Bioengineering/Biomedical Engineering - Fall 2017 PhD Application Profiles

Neuronophil

17 minutes ago, Raulucollege said:

I'm kind of sad no one posts on this as much anymore. Has everyone basically gotten all of their decisions back or is there another forum people are on? 

Still waiting for decisions here !

I think at some point there is not much to talk about, we're all waiting decisions/updates. Although it seems to be a bit quiet (for BME) since the last few days looking at the results page. Not sure why. 

I guess most of the universities have sent out acceptances/interviews by now. It's getting frustrating now. Don't know if there are still any chances or not.

1 hour ago, N.M. said:

I guess most of the universities have sent out acceptances/interviews by now. It's getting frustrating now. Don't know if there are still any chances or not.

I am yet to hear from universities too.. they should at least send rejects if they are done with the process. How will we know if we are still in the game?

6 hours ago, Raulucollege said:

I'm kind of sad no one posts on this as much anymore. Has everyone basically gotten all of their decisions back or is there another forum people are on? 

Yeah, I could spam how I manage my anxiety on a day to day basis, but that is both embarrassing and unproductive. I think the 2nd half of this month will have a flurry of activity. Some programs have not started or completed interviews yet, I have another one next week. PI's could still be dragging feet or waiting for other interview groups to complete. Or maybe they send admits in bulk at the department level.

I have my fingers crossed for the people on this thread we are going to be colleagues, coworkers or perhaps collaborators in the future ( at least my tissue engineering peeps, i dunno about you optics/neuro nerds). 

Edited by koab79

Bio seems to be the most active discipline on this board. The EE thread is basically empty, I literally don't think there is a MECHE thread, and the others are really slow. I would take some solace in thinking that indicates a low application cycle making my odds better, but I reeeeeeally doubt that's the case x D

19 minutes ago, NoHopeWoke said:

Bio seems to be the most active discipline on this board. The EE thread is basically empty, I literally don't think there is a MECHE thread, and the others are really slow. I would take some solace in thinking that indicates a low application cycle making my odds better, but I reeeeeeally doubt that's the case x D

I know. I applied for aerospace, and I haven't heard anything yet. I keep reading the messages on this thread and its making me a little nervous. Although I contacted some of the advice offices and they told me they won't have decisions until march.  

8 hours ago, Raulucollege said:

I only heard from UPenn yesterday for an interview that may happen as soon as next week, so I wouldn't give up hope!

Edited by ca16

I definitely got interview invites from BME programs later than this last year! I recommend checking out the results page here for programs that you applied to to see if they have sent out invites/acceptances yet. But, even if they have, you don't need to panic. A lot of schools have staggered invites because of having different sub-programs or having some faculty being slow to make decisions. It's still early, so there's plenty of time to hear back from programs. 

In other news, Hopkins's first interview weekend is next weekend, and we're really excited to have you guys here! 

So, a travel agency connected to the university requested my credit card info (all of it, including the security code) to buy the tickets for the interview weekend? Is that normal? It is making me kind of uncomfortable

1 hour ago, hopefulandconfused said:

So, a travel agency connected to the university requested my credit card info (all of it, including the security code) to buy the tickets for the interview weekend? Is that normal? It is making me kind of uncomfortable

I wouldn't give them any info...contact the university right away and if they insist it's legit then ask for doing it yourself. It's pretty suspicious 

50 minutes ago, lil_britches said:

Has anyone heard anything from Tufts or Brandeis? Or any idea when decisions will come out?

I applied to Tufts but haven't heard back yet either. It seems like their first round of acceptances is usually sent out in the first week of March. 

9 minutes ago, koab79 said:

UNC/NCSU, second batch of admits are coming out this week! They running a small class this year.

Did you apply to UNC or NCSU? Did you get an email to check the website?

3 hours ago, koab79 said:

I applied through NCSU, my application is unchanged though. I just heard through current students that this is the week. 

Good luck!  Saw some students received admissions today.

16 hours ago, koab79 said:

I applied through NCSU, my application is unchanged though. I just heard through current students that this is the week. 

22 hours ago, rubiacaefan said:

Does anybody have an idea of the typical number of students invited/admitted to interview weekends? A few places I'm curious about are Michigan, Case Western, Northwestern, and Pitt.

Out of those, I only applied to Case Western. Case interviews about 50 people during their interview weekend. As a general note, most of your visits will have about that many people.

Best of luck! Case interviews aren't that stressful. You get a bunch of 20 minute interviews with a whole slew of faculty to see if you fit in with any of their labs.

One school scheduled me for an interview with a professor whose research I'm genuinely interested in, but at the same time I'm scheduled to meet with 2 others who seem completely random to me and aren't great fits. I have no idea what we are even going to talk about. Do I just straight up admit there probably isn't a fit or is that rude? I guess there's a subtle way of doing this?