Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

5 minutes ago, baozi said:

Same :'(

It has me doubting my entire application now lmao. Hopefully things will turn around soon though!

Same here! I hate being judged by who I am on "paper", when my interests, background, achievement, and potential don't always translate to the level that they should. That being said, congrats to everyone who did get in today! Tomorrow's a new day, and hopefully we'll both see our first acceptances soon! 

1 hour ago, sociologicals said:

Anybody still waiting to hear from UNC, UCLA, or USC? :( 

I'm still waiting to hear from UNC as well...in looking through the results page, they have sent out admission offers a couple days apart in previous years, so I'm trying to hold on to hope. 

17 minutes ago, johnallen said:

Official rejection letter from Penn State. I knew it was coming. Hope the two interviews I have work out.

Through email? What does this mean or those who have heard nothing? Sorry to hear; keep hopes high (and backup plans higher, as I say :) ).

Didn't get an email from UT-Austin so I bet I'll be receiving the rejection soon. Rough way to start the decision season since it was my first choice. =[

For those who were accepted, did your status change on the website? Here's to holding out a teeny bit of hope since they seemed to send acceptances over two days last year...

21 minutes ago, socionerdette said:

Didn't get an email from UT-Austin so I bet I'll be receiving the rejection soon. Rough way to start the decision season since it was my first choice. =[

For those who were accepted, did your status change on the website? Here's to holding out a teeny bit of hope since they seemed to send acceptances over two days last year...

I was accepted via email, but my status has not changed on the website. It still says "in review."

16 minutes ago, shaodiao said:

waiting for UNC and UT Austin as well, anyone contacted the program yet?

Last year, accepted applicants got notified on different days. Please don't lose hope. It's not over until it's (officially) over.

44 minutes ago, johnallen said:

Official rejection letter from Penn State. I knew it was coming. Hope the two interviews I have work out.

First, I am sorry.  Best of luck on your interviews!  At least you have the chance (I've gotten one rejection and otherwise heard nothing).  How did you hear from Penn?  E-mail or postal?  I just checked the website so it isn't there.  Thanks for the info and best of luck!

22 minutes ago, csot said:

I was accepted via email, but my status has not changed on the website. It still says "in review."

Last year, accepted applicants got notified on different days. Please don't lose hope. It's not over until it's (officially) over.

Thank you for the inspiration! That should be the spirit these days.

2 hours ago, sociologicals said:

Anybody still waiting to hear from UNC, UCLA, or USC? :( 

I haven't heard back from UCLA yet. This might be wrong, but I heard they go in alphabetical order through applicants. So, I have some waiting to do..

1 hour ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

Same here! I hate being judged by who I am on "paper", when my interests, background, achievement, and potential don't always translate to the level that they should. That being said, congrats to everyone who did get in today! Tomorrow's a new day, and hopefully we'll both see our first acceptances soon! 

My mentor, a sociology prof, said to me today after I got rejected from Berkeley, "Bummer. But listen I've seen this from the inside. Fit is everything and lots of randomness on top of that. Nothing about admissions should be interpreted as about your long term potential or talent..." Hopefully that helps you feel better. It helped me :)

1 hour ago, montanem said:

First, I am sorry.  Best of luck on your interviews!  At least you have the chance (I've gotten one rejection and otherwise heard nothing).  How did you hear from Penn?  E-mail or postal?  I just checked the website so it isn't there.  Thanks for the info and best of luck!

I heard from Penn State in the post. Of the ten PhD programs I applied to, I have been officially rejected by 3 (Kent and Penn State, U of Wisconsin), because it's so late in Jan, I seriously doubt I will get more interviews.

1 hour ago, johnallen said:

I heard from Penn State in the post. Of the ten PhD programs I applied to, I have been officially rejected by 3 (Kent and Penn State, U of Wisconsin), because it's so late in Jan, I seriously doubt I will get more interviews.

Thanks for the heads up for the mail, I'll keep an eye out for a letter.  Best of luck on the other seven applications!  It only takes one, right?  

I still have heard nothing from North Carolina State, U of Washington, CU Boulder, UC San Diego, Yale, or Harvard. 

Has anyone else heard anything? I am slightly worried that they will all be rejections as I haven't been contacted for an interview from any of them. Maybe this is a stupid question, but don't most PhD programs interview students they are serious about? 

Just heard from UIUC that I am accepted. However, the email says nothing about funding. I assume that it is an offer with no funding, as I am aware I am an international applicant who fails to meet their TOEFL requirement (they demand at least 24 for the TOEFL spoken module but I scored 22 only). Sad. Will definitely not go to US without full funding.

Edited by syf08678