Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread


csot

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, draco.malfoy said:

Awesome, I have a personal connection with him through my mentor. I have great respect for him - you're so lucky to work with him! :)

He has truly been an honor to work with, really an inspiration how long he has been in the department and sociology

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sociologicals said:

I GOT IN! I can claim a UNC-Chapel Hill admission!

I had so much self doubt up until now. Just earlier today, I was trying to prepare myself for a denial. 

If you're still waiting to hear, I wouldn't give up hope yet. It seems that profs are sending personal emails, and it just depends on when they get around to contacting you. 

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, jojokitty47 said:

Just had a conversation with a Rutgers faculty member...admissions committee is not meeting until early February to make decisions

My POI said they're meeting on 2/3 and we should know by or on 2/6. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, lisota said:

Congratulations!

I am international applicant, too, and anxious about everything.

I wonder if there are other international applicants here?

Yes, me! I applied at MSU, but I come from a different background (anthro/archaeo) and I'm now really doubting my SoP. But we'll see!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, LAG6 said:

Who said that? Not to discredit you or anything. That just means more weeks of anxiety, and I'm definitely not looking forward to that. 

I contacted the Graduate Coordinator, and that is what their website says.  Long wait time!  I agree with you about the anxiety!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SocHelp said:

I contacted the Graduate Coordinator, and that is what their website says.  Long wait time!  I agree with you about the anxiety!

UGH. Okay, thanks for the information. At least I know we're in for the long haul. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just got an email from University of Virginia (UVA) saying that the graduate committee read my application, and that they'd like to invite me on to the next stage of the process - a 20 minute Skype interview. The dates are tomorrow, 1/27, Monday, 1/30, Monday, 2/6, or Tuesday, 2/7 in the afternoons (eastern time). 

"The interview will address such matters (but may not be limited to) as the areas of sociology that interest you, faculty at the University of Virginia who could supervise your progress in the program, and other such academic concerns. The interview will be conducted by one, two, or three members of our admissions committee, depending on their availability," they said.

I already visited UVA in the fall and met with three professors, so I didn't think I'd have to interview if I made it passed the initial stage. I wonder if I'll be talking with different profs than who I met with. Either way, I'm excited!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

I just got an email from University of Virginia (UVA) saying that the graduate committee read my application, and that they'd like to invite me on to the next stage of the process - a 20 minute Skype interview. The dates are tomorrow, 1/27, Monday, 1/30, Monday, 2/6, or Tuesday, 2/7 in the afternoons (eastern time). 

"The interview will address such matters (but may not be limited to) as the areas of sociology that interest you, faculty at the University of Virginia who could supervise your progress in the program, and other such academic concerns. The interview will be conducted by one, two, or three members of our admissions committee, depending on their availability," they said.

I already visited UVA in the fall and met with three professors, so I didn't think I'd have to interview if I made it passed the initial stage. I wonder if I'll be talking with different profs than who I met with. Either way, I'm excited!

 

Congrats and good luck!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went through results pages for schools I haven't heard back from. Here are decision dates from last year:

Yale        feb 3 - march 8

Penn        mid Feb - march 5

UCI         jan - feb

UCLA         jan 13 - feb 25

Brown        jan 30 - feb 29

UCSD        feb 5 - march 8

 

Hopefully this helps any of you who applied to the same programs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

I heard from a source (haha) that UCLA has made all but their international applicant decisions and will announce "soon," whatever that means.

Hmmm thanks for this! I saw one person was accepted on the results page, but besides that I haven't heard anything.  "Soon".... haha could be two days or two weeks :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, EvelynD said:

Yes, me! I applied at MSU, but I come from a different background (anthro/archaeo) and I'm now really doubting my SoP. But we'll see!

Wow!

Your background is very interesting! I wonder what are your areas of interest? And what stands for MSU? Can you decipher, please?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If others have received acceptances or rejections from UNC, Penn State, Notre Damn, OSU and recruitment/interview travel plans are in the works, should I just assume that I wasn't accepted into these programs? Haven't heard anything. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, lisota said:

Wow!

Your background is very interesting! I wonder what are your areas of interest? And what stands for MSU? Can you decipher, please?

Thanks! I have an RMA degree in the archaeology and anthropology of Mexico. I specialized in traditional dress, but I don't see a future in that. MSU stands for Michigan State University.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, CrimSociology said:

If others have received acceptances or rejections from UNC, Penn State, Notre Damn, OSU and recruitment/interview travel plans are in the works, should I just assume that I wasn't accepted into these programs? Haven't heard anything. 

I wouldn't assume anything just yet. All programs are different with regard to how they deliver acceptances/rejections and how long it takes to get through delivering them to their pool of prospective students. Nothing is final until you receive, in writing, a formal acceptance or rejection. 

Edited by AmityDuPeuple
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, CrimSociology said:

If others have received acceptances or rejections from UNC, Penn State, Notre Damn, OSU and recruitment/interview travel plans are in the works, should I just assume that I wasn't accepted into these programs? Haven't heard anything. 

I would agree with @AmityDuPeuple. I think it's best we all do not assume anything until we actually hear official responses. But looking on the results pages, it looks like multiple schools do rounds of admissions rather than a formal wait list so I would say no news still means that you are being considered. 

Edited by sociologicals
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

I would agree with @AmityDuPeuple. I think it's best for all of our well-being not to assume anything until we actually hear an official response. But looking on the results pages, it looks like multiple schools do rounds of admissions rather than a formal wait list so I would say no news still means that you are being considered. 

I third this, though it's awfully hard not to try to read the tea leaves.

If you look back through the previous years, though, some of the schools seem to have certain patterns (which may have been altered for all we know.)  Notre Dame, for instance, seems to make use of a "hold pool," which differs I-don't-know-how from a waitlist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.