Ford Foundation Predoctoral fellowship 2017

DCTXK

Congratulations Kaede and to everyone who got the fellowship!

Sadly I didn't, but I'll try again next year. Does anyone know if we have access to reviews and comments (like that for the GRFP)?

2 minutes ago, waderpanda said:

Congratulations Kaede and to everyone who got the fellowship!

Sadly I didn't, but I'll try again next year. Does anyone know if we have access to reviews and comments (like that for the GRFP)?

from my understanding is that you should e-mail and request the feedback. 

18 minutes ago, MikeTheFronterizo said:

Congratulations Ford recipients!

I am interested in applying in the future but I am a recently admitted PhD student.

When did everyone apply? In your first, second, third years? 

I applied in my first but only got honorable mention. I was told that you have a better shot in the first year because the reviewers know you don't have a clear research project yet so they give you more leeway. 

Congratulations @Kaede, @expandyourmind! Good job and best wishes in your future!

Sadly, I didn't make it in this year. My hunt for additional funding continues...

"Over 1,700 predoctoral applications were reviewed by panels composed of highly qualified scientists, engineers, and humanities scholars from across the nation. Since only 65 predoctoral awards are available, many deserving candidates could not be selected." 

I also got an honorable mention. I'm in my second year as a biochemistry PhD student, first time applicant.

Congrats to those who received the fellowship! 

Edited by ribonucleic

I got placed on an alternate list, with the possibility of getting an Honorable Mention if awardees don't decline the award.

First year (well...first year this fall), African American History. 

2 hours ago, expandyourmind said:

from my understanding is that you should e-mail and request the feedback. 

Got it! I'll try that.

also, congrats on getting the fellowship!

55 minutes ago, Hiphiphooray said:

Just found out that I was selected as an alternate (w/ honorable mention) for the Ford Fellowship.  Fortunately, I received the NSF Fellowship less than a week ago. :)

Same here. Grateful for both recognitions.

Got an alternate / honorable mention..win some, lose some, but CONGRATS to the winners! Looking forward to some great and diverse scholars making strides in academia! 

Also, I replied to the notification email and got my reviews back immediately.

1 hour ago, Hiphiphooray said:

Does anyone have statistics on the "alternate" label?  What are the chances of success as an alternate?   How many alternates are there?  Is every HM an alternate?

Based on the wording of my email, it looks like there are four outcomes: awardees, alternates, honorable mentions, and rejections. So if you're, say, number 6 on the alternate list, and only five awardees out of the 60 decline the fellowship, you'll be placed on the honorable mention list. 

4 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

Based on the wording of my email, it looks like there are four outcomes: awardees, alternates, honorable mentions, and rejections. So if you're, say, number 6 on the alternate list, and only five awardees out of the 60 decline the fellowship, you'll be placed on the honorable mention list. 

I'm also on their "alternate" list but I just assumed that everyone one their honorable mentions list would be considered an alternate. Is there anyone who received an e-mail stating that they will be on the honorable list but are not alternates?

Congratulations to all fellows and honorable mentions!!

I unfortunately did not get it. I did receive my feedback comments though....it seemed one reviewer absolutely loved it, but the other one did not, which is frustrating. Can't win over everybody I guess. 

I'm in the honorable mentions/alternates list, too. Congrats to those who got the fellowship and to the NSF fellows!

Edited by mngrue