Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

I have only heard of UT-Knoxville. They sent out acceptances to top applicants. They still have more slots to fill after their visit day from my understanding. Has anyone heard from Arizona, Vanderbilt, Northeastern, UConn, George Mason, Pittsburgh, or Notre Dame? 

4 minutes ago, csot said:

I was invited to attend prospective student weekend at Vanderbilt later this month, and I'm really grateful to wake up to good news. However, I already asked my supervisor to take a few days off for recruitment days at other schools, so I don't know if I'll be able to attend this one. I have to let Vanderbilt know by this Friday. :( 

How did you find out? I've been waiting to hear. I keep checking the status online and it still says "under committee review'...

4 minutes ago, csot said:

I was invited to attend prospective student weekend at Vanderbilt later this month, and I'm really grateful to wake up to good news. However, I already asked my supervisor to take a few days off for recruitment days at other schools, so I don't know if I'll be able to attend this one. I have to let Vanderbilt know by this Friday. :( 

Congrats! I was invited too and am THRILLED. The nerves have already kicked in though too. They said they only invited 10 people. Isn't that typically how many they accept?

3 minutes ago, bobolaba said:

How did you find out? I've been waiting to hear. I keep checking the status online and it still says "under committee review'...

Vanderbilt sent me an email about 40 minutes ago. Someone posted on the results page that they were invited to interview about an hour before I received my interview so they may be sending them out one by one.

2 minutes ago, bobolaba said:

I received an email earlier this morning from the Director of Graduate Studies.

3 minutes ago, ndrun said:

Congrats! I was invited too and am THRILLED. The nerves have already kicked in though too. They said they only invited 10 people. Isn't that typically how many they accept?

Congrats to you too! :) I honestly don't know how many people they are going to accept this year, but it looks like it's going to be a pretty small cohort.

10 minutes ago, JPEK said:

Anyone have any updates from UW-Madison?

Nope. Haven't heard anything.

7 minutes ago, csot said:

I would decided based on what schools are most important to you. If Vanderbilt is more important than another school you wanted to visit than I would try to switch your off days. But I understand how difficult that can be. There's an entire week that I cannot be away from work, and I already know of at least one visitation day happening during that time.

37 minutes ago, bobolaba said:

I have only heard of UT-Knoxville. They sent out acceptances to top applicants. They still have more slots to fill after their visit day from my understanding. Has anyone heard from Arizona, Vanderbilt, Northeastern, UConn, George Mason, Pittsburgh, or Notre Dame? 

I know a few of us have been invited to visit Notre Dame, but I don't recall hearing about any rejections.  

10 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I know a few of us have been invited to visit Notre Dame, but I don't recall hearing about any rejections.  

There have been rejections, one of which posted that the e-mail read: "The Graduate Admissions Committee recently reviewed applications to the graduate program in Sociology at Notre Dame and created a shortlist of prospective candidates based on academic record, experience, and fit with our program. We regret to inform you that you were not selected as one of those candidates..."

This makes me wonder what is the situation for those of us not contacted at all.

5 minutes ago, Socbr said:

There have been rejections, one of which posted that the e-mail read: "The Graduate Admissions Committee recently reviewed applications to the graduate program in Sociology at Notre Dame and created a shortlist of prospective candidates based on academic record, experience, and fit with our program. We regret to inform you that you were not selected as one of those candidates..."

This makes me wonder what is the situation for those of us not contacted at all.

Based on past years it would seem that those of us who haven't heard are waitlisted or in a holding pool. Of course that's just conjecture until they let us know.

6 minutes ago, Socbr said:

You have got me there. I have no idea. Someone else said it in this thread best, no news isn't bad news. 

Anyone heard anything else from PennState?  It looks like their process drags on a bit with slow rolling acceptance (from what people have posted in the past) but I just wondered.  I know someone got a rejection in the mail last week but I've been watching the mail and nothing...Also wondering about University of Arizona and Austin (although I saw that someone e-mailed Texas yesterday and "news is coming".  No news isn't bad news (as annoying as that is), but I'm getting restless this week.

10 minutes ago, shaodiao said:

Could anyone claim rejections from UNC Chapel Hill? What is the email to check status about?

They sent an e-mail saying that our status was updated and then when you log on and click the link to view the application status, sign in, and there's another button with the letter.  It says this if you are rejected:  "On behalf of The Graduate School at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, I offer my sincere appreciation for your demonstrated interest in pursuing graduate studies at the University. Your application for admission has now been reviewed by the faculty of Sociology. With regret, I must inform you that it will not be possible to offer you admission to the Sociology program...." It goes on two more paragraphs about the rigor of getting in and fit.  Hope this helps.

4 minutes ago, montanem said:

They sent an e-mail saying that our status was updated and then when you log on and click the link to view the application status, sign in, and there's another button with the letter.  It says this if you are rejected:  "On behalf of The Graduate School at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, I offer my sincere appreciation for your demonstrated interest in pursuing graduate studies at the University. Your application for admission has now been reviewed by the faculty of Sociology. With regret, I must inform you that it will not be possible to offer you admission to the Sociology program...." It goes on two more paragraphs about the rigor of getting in and fit.  Hope this helps.

Thank you very much! I guess the email saying they are still processing is true. 

2 hours ago, csot said:

Congrats! When is Vanderbilt's interview weekend?

2 hours ago, meowcow said:

Congrats! When is Vanderbilt's interview weekend?

I'll PM you. :)

1 hour ago, bobolaba said:

So it seems that people have been accepted to Vanderbilt and Notre Dame as well as some rejected. Has anyone been rejected at Vanderbilt yet? 

Well, I don't think anyone has been accepted to Vanderbilt yet. They invited applicants to come visit their campus and meet the faculty. They will make their final decisions toward the end of February.

1 hour ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Some have been accepted and rejected- I'm still waiting though... congrats on Irvine! I've been admitted there as well.

I don't think anyone has been rejected from UCLA. At least not based on my search of the results. 

10 minutes ago, jeffreylongbootom said:

I don't think anyone has been rejected from UCLA. At least not based on my search of the results. 

Whoops! You're right.  Have any UCLA acceptances heard about an open house/visitation date?  If so, when is it?