Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

33 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

@socnewbie Michigan for sure, I forgot that one. Culture, political and comparative-historical are my interests, and I passed on Chicago. Stanford and Harvard are, in my experience with research, meh in these areas, but that's just me.

I agree with @theorynetworkculture that you should consider scholars. I, for instance, admire Jeff Alexander, Phil Gorski, Julia Adams, Phil Smith, and Ron Eyerman - so Yale made sense. I also really am interested in working with Isaac Reed and Krishan Kumar, so UVA was a must for applying. 

Harvard is quite legendary: Frank Dobbin, Michele Lamont, Orlando Patterson, and Theda Skocpol are all there, to name a few. Stanford too: Granovetter, Walder and McAdam.

@socnewbie I would probably be inclined towards UCLA out of the three. You might find Rogers Brubaker and Gabriel Rossman's work interesting!

Got accepted to Penn State! I'm really freaking excited about their Demography program haha

On a sad note, I got rejected from Berkeley and UNC. Berkeley was just a fun see if I could make it kinda deal, but UNC sent my rejection "check status" email at 5 o' clock on Saturday. Like way to ruin my Saturday!

1 hour ago, vonnegutsaves said:

I've applied to nine programs and haven't heard anything from anyone. 

I'm in the exact same boat, haven't heard a peep. Does anyone know if University of Washington has sent out all of their acceptances or if they're still sending them? I see someone was accepted yesterday...

1 hour ago, socnewbie said:

@theorynetworkculture @draco.malfoy Thanks y'all! To provide some context, I ask because I currently have acceptances from UCLA, UT Austin, and UW. Still have a few more schools I'm waiting to hear back from, but I'm starting to think about how to decide which one to go to...

I'd go for UCLA.

Just wanted to claim the UCONN acceptance on the results page. Just got a really nice email from the dept. a few hours ago. Anyone else hear from the today? My letter said they only took 8 of us. I have full funding will a tuition waiver and 20 hour a week contract with the dept... more info to come in the mail.

This is my first school out of ten to hear back from so WOW!

3 hours ago, socnewbie said:

Thanks y'all! To provide some context, I ask because I currently have acceptances from UCLA, UT Austin, and UW. Still have a few more schools I'm waiting to hear back from, but I'm starting to think about how to decide which one to go to...

I would attend as many visit days as you can and make your decision afterward. Another thing to look at (which I'm sure you already know) is job placement. You can see what kind of jobs graduates from each of those schools get on the department's website.

8 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Just wanted to claim the UCONN acceptance on the results page. Just got a really nice email from the dept. a few hours ago. Anyone else hear from the today? My letter said they only took 8 of us. I have full funding will a tuition waiver and 20 hour a week contract with the dept... more info to come in the mail.

Congratulations on your acceptance! :)

1 hour ago, draco.malfoy said:

I'd go for UCLA.

@socnewbie congrats! I might agree with @draco.malfoy (in part because of your interests but also because his/her handle is fantastic), but ask about retention when you visit. UCLA is quietly infamous for losing almost half of its students along the way - I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for this, but I think it's important to end up in a program where you feel confident you'll receive the support you need to complete your degree.

Edited by 1too3for5

Did anybody apply to UPenn here? On the ApplyWeb checklist what is the application status? Based on the first sentence on that web page, it seems that "Ready for review" is the final status (before admission/denial) but nonetheless it feels unsettling compared to "Under review" or something like that. 

9 minutes ago, 1too3for5 said:

@socnewbie congrats! I might agree with @draco.malfoy (in part because of your interests but also because his/her handle is fantastic), but ask about retention when you visit. UCLA is quietly infamous for losing almost half of its students along the way - I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for this, but I think it's important to end up in a program where you feel confident you'll receive the support you need to complete your degree.

I second that. I've heard negative things about UCLA's retention largely due to little support or assistance to grad students.

Congrats to everyone who has had acceptances so far! I'm in the (in)patiently waiting category on mine. Wanted to ask if anyone has heard anything from Chicago other than an acceptance/interview request? It seems on a similar schedule to last year, when there seemed to be very few outright rejections reported at this time or later in Feb/March. I know it's unproductive, but wondering (worrying) about the radio silence so far..

Edited by soc2017

11 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Did anybody apply to UPenn here? On the ApplyWeb checklist what is the application status? Based on the first sentence on that web page, it seems that "Ready for review" is the final status (before admission/denial) but nonetheless it feels unsettling compared to "Under review" or something like that. 

Mine says "ready for review" as well-- I wouldn't read into it, but I hear what you're saying. We're all ready for news at this point.

19 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

Mine says "ready for review" as well-- I wouldn't read into it, but I hear what you're saying. We're all ready for news at this point.

That's some relief. Thanks for checking!

Yes, that's very true as is evidenced by the fact that this discussion board has had about 5k views within the last two days.

32 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Mine also says "Ready for review," but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Historically, Penn has gotten back to its admitted applicants in early/mid-February, so I'm hoping that we start hearing from them next week.

17 minutes ago, sociologicalpizza said:

Do you guys think a lot of schools are going to be next week? It seems like February 9th and 10th are popular days for schools to send decisions. Plus, my horoscope says I should expect big news on the 9th so,

I have a feeling about next week too. I know Rutgers' committee is meeting tomorrow, and my POI said we should hear from them by Monday. That's all I know for sure, I only applied to four schools. Crossing my fingers! 

2 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Congrats on the acceptance! I had communication with faculty before the deadline but haven't heard anything on my application status. The application portal still only says that it has been submitted. 

15 minutes ago, bobolaba said:

Congrats on the acceptance! I had communication with faculty before the deadline but haven't heard anything on my application status. The application portal still only says that it has been submitted. 

That's all mine says as well still. I think the email is unofficial, since it says the official stuff will come in the mail. 

12 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Thank you, I was surprised to hear this early. 

I'm waiting on 9 others, a few the same as you I think - Yale and CUNY

Have you heard anything at all from Yale?