How exciting! Congrats!  Alan is awesome... The idea of spending 3 years with him is so exciting! 

Edited by Boseph16

Congratulations @nine15am! It sounds like you're having a really successful round of applications! And you met with Melissa? That's interesting and good to know. Where did you have your audition if you don't mind my asking?

Those are some rather interesting questions! Some I haven't heard before. Though I have to say that it's seeming pretty common that people don't want to see our portfolios. Which makes sense in an interview if they're just trying to gauge if they have a good conversation with us and if it's a conversation they want to keep having for three years.

The how did you prepare for this moment is an interesting one. Did she mean like prepare to apply for grad school? Or the moment of sitting in the room interviewing with her?

@nine15am damn that's what I figured and was worried about. Congrats to you but now I'm sweating bullets! Last I heard from them (very recently) they said they were still reviewing apps. When did you get your interview?

Radio silence from UCSD and UT Austin here too. Getting to be EXTREMELY frustrated.... 

Just got an email from Arizona State saying that I'm in the top six for two slots. Not an offer at all, he's just wondering if I am actually interested in the program since they have to wait 3 weeks between making initial offers and backup offers in URTA guidelines. Smart move on his end since someone they interviewed could have hated the program. I'll definitely be saying yes, I love their "cohort" approach and faculty seemed esteemed, from different experience and exciting methods.

Edited by Boseph16

@galbi7892 I am so with you. I'm only waiting on Boston but I don't think anyone on here applied so I have 0 barometer on whether or not they are interviewing. I'm hoping the website is correct and they really won't tell me  until March. We'll see.

Wish I could help you with yours!

And yes, congrats @Boseph16! Fingers crossed for you!

Edited by Prospero

@Prosperothat's how I feel about VTech, I know there was one other person on the forum that applied but they haven't said anything for a while. I know there were a few people on here that applied to UMass. I think it's hard because I heard from the other two schools I applied to so early that now I feel insecure about these two. The only thing I'm holding on to is that their applications were much more extensive with writing than a lot of other schools, so maybe it's taking them longer to get through them but then I just feel naive. It's just difficult because they are by far my favorite programs along with DePaul and I would be heartbroken if I didn't at least have the chance to interview.  Anyways, goodluck with Boston! They have an awesome program I'll keep my fingers crossed that you hear from them!!

@galbi7892 I have also applied to the Virginia Tech MFA in Directing and Public Dialogue program, but I have not heard anything back either.  I spoke to the head of the program several months ago, but I've had nothing but radio silence since.  The online application was the strangest and most drawn out of any of the schools I applied to.  I'm curious if the grad school itself needs to review and accept applications before they are passed on to the department for evaluation, but I'm just speculating.  It certainly is my first choice, but accepting only one person a year it kind of has to be.  Best of luck, I'm just happy that a program like this exists at all.

@Carneades I agree with you on all fronts. It's really nice to hear from someone else who went through that specific application process because it is so different. The program is one of a kind and to find one that specific to the kind of theater I want to do it is incredibly daunting they only accept one. But unlike other programs they do accept students every year which I guess balances it out. Hopefully we both hear something soon! Best of luck as well! 

Edited by galbi7892

I applied for VTech a couple years ago and remember that everything took longer than I thought it would. I also think there was maybe only one round of interview on campus? Yes? 

Today's the day that URTA schools can start sending out offers and possibly hear from Yale about final round... maybe the most nervous I've been in my life :lol: - can't stop checking my phone. 

GOOD LUCK ALL! 

Edited by Boseph16

Just received an offer from one of my top choices: IOWA!!!!!

This morning I got an email saying Alan wanted a 15 minute follow-up phone call. I had no idea what that meant, but he just wanted to let me know over the phone. Flipped out on the phone a bit... so much for playing it cool HAHA 

Still waiting to hear about final rounds at Yale and first round at UT Austin and UCSD. Yale trumps all schools, but I can't decide about the other two. Iowa does seem like the absolute perfect program for me...