Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering - Fall 2017 PhD Application Profiles

Neuronophil

16 minutes ago, dwm said:

Does anyone think there is any hope left for Duke, JHU, Michigan, or Columbia? It feels pretty unlikely at this point

A Duke student told me that they did not get an interview until March. I think a bulk of their incoming class comes from the Jan and Feb events, but it is not over until you get that rejection notice. 

Edited by koab79

4 hours ago, Raulucollege said:

One school scheduled me for an interview with a professor whose research I'm genuinely interested in, but at the same time I'm scheduled to meet with 2 others who seem completely random to me and aren't great fits. I have no idea what we are even going to talk about. Do I just straight up admit there probably isn't a fit or is that rude? I guess there's a subtle way of doing this? 

Just talk to them. You should not tell them you're not interested. It's just talking.. yo 

Has anyone heard from Yale yet? I had a skype interview with some of the imaging faculty and it went well, but I still haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else in a similar situation?

22 hours ago, dwm said:

Does anyone think there is any hope left for Duke, JHU, Michigan, or Columbia? It feels pretty unlikely at this point

I'm in the same boat. I am almost 100% sure hope is gone for JHU and Michigan :( 

7 minutes ago, Raulucollege said:

I'm in the same boat. I am almost 100% sure hope is gone for JHU and Michigan :( 

Hopkins sent out invites to both of their recruitment weekends, Feb 9th and Feb 23rd, already.  So JHU is probably done.  Not sure about michigan.  Best of luck!

3 minutes ago, dbm3252 said:

Hopkins sent out invites to both of their recruitment weekends, Feb 9th and Feb 23rd, already.  So JHU is probably done.  Not sure about michigan.  Best of luck!

Yep the BME graduate coordinator at Michigan said their invites have been sent out as well :/

15 hours ago, jw2899 said:

Has anyone heard from Yale yet? I had a skype interview with some of the imaging faculty and it went well, but I still haven't heard anything yet. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Based on my experience last year, I got my acceptance letter on Feb 18. I'm not familiar with the admission process at Yale, but I think if you got skype interviews, then you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. Best of luck!

9 hours ago, MEMP_student said:

Based on my experience last year, I got my acceptance letter on Feb 18. I'm not familiar with the admission process at Yale, but I think if you got skype interviews, then you have a pretty good chance of getting accepted. Best of luck!

My worrying last night must have done the trick. I got the notification of admission this morning :)

Does anyone know if Northwestern has sent out all their invitations for the 'recruitment weekend'? I saw two posts in the results session last month. I sent email to BME admission coordinator asking for status but didn't get any reply. I guess if the 'recruitment weekend' is in February then I am out.. 

On 2/7/2017 at 2:47 PM, Raulucollege said:

One school scheduled me for an interview with a professor whose research I'm genuinely interested in, but at the same time I'm scheduled to meet with 2 others who seem completely random to me and aren't great fits. I have no idea what we are even going to talk about. Do I just straight up admit there probably isn't a fit or is that rude? I guess there's a subtle way of doing this? 

That happened to me at several schools! It might be that they know those labs aren't ones that you're interested in, but those faculty are on the admissions committee and want to interview students for that reason. It also could be that the other faculty you are interested in are traveling that weekend and they wanted to make sure you got three interviews. It could also be that those faculty liked your profile and requested you. In any case, I wouldn't straight-out say you aren't interested- skim their papers so you are prepared, and, if they ask you about your research interests, be honest without talking bad about their particular field. 

On 2/7/2017 at 2:50 PM, dwm said:

I can only speak for JHU, but, unless you are international, I think we have sent all of the interview invites we are going to. (That's for PhD, the Masters program is completely separate.) I did get my Columbia interview quite late last year, I think it may have been later than this, so there's still plenty of hope for that one! 

On 2/7/2017 at 9:38 PM, jojopishi said:

Should we were formal in recruitment visit? Is it important for their decision?

You should wear business professional for the interview day (I wore a blouse with a black blazer, black slacks, and nice flats for most of my interviews. A lot of people were like me, some were just a bit more casual.). For girls, don't go too heavy on makeup or perfume but do try to look put together. For the other days of the weekend, it depends. If you could be around faculty, you should wear at least business casual. If it's a casual activity with grad students, jeans are fine. The grad students will definitely be less dressed up than you, so you won't be too casual there. 

I doubt clothing is a make or break type of thing, but I do know impressions are important, and you want to leave an impression that you are an intelligent and capable student that is an excellent fit for their graduate program. 

12 hours ago, OhMyGa said:

Does anyone know if Northwestern has sent out all their invitations for the 'recruitment weekend'? I saw two posts in the results session last month. I sent email to BME admission coordinator asking for status but didn't get any reply. I guess if the 'recruitment weekend' is in February then I am out.. 

I just got an email from Northwestern saying that they started interviewing their first round of applicants but they are still considering my application. It doesn't sound good, but it's not a rejection yet I guess. 

Edited by K.B.

2 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

That happened to me at several schools! It might be that they know those labs aren't ones that you're interested in, but those faculty are on the admissions committee and want to interview students for that reason. It also could be that the other faculty you are interested in are traveling that weekend and they wanted to make sure you got three interviews. It could also be that those faculty liked your profile and requested you. In any case, I wouldn't straight-out say you aren't interested- skim their papers so you are prepared, and, if they ask you about your research interests, be honest without talking bad about their particular field. 

I can only speak for JHU, but, unless you are international, I think we have sent all of the interview invites we are going to. (That's for PhD, the Masters program is completely separate.) I did get my Columbia interview quite late last year, I think it may have been later than this, so there's still plenty of hope for that one! 

That is a bummer about JHU... they were my first choice of school. If all of the interview invites are sent out, when should those of us who didn't get an interview hear back about the status of our application? Since JHU only admits those they interview, should we assume JHU is not an option for us?

7 hours ago, DrugDelivery said:

That is a bummer about JHU... they were my first choice of school. If all of the interview invites are sent out, when should those of us who didn't get an interview hear back about the status of our application? Since JHU only admits those they interview, should we assume JHU is not an option for us?

It's probably likely at this point that we are only accepting people who have already received invites, but I'm not in any way involved in admissions, so I don't know anything definite. 

Looks like we had some Duke admits.....  I wonder if decisions are communicated in batches or staggered, given that it is so PI dependent. I think my line in the sand for most schools will be March 10th. If it is not happening by then i am assuming rejection letter pending. 

Edited by koab79

4 hours ago, meggied said:

Anybody get good news from the University of Utah?

I am still waiting for decision from university of Utah. Did you get an admit?

20 hours ago, koab79 said:

Looks like we had some Duke admits.....  I wonder if decisions are communicated in batches or staggered, given that it is so PI dependent. I think my line in the sand for most schools will be March 10th. If it is not happening by then i am assuming rejection letter pending. 

I'm pretty sure they are staggered because they are completely PI-dependent--the PI I interviewed with used wording along the lines of "I'm ready to give you an offer," and one of the other people in his lab told me that he continued emailing with members of the lab for like a month after his interview before he got his offer. Hang in there!

Are interviews still possible at this point? I'm not sure even if the universities I've applied to even would do the interview. :/

One program I applied to was Columbia, and I contacted the general graduate admissions page two weeks ago and the person replied that he/she doesn't know where my status currently is, but it will generally take "4-6 weeks after the application has been submitted" for a reply...It definitely has been longer than that.

Would it look bad if I contacted the graduate director specific to BME about my application?