Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

Hi, everyone!

I wanted to go ahead and get this thread started. An interview for the history of sociology and science (HSS) at UPenn has been posted on the results board, and another user was recently contacted by a professor at Penn State with positive feedback about his application. Congrats to both!

If the admission committees are on the same timeline as last year, it's possible that we'll hear back from the University of Virginia and Rice very soon. Feel free to share results and discuss as more decisions are sent out.

18 hours ago, csot said:

Hi, everyone!

I wanted to go ahead and get this thread started. An interview for the history of sociology and science (HSS) at UPenn has been posted on the results board, and another user was recently contacted by a professor at Penn State with positive feedback about his application. Congrats to both!

If the admission committees are on the same timeline as last year, it's possible that we'll hear back from the University of Virginia and Rice very soon. Feel free to share results and discuss as more decisions are sent out.

Thanks! And thanks for starting the thread. Bit curious to know if anyone else heard back from UPenn.

Thanks for staritng this!  I accidently posted in the wrong thread earlier (I don't really use chat rooms much) but waiting is the worst!

40 minutes ago, rosebud14 said:

Hoping for some good news late this week/early next. How is everyone holding up?

I'm getting a little anxious, even though I know it's way too early to be worrying about admission decisions. This time last year, we had notifications of interviews at UVA, Rice, and Notre Dame. So far, however, nothing about those schools has been posted on the results board.

5 hours ago, rosebud14 said:

Hoping for some good news late this week/early next. How is everyone holding up?

Checking my e-mail every 2 hours!  It has been raining constantly for the last couple days where I am which isn't helping with my usual attempts at distracting myself...and I too am more anxious because of the interview posts.  Bah!  Waiting is the worst!

Edited by montanem

On 1/10/2017 at 11:25 AM, csot said:

I'm getting a little anxious, even though I know it's way too early to be worrying about admission decisions. This time last year, we had notifications of interviews at UVA, Rice, and Notre Dame. So far, however, nothing about those schools has been posted on the results board.

UVA has a new director of graduate admissions, so it could be different this year.

I didn't know Chicago did interviews! We also have a notification from Rutgers on the results board.

On 1/13/2017 at 6:30 PM, draco.malfoy said:

UVA has a new director of graduate admissions, so it could be different this year.

Ah, okay. I didn't apply to UVA, but that's good to know. Thanks for sharing!

3 minutes ago, mcpphu said:

Hi all. I received an email from UChicago to interview, but I didn't realize they do interviews. Is this a somewhat bad sign that I'm close to the cutoff point and they are trying to decide? Or do they interview a lot of candidates?

UC Irvine has also sent out an interview invitation, even though they have not conducted interviews for their applicants in the past. I'm also curious about this, but I don't think it's a bad sign. They might just want to know about you/your research interests better.

If I have not gotten an interview from Rutgers should I assume im probably not getting in?

Undergrad GPA: 3.67 from a top ranked school (+ large list of extracurriculars, research experience, grant winner, and teaching assistant)

GRE:

Verbal 158

Quant 157

AW 4.0

nervous I may not be good enough to get in somewhere....applied to 14 schools

10 hours ago, jojokitty47 said:

Just heard back from Emory! They are flying me out to visit with their program for a weekend, they said I am a top applicant...Certainly did not expect this since I was freaking out yesterday!

Congratulations! It must be great to have an offer in hand this early. Good luck with the rest of the cycle.

11 hours ago, jojokitty47 said:

Just heard back from Emory! They are flying me out to visit with their program for a weekend, they said I am a top applicant...Certainly did not expect this since I was freaking out yesterday!

Congrats!

Just to clarify, the interview invitation is not an offer. It is, however, a great opportunity to get to see the program and make a positive impression. All offers are made in the week following the interview weekend. Good luck!

18 hours ago, jojokitty47 said:

Have a great time! I did my undergrad degree in soc at Emory and fell in love. There are some incredible professors there, and Atlanta is a great city. Good luck! :) 

1 hour ago, Bellatrix said:

Hi! I received an email from a professor who wanted to talk about my interests, but he made it sound so positive I didn't even realize it was an interview until I read this thread. Any tips for preparing for this interview?

Be yourself.  While you want to get into the program, you also want to end up with a good match for your advisor.  In my first program I didn't heed this advice and went with an advisor who I didn't click with for more funding than one I did who offered less and then I ended up switching advisors half way through my MA (which is do-able, but why put yourself through it).  

A professor from Rutgers notified me on Saturday that I had made their "short list," and requested a Skype/phone interview (to "discuss the process") for this upcoming week. Thus far, theirs is the only communication I've received. I'm awaiting arbitration from UMichigan Ann Arbor, UWisconsin Madison, UC Berkeley, UCSB, Umass Amherst, Northwestern, and UIndiana Bloomington. 

Edited by Spirits of Lavender

1 hour ago, Spirits of Lavender said:

A professor from Rutgers notified me on Saturday that I had made their "short list," and requested a Skype/phone interview (to "discuss the process") for this upcoming week. Thus far, theirs is the only communication I've received. I'm awaiting arbitration from UMichigan Ann Arbor, UWisconsin Madison, UC Berkeley, UCSB, Umass Amherst, Northwestern, and UIndiana Bloomington. 

Congrats! I haven't heard from Michigan, Northwestern, or Berkeley, either - FYI.