Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

1 hour ago, IncomingPhD2017 said:

Grats! How were you able to visit in November? Are you a current student there?

I'm also wondering how the other person from the results page saw the list of those accepted... I'm eager to hear back from Yale!

Actually CCS and other Yale Sociology workshops all welcome visitors. You can find out more on their websites. 

This morning the DGS sent out a list of newly admitted students to current PhDs and faculty members in preparation for the visiting day on March 3.

1 hour ago, jojokitty47 said:

Where is the insiders list that was talked about that people can see if they were accepted, waitlisted, or rejected from Yale?

I think all of the eight admitted students should've been notified by now. I could be wrong though. The Department had too many students last year, so there might not be a waitlist. 

5 minutes ago, shufflelove said:

Actually CCS and other Yale Sociology workshops all welcome visitors. You can find out more on their websites. 

This morning the DGS sent out a list of newly admitted students to current PhDs and faculty members in preparation for the visiting day on March 3.

I think all of the eight admitted students should've been notified by now. I could be wrong though. The Department had too many students last year, so there might not be a waitlist. 

That might be very much true.

5 minutes ago, shaodiao said:

Congrats to the Yale admit!

And dear the Yale insider, may I ask if Dr. Davis is accepting new grad student this year?

I don't think so, but the list doesn't specify the admitted students' potential advisors. Also, Professor Davis' on leave right now. That's why I didn't ask for her reference letter in spite of the fact that I've taken two courses and an independent study with her. 

4 minutes ago, limonchello said:

@WorldPeaceMaker2010 Did you ever hear back from Albany about what the heck happened with your application or are they still closed bc of snow?

Still not sure, haven't wanted to escalate to the dept. yet, but considering it. The graduate admissions overall wasn't helpful and didn't seem to know what to say. They didn't say it wasn't passed on earlier but they also won't say it was. I think they're covering honestly. 

7 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Still not sure, haven't wanted to escalate to the dept. yet, but considering it. The graduate admissions overall wasn't helpful and didn't seem to know what to say. They didn't say it wasn't passed on earlier but they also won't say it was. I think they're covering honestly. 

They don't sound like they were a lot of help, I would call or email the department. I don't think it would hurt, especially if you have the email etc that says the date you submitted it!

2 minutes ago, limonchello said:

They don't sound like they were a lot of help, I would call or email the department. I don't think it would hurt, especially if you have the email etc that says the date you submitted it!

Ya, I don't want to come across as a complainer in case I want something from them in the future, and I''m thinking no good is really going to coem of it since I doubt they'de admit me or something even if they liked me now... but honestly this is pretty unacceptable right?

5 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Ya, I don't want to come across as a complainer in case I want something from them in the future, and I''m thinking no good is really going to coem of it since I doubt they'de admit me or something even if they liked me now... but honestly this is pretty unacceptable right?

Completely! I don't think it would come across as a complainer - you're honestly worried about the application and you really want to go there and you can show your concern in the email or w/e. Totally unfair, and you deserve some sort of response!

2 minutes ago, limonchello said:

Completely! I don't think it would come across as a complainer - you're honestly worried about the application and you really want to go there and you can show your concern in the email or w/e. Totally unfair, and you deserve some sort of response!

Maybe more of an inquiry email than a call to the dept.? Just kinda of a hey this happened and I'm confused, can you tell me what happened to my application and what that means for my status please?

11 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

First, if I were you I would reach out to the department and ask, asking won't hurt.  Then, if that doesn't go the way you want at the very least they could refund you the application cost, right?  I mean if your application wasn't sent through and wasn't considered that would be my request.  I'd make it to graduate admissions, not to the department.  That way, if you don't hear elsewhere and choose to apply again next year you aren't paying twice for your application to only be considered once. Also I am so sorry this happened to you.  

Edited by montanem

7 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Maybe more of an inquiry email than a call to the dept.? Just kinda of a hey this happened and I'm confused, can you tell me what happened to my application and what that means for my status please?

I think that's the perfect plan,... innocence is bliss! Any other opinions because I don't want to be misleading you either! :P

9 minutes ago, montanem said:

First, if I were you I would reach out to the department and ask, asking won't hurt.  Then, if that doesn't go the way you want at the very least they could refund you the application cost, right?  I mean if your application wasn't sent through and wasn't considered that would be my request.  I'd make it to graduate admissions, not to the department.  That way, if you don't hear elsewhere and choose to apply again next year you aren't paying twice for your application to only be considered once. Also I am so sorry this happened to you.  

Ya the whole thing is so odd. I really want to know what happened. The graduate admissions I don't think will refund, I have not asked specifically yet, but the way they won't say if it went thru or not kinda makes it hard admit I deserve my money back right?

This whole thing is so stupid. It would have been better to just get a straight up rejection than be dealing with this situation. 

11 minutes ago, limonchello said:

I think that's the perfect plan,... innocence is bliss! Any other opinions because I don't want to be misleading you either! :P

Thanks! Any other opinions on this are very welcome... I have no idea what the normal protocol for this type of thing is..

2 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Well this is depressing...

Guess that leaves me with 5 left to hear from.

BC and Umass Amherst have been pretty silent . Anyone know anything?

Haven't heard anything from either school. I heard from a current BC student that they haven't made any offers yet.

1 hour ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Ya the whole thing is so odd. I really want to know what happened. The graduate admissions I don't think will refund, I have not asked specifically yet, but the way they won't say if it went thru or not kinda makes it hard admit I deserve my money back right?This whole thing is so stupid. It would have been better to just get a straight up rejection than be dealing with this situation. 

After you talk to the department you'll know if they received it or not and can go from there.  Sending positive vibes your way.  I hope it all turns out to be for the best/works itself out.  (If they didn't get it I would totally try for the refund, though, I don't know how much that school was but applications are so expensive for a program to never have viewed your file).  

18 minutes ago, montanem said:

After you talk to the department you'll know if they received it or not and can go from there.  Sending positive vibes your way.  I hope it all turns out to be for the best/works itself out.  (If they didn't get it I would totally try for the refund, though, I don't know how much that school was but applications are so expensive for a program to never have viewed your file).  

SO annoying this happened. Even if they refund the app fee , I'll still be out the money i paid for GRE scores to be sent and my transcripts internationally mailed. 

12 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

SO annoying this happened. Even if they refund the app fee , I'll still be out the money i paid for GRE scores to be sent and my transcripts internationally mailed. 

It is really annoying, but you should be careful not to raise a big fuss and develop an unwanted reputation. At the end of the day, it's probably not worth the drama or the risk.

Also, admin workers at many sociology departments tend to be incompetent (e.g., Columbia and their mistaken PhD acceptance emails). To some extent, it just comes with the territory.

3 minutes ago, socapp2017 said:

It is really annoying, but you should be careful not to raise a big fuss and develop an unwanted reputation. At the end of the day, it's probably not worth the drama or the risk.

Also, admin workers at many sociology departments tend to be incompetent (e.g., Columbia and their mistaken PhD acceptance emails). To some extent, it just comes with the territory.

I know, thats why I havent contacted the dept, yet. The issue isn't with the dept. anyway, it's the actual graduate admissions.  

Hi! New to this thread and anxious as ever.

A few days ago I received an email from UCLA stating that they've reviewed the first batch of applicants and I was nominated for a fellowship I applied for...but I still don't know if I got accepted into UCLA and on the website it says decisions aren't made until march/april.

How can I be nominated if I'm not accepted yet?