Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

10 hours ago, draco.malfoy said:

Has anyone heard from Northwestern?

Nope. Looking at dates from previous years I think first round admits won't be till around the 10th-13th of Feb.

Edited by Beals

I will claim another acceptance from Penn State (sociology and demography) !! 

Since I am an international student, the procedure might be longer. I did interview on 1.12 and 1.13. And I got an e-mail yesterday from DGS saying that my official offer was on the way and she told me in advance because she didn't want me to feel worried. Also received another very nice letter from a current phd student providing help.

I am so thrilled at this time. And expecting more to come!

On 2/2/2017 at 12:28 AM, JohnDoe1 said:

Is anybody willing/able to claim the UWashington acceptance from Feb. 2nd? I am myself anxiously awaiting news from there. 

Hi! I can claim Washington acceptance. I received and email from the department's GPA on behalf of the Admission Committee's Chair saying I was accepted and that the official offer with funding details would be made in the next few days.

A few days ago I sent an email to the GPA asking about when to expect results. She told me that normally they send most admissions the last days of january and first days of February, in two waves. During February they make a waiting list, to finally send last rejections in March.

I am not sure if I was part of the first or second wave of first acceptances. But apparently, you just have to wait patiently, since they will take their time to make all acceptances.

Good luck!!

I know it may be a bit early to think about this, but I'm curious if people know about the rankings of programs in terms of discipline. For someone interested in cultural and political sociology, as well as being comparative/interdisciplinary, what are the "top tier" programs?

41 minutes ago, socnewbie said:

I know it may be a bit early to think about this, but I'm curious if people know about the rankings of programs in terms of discipline. For someone interested in cultural and political sociology, as well as being comparative/interdisciplinary, what are the "top tier" programs?

For Cultural Sociology, Yale and Northwestern are both powerhouses. Northwestern's Jim Mahoney is great for political sociology, as well. Also, Northwestern's comparative-historical program is strong currently, and they have a strong interdisciplinary tradition with their cluster programs. Yale, of course, is renowned for comparative-historical, and they have a strong tradition in the faculty of itnerdisciplinary work in the humanities with rhetoric, history, political science, and literature.

Edited by draco.malfoy

38 minutes ago, socnewbie said:

I think most top 20 programs are going to be strong in culture, political, and comparative/historical sociology. Berkeley, Michigan, Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, especially,  stand out in my mind. 

What are the scholars that you've enjoyed reading, and would like to work with? Who are the biggest, most cited names in the field? That's how I chose the programs I apply to, it might work for you.

11 minutes ago, theorynetworkculture said:

I think most top 20 programs are going to be strong in culture, political, and comparative/historical sociology. Berkeley, Michigan, Harvard, Chicago, Stanford, especially,  stand out in my mind. 

What are the scholars that you've enjoyed reading, and would like to work with? Who are the biggest, most cited names in the field? That's how I chose the programs I apply to, it might work for you.

@socnewbie Michigan for sure, I forgot that one. Culture, political and comparative-historical are my interests, and I passed on Chicago. Stanford and Harvard are, in my experience with research, meh in these areas, but that's just me.

I agree with @theorynetworkculture that you should consider scholars. I, for instance, admire Jeff Alexander, Phil Gorski, Julia Adams, Phil Smith, and Ron Eyerman - so Yale made sense. I also really am interested in working with Isaac Reed and Krishan Kumar, so UVA was a must for applying. 

@theorynetworkculture @draco.malfoy Thanks y'all! To provide some context, I ask because I currently have acceptances from UCLA, UT Austin, and UW. Still have a few more schools I'm waiting to hear back from, but I'm starting to think about how to decide which one to go to...

Edited by socnewbie