Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

7 minutes ago, montanem said:

Going forward I would like to explore the impacts of policy (medical or other safety net) on low income communities (how it impacts mobility, how policy can impact/reinforce class inequalities).  I hope so too- I'm starting to have my doubts about getting in anywhere this year but here's to being optimistic.   Congrats again by the way!  It is a great program!

Based on your signature it looks like you still have a lot of programs to hear from! You can't be pessimistic yet! :)

55 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

Just got a call from the DGS at Brandeis letting me know that I've been admitted with five years of funding! Very nice conversation. Invited to visit a grad seminar and meet with students/professors (there's no set visit day for all admits). 

Sweet, what program was that for?

4 hours ago, jipario said:

Now, time for my hourly, let's-hurry-it-up-Harvard-so-I-can-make-my-decision post. 

I think Harvard's administrative offices were closed today too. Hopefully the weather improves and everyone is back on track soon.

1 hour ago, GvilleGirl said:

Based on your signature it looks like you still have a lot of programs to hear from! You can't be pessimistic yet! :)

People have now heard acceptances from all but 2 of the programs I applied.  So I'm holding out for good news, but I'm prepping myself for the "what if" scenario.  You are absolutely right though.

Edited by montanem

6 hours ago, nbc21 said:

Any more details about these calls from Columbia? 

I got a call but they actually didn't give me much information lol. I was too excited to think to ask many questions but the woman I spoke with said official decisions should come in a couple of weeks.

10 minutes ago, montanem said:

People have now heard acceptances from all but 2 of the programs I applied to both of which are highly selective.  So I'm holding out for good news from a few, but I'm prepping myself for the "what if" scenario.  

Well, you have time.  If it comes to it, you can hope to get on wait lists.  As people make their decisions, some spots usually open up and those wait listed are moved in.  Best of luck!

Edited by HighlyCaffeinated

54 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Well, you have time.  If it comes to it, you can hope to get on wait lists.  As people make their decisions, some spots usually open up and waist lists are moved in.  Best of luck!

I'm out of likes/upvotes today!  But thank you for optimism/reminding others and me that hope isn't lost because of news :) Best of luck to you too!

Edited by montanem

2 hours ago, c11m07 said:

Just got a call from the DGS at Brandeis letting me know that I've been admitted with five years of funding! Very nice conversation. Invited to visit a grad seminar and meet with students/professors (there's no set visit day for all admits). 

Congrats! Brandeis is an amazing school!! I am pretty biased though :) 

7 hours ago, jojokitty47 said:

People who applied to Emory and went to the visitation weekend...have ya'll heard back yet? I see that some students have gotten in, but it seems they might have been international students who did skype interviews?

Possibly. I am the international student(had Skype interview, as you guessed) who reported on the survey, and the email said it is just an early notice. Have you went to Emory for a visit? I really wanted to go there. Would you share some of your experience with me, if you like?

Edited by CoffeeNebula

1 hour ago, song95 said:

I am going to claim another acceptance from TAMU(funding details to come).

This is my safe choice, yet also very happy to get admitted into.

Congrats!  

3 minutes ago, csot said:

Can the insider at Yale provide some inside information about other schools too? :lol:

Devastated by the first rejection (especially the committee politics part)... BTW last night my friend at Harvard told me the results haven't been out or maybe she's just comforting me. Fingers crossed for other schools. 

4 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

I'll claim the Yale acceptance. I'm thrilled. If people want to ask questions, I'll gladly answer. If you want to be pissed at me, it's okay. That's how I felt about all you UCLA admits ;) Off to celebrate now, though!

wow that's great for everyone who was accepted today! congrats!

12 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

I'll claim the Yale acceptance. I'm thrilled. If people want to ask questions, I'll gladly answer. If you want to be pissed at me, it's okay. That's how I felt about all you UCLA admits ;) Off to celebrate now, though!

Grats! How were you able to visit in November? Are you a current student there?

I'm also wondering how the other person from the results page saw the list of those accepted... I'm eager to hear back from Yale!

24 minutes ago, IncomingPhD2017 said:

Grats! How were you able to visit in November? Are you a current student there?

I'm also wondering how the other person from the results page saw the list of those accepted... I'm eager to hear back from Yale!

No, I'm not a current student. I was introduced via email to Jeff Alexander by a former student of his. He read some of my thesis and another paper, and then invited me to visit in the fall and set up visits for me with Gorski, Adams, Eyerman, and Smith. A friend of mine who was admitted last year was invited to visit, too, before decisions were made. So I think they do invite a few people a year to visit who they hear about through their alums... but that is an assumption. 

7 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

No, I'm not a current student. I was introduced via email to Jeff Alexander by a former student of his. He read some of my thesis and another paper, and then invited me to visit in the fall and set up visits for me with Gorski, Adams, Eyerman, and Smith. A friend of mine who was admitted last year was invited to visit, too, before decisions were made. So I think they do invite a few people a year to visit who they hear about through their alums... but that is an assumption. 

Gotta love that social capital. Grats again

Edited by IncomingPhD2017

7 minutes ago, draco.malfoy said:

Congratulations!  I certainly am jealous, but immensely happy for you!  Best of luck :) 

5 minutes ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Is it safe to assume that if I don't hear from Yale before 5pm EST that I'm denied?

I personally don't assume a rejection until I hear it specifically. They could be releasing in waves, or you could be waitlisted. From the results page it seems there's some list that has everyone who was accepted on it, but we don't know for sure if those people have all been contacted. 

Edited by IncomingPhD2017

6 minutes ago, IncomingPhD2017 said:

I personally don't assume a rejection until I hear it specifically. They could be releasing in waves, or you could be waitlisted. From the results page it seems there's some list that has everyone who was accepted on it, but we don't know for sure if those people have all been contacted. 

You're right- I'm certainly getting ahead of myself.  My nerves are making me jump to conclusions.