Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

On 2/3/2017 at 8:41 AM, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Before I unexpectedly got the UCONN info yesterday I was doing such a good job of not being an email stalker or freaking out. I really thought based on my programs histories, that it would be another 2-3 weeks min. before I heard anything. I was also really convinced my GRE might be too low to get in anywhere, so I was thinking no news is better than bad news. But now that I know about this one I can't stop obsessing about hearing from the rest!

I also applied to UConn with low GRE's. How low are your GRE's? Was your undergrad in soc? GPA? Do you have a masters?   

21 hours ago, jipario said:

Hopefully there will be word from Harvard this week. 

Piggy backing off this...

Does anybody have any idea when Harvard is likely to release any news? Is anybody versed in the historical patterns of decision making by the admissions committee there?

33 minutes ago, JohnDoe1 said:

Piggy backing off this...

Does anybody have any idea when Harvard is likely to release any news? Is anybody versed in the historical patterns of decision making by the admissions committee there?

Spoke to a student at Harvard just today- he said he's not positive, but he's thinking sometime this week.  Northwestern seems like the only one that waits until they get the final go-ahead from the dean before notifying, so that could be something like 2 weeks from now.

2 hours ago, nbc21 said:

Spoke to a student at Harvard just today- he said he's not positive, but he's thinking sometime this week.  Northwestern seems like the only one that waits until they get the final go-ahead from the dean before notifying, so that could be something like 2 weeks from now.

Thanks for the insider info! Best of luck to all!

5 hours ago, waitnhope said:

Has anyone applied to NYU's Sociology of Education PhD Program? I haven't heard from them at all! 

Based on the results board, it looks like NYU sociology notified of acceptances last year between Feb 11 and Feb 24, so you probably have at least another week or two to go. Hang in there! 

4 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

Hi WorldPeaceMaker,

I heard back from BU on Friday, I guess they are earlier this year? Odd

With an acceptance? Was it a thing to check the site, or an email with your result? What did they say?

I'm not sure what it means that I got nothing at all...

Edited by WorldPeaceMaker2010

8 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

With an acceptance? Was it a thing to check the site, or an email with your result? What did they say?

I'm not sure what it means that I got nothing at all...

Yah, it was an e-mail notifying me that I had been accepted. I don't know about non-responses. I received the acceptance e-mail late in the afternoon Friday, so they may be continuing to update everyone today!

2 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

Yah, it was an e-mail notifying me that I had been accepted. I don't know about non-responses. I received the acceptance e-mail late in the afternoon Friday, so they may be continuing to update everyone today!

So strange its nearly a month earlier than normal. Well congrats, I'm sure your thrilled :)! Did it say how many people they took? or how many applied? What's the offer like?

Ya, I'm gonna have to guess I was rejected or waitlisted if I don't hear today. Weird there is only one on the board though for acceptance, normally alot more show up. 

4 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

So strange its nearly a month earlier than normal. Well congrats, I'm sure your thrilled :)! Did it say how many people they took? or how many applied? What's the offer like?

Ya, I'm gonna have to guess I was rejected or waitlisted if I don't hear today. Weird there is only one on the board though for acceptance, normally alot more show up. 

The e-mail basically said that the Department has recommended me for acceptance and I should get the official acceptance in the next few days. No details on numbers. Says I should anticipate a fellowship with full funding! Very excited :D Nervous waiting for everything else though! I've only heard back from 4!!

3 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

The e-mail basically said that the Department has recommended me for acceptance and I should get the official acceptance in the next few days. No details on numbers. Says I should anticipate a fellowship with full funding! Very excited :D Nervous waiting for everything else though! I've only heard back from 4!!

Congratulation! Did you do an interview by any chance?

2 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

That's really great! Congrats again! the offer sounds good!

This def. sounds like they notified those accepted unofficially, and the rejections will just come out officially afterwards :(

3 minutes ago, seon0102 said:

Congratulation! Did you do an interview by any chance?

No interview! Just an e-mail. How common are requests for interviews? I've seen a lot of people posting about them but none of my schools have requested them so far...

And good luck WorldPeaceMaker! I'm sure you'll hear back in the next few days and the waiting will be over. That's the worst part IMO.

4 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

No interview! Just an e-mail. How common are requests for interviews? I've seen a lot of people posting about them but none of my schools have requested them so far...

And good luck WorldPeaceMaker! I'm sure you'll hear back in the next few days and the waiting will be over. That's the worst part IMO.

Thanks, I'll cross my fingers its a waitlist xD

4 minutes ago, shufflelove said:

Same here!!!! Nine programs. Nothing yet. 

I've applied to 10 and only head back from one officially... though it sounds like a rejection or waitlist is coming. 

On 2/2/2017 at 9:04 PM, sociological said:

Did yall hear about Grace Kao heading from UPenn to Yale? Big stuff. http://sociology.yale.edu/news/grace-kao-join-faculty

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I'm screwed. I'm currently doing a master at Yale and in my application to UPenn, I mentioned I'd be interested to work with Kao. How could I not know that??!!!!!!

On 2/3/2017 at 10:21 PM, ruilinch said:

Just heard from a professor at Yale that they only plann to accept 4 or 5 students this year. Tough odds!

That's about the size. 

On 2/4/2017 at 6:37 AM, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Really?! that's the smallest entering class in like 10 years...

Not really actually.... in 2015 there're only two new students. But yeah, a quite famous professor from the department who wrote me a reference letter told me that since many professors were on leave, they needed to limit the size. Also, the department enrolled about ten students last fall. Bad news for us. Really tough time this year. The professor explicitly told me to apply to as many programs as possible and she'd be happy to upload the letter for my multiple times. So I figured my chance's slim. 

36 minutes ago, shufflelove said:

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I'm screwed. I'm currently doing a master at Yale and in my application to UPenn, I mentioned I'd be interested to work with Kao. How could I not know that??!!!!!!

I don't think the admissions committee expects applicants to know about professors moving to other schools. If you listed 2 or 3 additional faculty in your SoP, you should be okay.

6 minutes ago, csot said:

I don't think the admissions committee expects applicants to know about professors moving to other schools. If you listed 2 or 3 additional faculty in your SoP, you should be okay.

@csot Thanks a lot! I'm really anxious right now. Look forward to some good news this week XD

20 minutes ago, 1too3for5 said:

I hear ya! I also mentioned Grace Kao in my SOP, but included a few other faculty members. We'll see what happens!

Regarding 4-5 admits - this would actually be small, compared to the typical number of ADMITTED students. It would be stunning if 4-5 admits resulted in an entering class of 4-5 students. The conflation of the number of admitted students and the number of students in a first-rate cohort is surprisingly rampant on Grad Cafe whenever discussions about selectivity come into play (e.g., that ubiquitous post where someone says "school x gets 100 apps for 3 spots in their cohort!" and inaccurately concludes that the program's acceptance rate is 3%). Yale likely offers nearly twice the spots it needs to fill because plenty of people get in go elsewhere.

Yeah~ I agree that if Yale decides to fully fund 4-5 new students, it'll admit about 10 or more applicants. Let's survive the killing wait together!