Fall 2010 Admission Results

Congrats to today's Rochester and UNC admits! I'm wondering if the absence of e-mails from either of those schools on my end signals a rejection. Likely but I'm OK with that given I'm in at some places I would be totally happy at. Should be an interesting week coming up!

Congrats to today's Rochester and UNC admits! I'm wondering if the absence of e-mails from either of those schools on my end signals a rejection. Likely but I'm OK with that given I'm in at some places I would be totally happy at. Should be an interesting week coming up!

For my own edification, are you leaning towards one of the programs you've been accepted to? What is your area of interest? I know students and faculty and two of those programs in one substantive research area. Perhaps we could chat.

I got the rejection letter from Stanford, allas.

Sorry to hear that... Good luck elsewhere!

So much for Yale sending out notices today/this week? It's 4:30 in New Haven and still nothing to the results page.

Sorry to hear that... Good luck elsewhere!

So much for Yale sending out notices today/this week? It's 4:30 in New Haven and still nothing to the results page.

Seems that way. I had a free afternoon (thanks to the DC sno-pocalypse!) and tried to call the department and only got voicemail. My sense is that they're swamped in calls right now.

Could today's UNC admitees describe the nature of the email they received?

I received my email a couple days ago. It was a personal email from the Graduate Admissions Director. He told me I was admitted, described the funding offer, and gave some info about visitation (March 19th). I was told I'd been admitted in an earlier round of decisions that were made a couple weeks ago, but the emails they sent out are probably all in a similar vein.

I got an acceptance email from UNC today, also from the Graduate Admissions director. Aside from my name, I don't know that it was designed specifically for me but it did contain the information fromark alludes to. A few hours later, I got a nice, fairly detailed and unambiguously personalized email from one of the IR faculty members.

Yeah Harvard came out just after Princeton last year. Like cpaige said, Princeton should be the 18th (since last year the 19th was a Thursday and this year it's a Friday). Last year admits got in Feb 19, rejects were informed the 20th.

Congratulations! Very well done! Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what kind of funding you got? ie what is a very generous offer? I am just asking this because I am an international student and not that familiar with the financial aspects of the American system.I got a 5 year fellowship offered by stanford, but I don't really know if their offer is 'generous' for American standards.

Stanford gives about 30K for stipend. This is unique among other poli sci programs due to the high costs of living in the area. You will be able to support yourself with this. But, this won't be really really generous. Rochester, for instance, is a pretty inexpensive town, so the funding I got is generous. Also, u might want to look at whether your funding package requires you to work as a research assistant or teaching assistant. Most packages do, and they are great sources of experience for your future career. But, too much teaching commitment can get int your way. Also look out for summer funding and incidental funding!

APGradApplicant called UCSD and they told him next week. He posted projections for a few other programs too based on phone calls but that post is way back in the thread.

Cool. Thanks! BTW, what's your top choice? You are doing really well! Are you coming right out of undergrad?

Cool. Thanks! BTW, what's your top choice? You are doing really well! Are you coming right out of undergrad?

I'm finishing up undergrad right now (and have been spending way too much time on this site instead of my thesis!)

I'm not sure what my top choice is right now.

I like the quant. focus of Rochester and WashU, and I love Rochester's placement record.

Duke is great for Congress although I'm not sure about how I feel about living in the South.

Michigan and Stanford are just great at everything. A lot will depend on how the visitations go, I will not go to a school if it's in a place where I don't think I'll have fun. I'll probably see you at the Michigan visit and maybe the Ivies

Does your username mean you went to Harvard for undergrad?

I'm finishing up undergrad right now (and have been spending way too much time on this site instead of my thesis!)

I'm not sure what my top choice is right now.

I like the quant. focus of Rochester and WashU, and I love Rochester's placement record.

Duke is great for Congress although I'm not sure about how I feel about living in the South.

Michigan and Stanford are just great at everything. A lot will depend on how the visitations go, I will not go to a school if it's in a place where I don't think I'll have fun. I'll probably see you at the Michigan visit and maybe the Ivies

Does your username mean you went to Harvard for undergrad?

I think I will see you at Rochester as well if you are coming! Although we have vastly different research interests, some of the great ideas actually come from different fields. I am at one of the Ivies as an undergrad. But, for now, I might want to be careful with revealing where I really go, haha. Also, it's CrimsonBlue... Crimson=Harvard and Blue=Yale ;)

I think I will see you at Rochester as well if you are coming! Although we have vastly different research interests, some of the great ideas actually come from different fields. I am at one of the Ivies as an undergrad. But, for now, I might want to be careful with revealing where I really go, haha. Also, it's CrimsonBlue... Crimson=Harvard and Blue=Yale ;)

Called Yale today.

Facts: Decisions have not been made yet. Decisions are made in the month of February and they expect to make final decisions within the next 2 weeks.

So it looks it's closing time for this week. Glad to see that a lot of people had some good results. Monday was good for me but pretty boring the rest of the week. I have a feeling next week should be a turning point for a lot of us, however. I know that UCSD will notify people, from the looks of what they've done in the past probably on a Wednesday for Thursday. If I get rejected by them and make the assumption that my "projected rejections" are indeed accurate, then that will leave Minnesota (which apparently is going to take until early March!) to hear from. I would certainly go there if admitted. If I got in, which I admit is definitely an uphill battle, then the process would be over as I would most definitely choose to attend. Thus, next week's decision will either put a big dent in the process, or will end it altogether. In the mean time, I'm thinking I should just enjoy my weekend, as all of this is out of my hands.

Called Yale today.

Facts: Decisions have not been made yet. Decisions are made in the month of February and they expect to make final decisions within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for contacting them.

Clearly they've made some decisions, or passed some rounds of elimination, since some applicants (like cpaige) have been told (informally) of their status.

I guess this next 2 weeks thing is to decide on the final composition of the pool of admits? Yah. Nervous!!! :-)

True, though I wasn't told I was rejected, just that it's "unlikely" that I'll be admitted. Of course, I'm not holding out hope. Though I'm not complaining; I will be happy to be a master's student there and then to reapply with some shiny new LORs from Yale profs in 2 years.

Since we've changed our Yale apps, does that mean we won't hear anything from the political science department? I'd imagine we're at the mercy of our master's programs now.

I have a feeling next week should be a turning point for a lot of us, however. I know that UCSD will notify people, from the looks of what they've done in the past probably on a Wednesday for Thursday. If I get rejected by them and make the assumption that my "projected rejections" are indeed accurate, then that will leave Minnesota (which apparently is going to take until early March!) to hear from. I would certainly go there if admitted.

Are you bicurious? The methodologies of UCSD and Minnesota are entirely incompatible.

True, though I wasn't told I was rejected, just that it's "unlikely" that I'll be admitted. Of course, I'm not holding out hope. Though I'm not complaining; I will be happy to be a master's student there and then to reapply with some shiny new LORs from Yale profs in 2 years.

I think it might be better for you to take Wisconsin over Yale's regional studies master's for four reasons:

1. Too much financial sacrifice and time if you go to Yale.

2. I am not sure Yale's brand value automatically means a superb Russian studies department.

3. Political science professors are somewhat arrogant; they would like to see letters from poli sci faculty.

4. Wisconsin is a well-regarded poli sci program.

I think you're attracted to Yale's brand value. But, if you really want to get into a top poli sci program, why not go into a master's program in IR? Feel free to send me a message if you want to hear more about what I think. I have been holding this thought of mine for you, but I just had to say this to you since you might be better off by choosing Wisconsin or any other excellent poli sci programs you are going to get into over Yale's master's program.

Edited by CrimsonBlue