Fall 2010 Admission Results

I also checked my status on the OSU website this morning and got an acceptance. It says "You will receive further admission information by mail."

In response to kmp, my subfield is American Politics. I'm interested in mass behavior, campaigns and elections, and public opinion, with a focus on the behavior of minority and immigrant populations.

I'm a longtime lurker here, but thought I'd get involved in the discussion (or at least post a couple times). My subfield is IR. Today I got accepted to Michigan State (via email, full funding package, it looks like) and Ohio State (via the website, no more information at this time). Last week I got into UC-Davis, with 5400 dollars for two quarters each and in-state tuition paid for; unfortunately, as an out-of-stater, I'd still have to pay a lot, maybe 20k, for the first year. I've got 16 more schools I'm waiting on, although it looks like a couple (Stanford, UNC) have already made their decisions.

Anyway, good luck to all and I hope we all hear from our schools of choice.

I'm a longtime lurker here, but thought I'd get involved in the discussion (or at least post a couple times). My subfield is IR. Today I got accepted to Michigan State (via email, full funding package, it looks like) and Ohio State (via the website, no more information at this time). Last week I got into UC-Davis, with 5400 dollars for two quarters each and in-state tuition paid for; unfortunately, as an out-of-stater, I'd still have to pay a lot, maybe 20k, for the first year. I've got 16 more schools I'm waiting on, although it looks like a couple (Standford, UNC) have already made their decisions.

Congrats! I'm sure more good news is soon to come.

On 1/29/2010 at 12:01 PM, TheJollyWag said:

I'm a longtime lurker here, but thought I'd get involved in the discussion (or at least post a couple times). My subfield is IR. Today I got accepted to Michigan State (via email, full funding package, it looks like) and Ohio State (via the website, no more information at this time). Last week I got into UC-Davis, with 5400 dollars for two quarters each and in-state tuition paid for; unfortunately, as an out-of-stater, I'd still have to pay a lot, maybe 20k, for the first year. I've got 16 more schools I'm waiting on, although it looks like a couple (Stanford, UNC) have already made their decisions.

HOLY CRAP! 16 MORE SCHOOLS! :blink: That must have cost you a fortune to apply!

And Congrats on your acceptances! :D

To people with acceptances already: are you at all paranoid that your acceptance isn't real (as in, they made a mistake and sent it to the wrong person)? I'm having these visions of going to the prospective students weekend and having them say, "oh, cpaige, i'm so sorry but we accidentally sent you an acceptance letter. we're so sorry about this clerical error."

i know, it's irrational :)

I wasn't paranoid about that.

To people with acceptances already: are you at all paranoid that your acceptance isn't real (as in, they made a mistake and sent it to the wrong person)? I'm having these visions of going to the prospective students weekend and having them say, "oh, cpaige, i'm so sorry but we accidentally sent you an acceptance letter. we're so sorry about this clerical error."

i know, it's irrational :)

I'm Soc, not Poli Sci, but I definitely have this fear! It had not really crossed my mind until I read a post that described that very situation. Apparently, the school sent e-mail acceptances to the incorrect distribution list. These top programs aren't accepting that many people; how difficult can it possibly be to double-check the "To" box?

So far, my acceptances have been communicated via phone. That eases my fear slightly because they generally seem to know your specific interests when they call (so I assume they're not making an error).

Those with acceptances - have you guys been getting mass emails (ie from a secretary at the polisci dept) or from professors from your subfield/personalized letters? (I wonder since if people received mass emails, there's a good chance everyone gets notified at the same time...if not then there's hope that acceptance notices are spread out)

Hello all. Thought I'd post on here after lurking for so long. I received one of the UIUC acceptances. I got an email from the Director of Graduate Studies yesterday saying she wanted to discuss the program with me, then a call later that evening informing me of my acceptance. I'm assuming they will be making calls through the end of the week. Needless to say, I am pretty excited. It's my first acceptance and they offered a 5 year funding package. Here's hoping it won't be the last.

Hey guys. Figured I should stop lurking as well. My UIUC acceptance went the same way. I have also received offers from Michigan State and Penn State.

Anyone know anything about what's going on at UNC - CH? I noticed an acceptance from there was posted, but that's it.

I got a letter from the graduate office earlier this week, but I wasn't the one who posted it on the results forum. The letter said funding info would come later from the program. I checked their website and it hasn't been updated with any other information. I don't know if they've sent out all the letters or if there are more to come.

Congrats to everybody with good news today! I'll claim the OSU rejection just to be a party-pooper wink.gif . Nah, I'm honestly OK with whatever happens. I know that wherever I end up is where I'm supposed to be. Here's hoping for good news all around this coming week. No doubt it's going to be a big one.

Last year, Yale notified accepted applicants on 2/9 ... anyone think it might be next week this year? It'll be huge when that lands.

I saw your post on the admission board. How can they make it wrong? That's really really mean... I believe you can get in better schools!

M.Y.- I can't speak for cpaige but my read of the situation is that her admission wasn't wrong. It was just some loser posting pretending to be her I'm guessing because he has nothing better to do and might be feeling insecure about himself for presumably getting rejected places. The reason I'm thinking it's fake is that "cpaige" on the results postings mentions being in American politics subfield, but if you've read her posts all over the forum here, she's clearly an IR/Comparative student. Anyways, all of us on this message board should ignore that posting and just feel bad for the deadbeat living in his parents' basement who wrote it, haha.

Oh wow, I actually didn't even see that post! I did post something (I think in the PoliSci forum) about how much it would suck if a school sent an acceptance letter to you by mistake, but that's it. My acceptance is, as far as I know, very real! And, yes, I'm a comp politics person, not American Politics.

All this weird stuff going on with the Results page is pretty unnerving. Fake posts are bad enough, but using someone's identity? Too bad that what could have been a good point of reference for when to expect decisions has started to turn into something we can't even take seriously.

Last year, Yale notified accepted applicants on 2/9 ... anyone think it might be next week this year? It'll be huge when that lands.

I've been lurking without posting during this hellish process. But I cannot hold out any longer. My bet is that we will get the emails from Yale next friday (feb 5).

I also just received my first response - accepted at madison (also a comparativist, though not eastern europe thank god ;) ).

Good luck in the coming weeks. Peace be with you all!