Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

23 minutes ago, gp914 said:

Hi- does anyone have news from Upenn or Northeastern and/or have an idea of when decisions from those two might arrive? 

Nothing from Penn, but I'm thinking next week or later.  Last year they started sending acceptances in mid February, and continued until the first week of March.

11 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Congrats!

So my portal only still says submitted, which can't be a good sign :/

Guess I cross my fingers for a wait list 

bless you! good news will come!

11 hours ago, c11m07 said:

I can never add my results from safari on my macbook, so I use firefox. Not sure what's going on there, but it's not just you!

P.S. Congrats!! :)

hey, thank you!

Oh that explains why.

I think my Stony Brook interview went well, but its so hard to tell. It was with my POI, so that was exciting at least. 

Some info for others who applied there-

Results will be out in about 2 weeks.

Incoming cohort will be about 4.

All funding packages will include 4-5 years funding in TA and RA work, no summer money, and about 350 a year for conferences. 

In past years they've had really good placement rates at teaching universities T2 occasionally T1. 

22 minutes ago, Akostin said:

Anyone else get a call from Columbia? I'm "recommended for admission" but I'm not super sure what that actually means.

Sounds like an acceptance that has been approved by department but not graduate school yet. Congrats! 

If you don't mind me asking, where on the portal did you see your status updated?

EDIT: Oh, you're saying you were called and told recommended for admission. That's great.

Edited by sociologicals

9 minutes ago, csot said:

Is it generally frowned upon to contact a school and politely ask when we might expect to start hearing back from them?

I know a professor on a grad admissions board who said that it is still "very early" in the cycle for most schools. I'd give them time.

I was wondering if anyone knows how to figure out how much you actually get paid, monthly, in regards to a stipend? For example, $16000 for fall and spring, GTA, and tuition paid w/health insurance. I think its about $1500 a month but i'm just guessing, any thoughts?  Thanks in advance. 

3 minutes ago, JPEK said:

I was wondering if anyone knows how to figure out how much you actually get paid, monthly, in regards to a stipend? For example, $16000 for fall and spring, GTA, and tuition paid w/health insurance. I think its about $1500 a month but i'm just guessing, any thoughts?  Thanks in advance. 

Well it's how you want to view your academic year stipend since it doesn't sound like it includes summers. You can just divide by however many months that covers but that doesn't take into account federal or state taxes. 

14 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Well it's how you want to view your academic year stipend since it doesn't sound like it includes summers. You can just divide by however many months that covers but that doesn't take into account federal or state taxes. 

Thanks so much!! That makes sense, just a little concerned regarding summers and trying to plan ahead if needed thanks again. 

6 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Can someone explain the summer thing...? They don't expect you to be on campus during the summer if your not even getting paid right? So unless your doing research or teaching (with $$$) you cna go elsewhere for the summer to cut down costs right?

Yes- either you apply for summer funding to do a project etc, or you save up from your 9 mo stipend. But unless you have something active going on, you can typically be anywhere and aren't required to be on campus.

52 minutes ago, Akostin said:

Anyone else get a call from Columbia? I'm "recommended for admission" but I'm not super sure what that actually means.

Congratulations! Any more details about this? I'm wondering if other calls are trickling out as well.

5 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Can someone explain the summer thing...? They don't expect you to be on campus during the summer if your not even getting paid right? So unless your doing research or teaching (with $$$) you cna go elsewhere for the summer to cut down costs right?

Presumably, yes. But I think most programs will expect you to be studying and that may be easiest done near your program (unless researching abroad). However, I think many students leave their campus for 6 weeks if not more to visit family and friends, etc.

Also, well you may not be obligated to stay on campus by your department many grad apartments leases are annual rather than by semester so unless you can get a sub-lease you’ll have to pay rent anyways.

21 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

For my MA they expected us to conduct our research during the summer.  I was able to stay where I was living because my population was in driving distance but many of my peers went to Mexico, Indonesia, and elsewhere to conduct their research and in our case it was largely self funded (my friend did a gofundme page to fund her MA work) but one or two of us recieved scholarships that helped.  The point to this, after seeing some of the other answers, is that it depends on the program.  It is certainly something to ask about when you are making descisions.  I put away a little bit of my stipend all year to survive during the summer and still needed a little help from my parents the month before term started each year (I don't know how I would have survived w/o their help to be honest).  BUT that was an MA program and you'll be able to apply for all kinds of funding in a PhD program that simply isn't available to MA's.  

@mcpphu I am also waiting to hear from Michigan- I have it down that they normally respond between the 5th and 10th of Feb.  

Edited by montanem

18 hours ago, limonchello said:

Just discovered the forum and am catching up on what's been going on.

I applied to Notre Dame, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Washington State, UC Santa Cruz and Hawaii. 

Was accepted to the University of New Mexico today but haven't heard from Arizona or Notre Dame which hopefully just means I'm shortlisted without a decision yet. Crossing my fingers! Congrats to everyone who has heard so far!

Yo hope you like the forums. I really hope I can at least visit UCSC even if I don't end up going there, they seem like THE leftist university at the moment. Hope we get to meet on visit weekend :)

25 minutes ago, mcpphu said:

Anyone else waiting to hear from Michigan? They sent out results on the 5th last year and I feel myself slowly going crazy waiting right now... 

Still waiting to hear back from Michigan. Don't worry friend :)

4 minutes ago, Worktime Calzone said:

Yo hope you like the forums. I really hope I can at least visit UCSC even if I don't end up going there, they seem like THE leftist university at the moment. Hope we get to meet on visit weekend :)

Any idea when their visit weekend is? I have to fly back to the USA from abroad and I don't know how I'm going to coordinate multiple trips. HMM I wonder if it will look fishy If I have New Mexico book a 2 week trip!