Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

39 minutes ago, csot said:

Congrats to the most recent UCLA acceptance! If you're willing to claim it, please share any additional details. :)

That would be me! First acceptance after Berkeley rejection. So pumped!! I've heard positive things from Chicago and know they met earlier this week to finalize their list and will hear shortly, but no news yet.  Still waiting on them, and then crickets from Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, and Northwestern.

22 hours ago, ThinkVee said:

There's an exclamation mark underneath status for my UCSF application. Someone tell me what it means so I don't flip out lol.

Mine has that too. Maybe it just means our apps have been completed. I had my interview yesterday and she said UCSF should be making decisions next week so we should get decisions by the end of next week or the following week.

28 minutes ago, nbc21 said:

That would be me! First acceptance after Berkeley rejection. So pumped!! I've heard positive things from Chicago and know they met earlier this week to finalize their list and will hear shortly, but no news yet.  Still waiting on them, and then crickets from Harvard, Michigan, NYU, Columbia, and Northwestern.

I received an email from Northwestern seeking clarity on a few points of my application, so I imagine the admissions committee have already met and may be in the midst of making their decisions. Good luck to all of us applying!

11 hours ago, CrimSociology said:

If others have received acceptances or rejections from UNC, Penn State, Notre Damn, OSU and recruitment/interview travel plans are in the works, should I just assume that I wasn't accepted into these programs? Haven't heard anything. 

I haven't heard anything from Notre Dame either...I was quite confident I'd get an interview too since I have personal connections there and what I thought was a strong application (which I am currently second guessing). Now I feel foolish for even thinking that. I also didn't get a rejection so I'm wondering if I should send an email inquiring about my status. The only thing holding me back is the awkwardness of essentially forcing the professor I know to give me bad news.

Does anyone know roughly what the chances of getting into UVA after being offered an interview are? 

Anyone heard anything from Boston College, Penn, or Vanderbilt? Do they usually offer interviews? How about Cornell's Development Soc program?

This is way more stressful than I even imagined!

6 minutes ago, ndrun said:

Does anyone know roughly what the chances of getting into UVA after being offered an interview are? 

Anyone heard anything from Boston College, Penn, or Vanderbilt? Do they usually offer interviews? How about Cornell's Development Soc program?

I had my interview with UVA today and I don't know the chances of getting in post-interview are. I'd say they're good since you had an interview, but not a done deal. They definitely asked me some difficult questions, but I was told I answered them well. We'll see! I asked what it would be like going from here, and they gave me no sense for when they'd send out offers. I'd guess it'll be three or maybe even four weeks, but who knows?

5 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

I had my interview with UVA today and I don't know the chances of getting in post-interview are. I'd say they're good since you had an interview, but not a done deal. They definitely asked me some difficult questions, but I was told I answered them well. We'll see! I asked what it would be like going from here, and they gave me no sense for when they'd send out offers. I'd guess it'll be three or maybe even four weeks, but who knows?

Would you be willing to share the hard questions, or just generally what they related to? It would be help others prepare ideas beyond answers for the usual questions. 

21 minutes ago, Catlover133 said:

Hi everyone! 

I applied to Cal State San Marcos for their MSW Program. I applied January 3rd and called them and they said I should hear back by early February. Does that seem realistic???

It doesn't seem unrealistic. Are you wondering because that is a fairly short turnaround or because you feel it is too long? 

2 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

It doesn't seem unrealistic. Are you wondering because that is a fairly short turnaround or because you feel it is too long? 

I feel like it's really fast if anything. I'm scared too because some people were talking about how their program is double the cost of other csu's. do you know if that's true??

1 hour ago, Catlover133 said:

I feel like it's really fast if anything. I'm scared too because some people were talking about how their program is double the cost of other csu's. do you know if that's true??

I think it really depends on the school. I applied to some schools December 1st and still haven't heard back, but I also applied to ND on January 4th and heard from them on the 19th. 

As far as cost goes, I have no idea. I imagine that they wouldn't be double the cost. But again, I have no clue. I am not sure how most universities work, but I think that many try to offer some sort of financial support for qualified students, even if they are earning an MA (in your case an MSW) and not a PhD. I wouldn't stress about it until you se if you are accepted and what kind of funding package they offer. Once you get in, then you can figure out what you need to do to afford it. 

1 hour ago, waitnhope said:

Does anyone know if UCLA and USC release decisions one by one or at the same time? I'm feeling a bit anxious. 

My UCLA decision was followed up with a personal email from the member of the adcom who recommended me for admission, telling me why he's excited about my work and ccing professors I should work with (both of whom are FANTASTIC), based on identified interests in my SOP.  So I'd assume these might be one by one, given the level of attention I got.

4 hours ago, shaodiao said:

UNC Chapel Hill  is still processing admission decisions. Hang in there together with me!

Here's to hoping with you! 

8 hours ago, nbc21 said:

That's awesome! What are some of your research interests?

5 hours ago, ndrun said:

Penn and Vanderbilt usually notify their top applicants around early/mid February. We still have some waiting to do.

On 1/28/2017 at 1:37 AM, csot said:

That's awesome! What are some of your research interests?

I'm all over the board, doing qual stuff in Urban, Gender/Sexuality, and Culture primarily.

On 1/27/2017 at 8:06 PM, ndrun said:

I haven't heard anything from Notre Dame either...I was quite confident I'd get an interview too since I have personal connections there and what I thought was a strong application (which I am currently second guessing). Now I feel foolish for even thinking that. I also didn't get a rejection so I'm wondering if I should send an email inquiring about my status. The only thing holding me back is the awkwardness of essentially forcing the professor I know to give me bad news.

I would not follow up--it's way too early in the application cycle. I applied to ND last year and they were the last of all schools to report; they also had one of the latest due dates. I feel like being in touch with people you know during the application process is always sticky and it's best to tread lightly.

Hi everyone! New poster. So far I have been admitted to UT Austin, UW Seattle, and UCLA. I've been rejected from Berkeley and UNC Chapel Hill. Still waiting on 9 more schools.

My query: UT and UW offered subsidization for flights to recruitment events in their initial acceptance email, but UCLA did not. My flight to UCLA would be the most expensive, so I'm curious if anyone knows whether or not they offer subsidization, or if it would be rude to ask? They're one of my top choices, so I definitely want to make it to the recruitment event, but the ticket will cost upwards of $500. Thanks!