Which GRE score should I submit?

merelyverbal

Hi everybody,

I'm an international applicant looking at graduate programs in the U.S. I've got two sets of GRE scores available:

2015. V / Q / AW: 166 (97%) / 160 (76%) / 4.5 (82%)
2016. V / Q / AW: 167 (98%) / 159 (73%) / 5.0 (93%)

My second score is higher for the verbal and analytical writing components, but unfortunately slightly slower for quantitative (which I'd most hoped to improve-- sadly wasn't able to practice as much as I'd wanted). Should I submit only the 2016 scores, which are higher for V and AW, but slightly lower for Q, or should I submit both? 

If I submit both, the departments to which I will be submitting will have the opportunity to take on board my highest scores for each section, but they'll also see that my quantitative hasn't improved much over the course of a year. I'd be very grateful for your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks, and good luck everybody!

Edited by merelyverbal

1 hour ago, MentalEngineer said:

2016. A 160 Q will still disqualify you from quant-heavy programs like Carnegie Mellon, so you should go with the report that has higher V and AW scores. FWIW, I did fine with a 159 Q.

Off the top of your head - are there any other quaunt-heavy programs that would disqualify a student for having not outstanding Quantitative GRE scores? *cough* Asking for a friend with a meh quant score.

1 hour ago, anonmaly said:

Off the top of your head - are there any other quaunt-heavy programs that would disqualify a student for having not outstanding Quantitative GRE scores? *cough* Asking for a friend with a meh quant score.

The scuttlebutt has it that there are a few programs that use the combined verbal and quant as a way to weed out a large amount of applicants in the first round, without looking at writing samples (or at least not very closely). But, nobody has confirmed it, and why would they? That certainly might make for a less attractive program to which to apply. But there are plenty of anectodes out there that many at high-ranked programs just don't care about the GRE in admissions. 

22 hours ago, anonmaly said:

I have heard that MIT has a minimum quant threshold, but I don't know exactly what it is. One might think that if you have to ask, your score's too low.