Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering - Fall 2017 PhD Application Profiles

Neuronophil

9 hours ago, THELOOSER said:

Actually I could not finish my GRE Quants section and I aced my GRE verbal, but got 3 days to prepare for Toefl and so I did not score good marks. Sorry, I have no TAship experience, I have done my research this way just to get RAship, Do you think its possible? And what about Virginia Tech, do think I can get that? I saw in their website that their avg GRE is 310 and min toefl requirement is 100.This was given in the university website:

Sorry about the GRE verbal comment, for whatever reason I read your GRE verbal as 151... 159 is good! Also your AW score is actually higher than a lot of international applicants. As for TOEFL, I feel like TOEFL actually plays a more important role when adcom are trying to determine whether you master the English language. Your 27 in speaking should put you in a good place when TAship are given out. Don't give up hope on schools accepted you unless they specifically stated that you could not be funded, in which case you can still reach out to professors for RAship.

As for the requirement you posted for VIT, I'm afraid those are only the minimum requirement. It's sort of like saying "Applicants with a GRE <310 or TOEFL<100 are rarely considered for admission". Your stats are above the requirement, good, but there are more criteria in research and rec letters and such. That being said, I know an international student got into VIT with stats similar to you (higher quant, same or slightly lower verbal, lower AW and slightly higher GPA). He was in mechE or chemE tho. Let's face it, the more popular a major is to domestic students (e.g. BME), the harder it is for programs to accept international students. I'm an international student too so that comes from experience. 

Thanks Jay, I just received this from La Tech's biomed dept Chair. But is the dept funding going to be partial or full???? and regarding Vtech.... I thought it said that their average accepted student has a combined score of 310 in GRE......but I may be wrong.

Screenshot_4.jpg

Edited by THELOOSER

44 minutes ago, THELOOSER said:

Thanks Jay, I just received this from La Tech's biomed dept Chair. But is the dept funding going to be partial or full???? and regarding Vtech.... I thought it said that their average accepted student has a combined score of 310 in GRE......but I may be wrong.

Screenshot_4.jpg

See that's a good sign! I'm sure you will get one, either RAship or TAship. So first off you have your tuition waived and that's for sure. Apart from that, assistantships, while may not be as much as a fellowship, should cover your expense easily. Congrats!

9 minutes ago, THELOOSER said:

Bro.... What about Vtech?

I did a quick search on the result forum and it seems that they only have 2 acceptance so far this year (for BME program) and in previous years they have a mid-April acceptance. I wouldn't give up hope! I still think you're a strong applicant for Virginia Tech. 

I am kinda hoping to get in there..... It's the dream Uni for my profile :/ Thanks a lot for the past 2 days bro :) btw what about you??? What's your profile? Where did you got in?

22 hours ago, kangaroomr said:

The struggles...You and me friend ;(

I'm expecting maybe an interview day last week of march so if I don't hear from them by the 13th then I'm giving up on them

Yeah, this week and next will be important.. I applied for both BME and EE, they say if you get rejected by one, you will be considered for the other. Haven't heard from both departments. Good luck everyone! :)

On 3/7/2017 at 1:20 AM, Amiralik16 said:

Hey guys, has anyone heard from the following schools? JHU, Duke, Boston University. When are they going to announce their decisions at the latest?

Got rejected by BU. Interviewing with Duke at the end of March so I imagine there's still a good amount of time to hear back from them.

6 hours ago, lightcrx said:

Got rejected by BU. Interviewing with Duke at the end of March so I imagine there's still a good amount of time to hear back from them.

Thanks for the info, good luck on your Duke interview.

On 2/22/2017 at 8:05 AM, lightcrx said:

I applied to UCI. Haven't heard anything. A friend also applied and emailed a professor. From her it sounded like they don't have a formal interview process.

UCI is having BME interviews next weeknd, fyi

Got in to Georgia Tech and Ohio State with funding. Still waiting on Northeastern, Caltech, Duke and Michigan. 

GT is my top choice, though!

Edited by itzrafa

Accepted to Hopkins, and that is where I am going!

To those on the wait list, my acceptance letter states that I must respond by March 21 so that they can make offers to those wait listed.  

4 hours ago, dbm3252 said:

Accepted to Hopkins, and that is where I am going!

To those on the wait list, my acceptance letter states that I must respond by March 21 so that they can make offers to those wait listed.  

Hey, congratulations. 

When did they let you know of their decision?

17 minutes ago, ryan1992 said:

Hey, congratulations. 

When did they let you know of their decision?

Friday (3/10).  I was accepted as an RA, so I was a pretty late decision.  Most were made prior to that, from what Hong told me.

WUSTL sent out acceptance. I'm turning it down though.

Edit: I applied to WUSTL BME PhD program, not MechE. (I know my profile says I applied to MechE programs but not this one)

Edited by Neurotic_Jay

Hey, did anyone received the refund from Hopkins yet? Also, can anyone that had experience with Hopkins tell me if it's going to be a check sent through the mail or an electronic payment like UCB? I'm traveling for a bit and just wanted to let my housemates know whether to expect mail and keep it for me or not

On 3/7/2017 at 0:20 AM, Amiralik16 said:

Hey guys, has anyone heard from the following schools? JHU, Duke, Boston University. When are they going to announce their decisions at the latest?

I was admitted to Duke Mechanical Engineering (though, bio-focused) last week. Engineering has one more interview weekend I guess sometime in March. I spoke with both ME and BME candidates; admission is really dependent on your fit with the lab and if the PI has funding. You should hear within the next few weeks.

3 hours ago, knin said:

Did anyone here hear back from UCLA? Do they have interviews?

I have not heard back yet from UCLA BioE. I do not think they do interviews. 

5 hours ago, PB&Banana said:

So if I haven't heard back from Hopkins after the interview should I be concerned?

Were you being considered for an RA?  My understanding is the acceptances for fellowships all went out by now, and RA acceptances depend on professors filling out paperwork.  Email Hong, she was super helpful and seemed happy to alleviate any anxiety.

4 hours ago, hopefulandconfused said:

Hey, did anyone received the refund from Hopkins yet? Also, can anyone that had experience with Hopkins tell me if it's going to be a check sent through the mail or an electronic payment like UCB? I'm traveling for a bit and just wanted to let my housemates know whether to expect mail and keep it for me or not

I received my refund, it arrived by mail.

3 hours ago, dbm3252 said:

Were you being considered for an RA?  My understanding is the acceptances for fellowships all went out by now, and RA acceptances depend on professors filling out paperwork.  Email Hong, she was super helpful and seemed happy to alleviate any anxiety.

I received my refund, it arrived by mail.

Thank you! I was being considered for an RA. I emailed Hong so I'll wait for her to respond.

On another note, has anyone heard back from Penn after the interview?

Posting for a friend:

College: IIT Kanpur (top 10 in India)
Branch: Double Major
1. Biomedical Engg.
2. Computer Science and Engineering.
Field of Interest: Image processing

GPA/Percentage (Do not Convert to US Scale): 9.0/10
Topper's Percentage (or GPA): 9.9
Your rank in your class: top 10%, I guess
GRE: 340, 5.5 in AWA 
Toefl: 118
--------------------------------------------- 
Internships: (If applicable) 
1) Intern at Texas Instruments for 3 months as a software engineering on new microprocessor.

2) MITACS - Research intern at Univ. of Alberta - worked on a student team on their nanosatellite.

-------------------------------------------------- 
Submitted or Accepted Publications:
1. Open Source Cube SSubsystems(S. Damkjar et al.)/ 7th European CubeSat Symposium Aggregate Publication Statistics: 
Journal: 0
Conference: 1 --------------------------------------------------------- 
Projects: (If applicable) 
1) Ultrasound detection of cancer genes
2) Image Processing on cancer cells
3) Embedded projects for Electronics club - tachometer/synth
4) Augmented reality application

---------------------------------------------------------

Recommendations: 
1) Mentor Prof - U.of Alberta (Strong)
2) Project mentor - Texas Instruments (dunno)
3) Department prof - did courses under him, well acquainted (medium)

-------------------------------------------------------- 
Misc Achievements:
Exchange semester - Uof Waterloo
Wins at college tech fest.
Selected for INSPIRE scholarship
National Maths Olympiad

--------------------------------------------------------
Tentative Universities:
1 - Georgia Tech
2. UT Austin
3. CMU
4. Cornell(PhD)
5. UIUC
6. U Wisconsin-Madison
7. U of Toronto
8. JHU
Kindly rate these univ as ambi/mod/safe for me and please suggest me some other universities where I should apply and have a good chance. ALSO, could you please say which colleges I have a chance of getting funding for masters and how? Thank you Please evaluate my profile

On 3/13/2017 at 9:05 PM, PB&Banana said:

Thank you! I was being considered for an RA. I emailed Hong so I'll wait for her to respond.

On another note, has anyone heard back from Penn after the interview?

I was told that they're having their last interview weekend this weekend, so we should hear back soon after that. The wait is killing me!