Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

17 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

I was thinking of calling and asking for clarification about the email. But I just talked to two other people who also applied there and found out both of them got this particular email before the deadline, a few days after they submitted everything (within a day of when I also turned mine in), so it doesn't sound like they were waiting on all applications to pass them on and send the email. One of these applicants was accepted and has said that their POI told them all decisions are already made and acceptances sent.... so it doesn't look good for having even a chance now. 

Should I be speaking to just the graduate center overall or be addressing it with the department so they are also aware of the situation?

I would start with the graduate center and move on from there. If it was a mistake on their end, they should be able to help with contacting the department.

Just because they admitted applicants does not mean all of the admitted students will accept their offer and attend Albany. Again, if your application is strong and you are a good fit they may put you in first position on the waitlist and then admit you when someone declines their offer. 

And in the worst case scenario, and you aren't admitted and/or there is nothing they can do to give you a fair shot and Albany is your first choice and you would choose it over any other university, I would ask if they could save your application and review it next year. I am not sure I would recommend transferring from one program to another, but have a friend who started in one PhD program and transferred to another. It was the right decision for them and it resulted in great opportunities which eventually led to a TT position at a great university. 

Hope is not lost. If there is anything that all PhDs have in common, it is their persistence and dedication.

3 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I would start with the graduate center and move on from there. If it was a mistake on their end, they should be able to help with contacting the department.

Just because they admitted applicants does not mean all of the admitted students will accept their offer and attend Albany. Again, if your application is strong and you are a good fit they may put you in first position on the waitlist and then admit you when someone declines their offer. 

And in the worst case scenario, and you aren't admitted and/or there is nothing they can do to give you a fair shot and Albany is your first choice and you would choose it over any other university, I would ask if they could save your application and review it next year. I am not sure I would recommend transferring from one program to another, but have a friend who started in one PhD program and transferred to another. It was the right decision for them and it resulted in great opportunities which eventually led to a TT position at a great university. 

Hope is not lost. If there is anything that all PhDs have in common, it is their persistence and dedication.

I think the school is possibly shut down from the storm since no one is picking up the phone.

I'm trying not to panic til I hear for sure what happened, but that's difficult considering acceptances are already out. I just think I deserved a fair chance like everyone else, and honestly even if being put on a waitlist if they do like my application ends up being the result of this that's really not fair because from my side I did what I was responsible for doing. I know sometimes mistakes get made, but we're talking about the next 5+ years of my life here, and the foundation for my future career. Even an apology doesn't exactly make-up for for taking away my chance to get in (one I worked hard on the application for and paid for). Realistically waiting around another year isn't a viable option for me, and transferring is very rarely encouraged. 

Idk if I would have gotten in or not had I been considered with everyone else. But, I should have been fairly considered like everyone else. 

57 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

I think the school is possibly shut down from the storm since no one is picking up the phone.

I'm trying not to panic til I hear for sure what happened, but that's difficult considering acceptances are already out. I just think I deserved a fair chance like everyone else, and honestly even if being put on a waitlist if they do like my application ends up being the result of this that's really not fair because from my side I did what I was responsible for doing. I know sometimes mistakes get made, but we're talking about the next 5+ years of my life here, and the foundation for my future career. Even an apology doesn't exactly make-up for for taking away my chance to get in (one I worked hard on the application for and paid for). Realistically waiting around another year isn't a viable option for me, and transferring is very rarely encouraged. 

Idk if I would have gotten in or not had I been considered with everyone else. But, I should have been fairly considered like everyone else. 

I am sorry you are going through this. I can tell how much a fair shot at being seen/heard (through your app) means to you. This situation stinks. I definitely think it is lose/lose. They are missing out on a potential student who is passionate and has a strong sense of justice. I am sure wherever you end up will be lucky to have you!

Edited by AmityDuPeuple

3 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

I am sorry you are going through this. I can tell how much a fair shot at being seen/heard (through your app) means to you. This situation sticks. I definitely think it is lose/lose. They are missing out on a potential student who is passionate and has a strong sense of justice. I am sure wherever you end up will be lucky to have you!

Thanks, it's just so disappointing and frustrating. I had looked at my online portal and everything looked fine at the deadline, it all said submitted and had the check marks.

I mean there's always the chance I would have been rejected anyway of course, but now I have the what if at the back of my mind which is annoying. It's so much better to just know concretely you weren't accepted than to wonder if it's because someone messed up in the process. 

46 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

I think your perspective on this is exactly right. It's totally irresponsible on their end to let something like this happen.

Thanks, I'm so disappointed about this. And my anger about it is growing since I can't even get in touch with them to clarify it at all.

40 minutes ago, Beals said:

@WorldPeaceMaker2010 they could at least refund the application fee??? not what you actually want, but at least it would sooth the burn

That would be nice of course, but doesn't get rid of the fact this sucks and shouldnt have happened at all. 

NYU is closed today because of the snow storm.

To the person who contacted Penn, thank you! I have a better idea of the timeline and won't be checking my email/portal like crazy.

@WorldPeaceMaker2010 I'm really sorry about the frustrating situation you're in, but if it was a generic email, it's quite possible that there was just a delay in sending the email to you, not necessarily a delay in reviewing your application. Hopefully once the school/office re-opens, you can contact them to clarify.

42 minutes ago, csot said:

NYU is closed today because of the snow storm.

To the person who contacted Penn, thank you! I have a better idea of the timeline and won't be checking my email/portal like crazy.

@WorldPeaceMaker2010 I'm really sorry about the frustrating situation you're in, but if it was a generic email, it's quite possible that there was just a delay in sending the email to you, not necessarily a delay in reviewing your application. Hopefully once the school/office re-opens, you can contact them to clarify.

Thanks, I really hope thats what happened. 

14 hours ago, s0ciology1992 said:

I did, it means you're in, unless in the extremely rare event the university declines. very rare.  let's chat! 

Any more details about these calls from Columbia? 

16 hours ago, waitnhope said:

Does anyone know if UCLA has released all of their acceptances? Thanks in advance! 

16 hours ago, HighlyCaffeinated said:

I've heard from a few people that they tend to release acceptances in two waves.  There is still hope!

If somebody wants to help out with an idea of how many they typically admit for a cohort size of ~15, we could maybe figure this out.  My UCLA visit days email invite had 31 prospectives as recipients.  At Chicago I think they admitted ~28 or so, expecting about half of them to matriculate.

14 minutes ago, nbc21 said:

If somebody wants to help out with an idea of how many they typically admit for a cohort size of ~15, we could maybe figure this out.  My UCLA visit days email invite had 31 prospectives as recipients.  At Chicago I think they admitted ~28 or so, expecting about half of them to matriculate.

If they invited 31 to this year's prospective event, I'd be willing to bet that's it for admits then. UCLA seems to notify rejects later and it'll just be a matter of the graduate school getting around to rejecting folks. Now, time for my hourly, let's-hurry-it-up-Harvard-so-I-can-make-my-decision post. 

4 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

That was me! Got an e-mail from Jenn Sherman about 45 mins ago!

CONGRATS! I have nothing yet but I'm crossing my fingers; the department is open for about 2 and a half more hours :unsure:

Just wanted to share from my reading of the 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections thread - Last year on Feb 18 quite a few people suddenly got in and were celebrating when, 'In a cruel twist of fate, Columbia PhD acceptances yesterday were a clerical error. They didn't even apologize in the correction email' ( link ) and I cannot even fathom!

Thought I'd share their woes, as that forum reads like a book of dramatic ups and downs which fills my wait time quite nicely as it's obviously easy to relate to. 

18 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

That was me! Got an e-mail from Jenn Sherman about 45 mins ago!

Congrats!  I am so jealous right now!  WSU is one of my top schools and I've used her work quite a bit in my thesis....I'm still holding out hope.  

16 minutes ago, montanem said:

Congrats!  I am so jealous right now!  WSU is one of my top schools and I've used her work quite a bit in my thesis....I'm still holding out hope.  

That's so awesome! What was your thesis on?

8 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

That's so awesome! What was your thesis on?

I did work with nonprofit groups that gather and distribute expired food (amongst themselves, not run by middle class for poor)- most of my conclusions were about how they negotiate class in rural settings (moral capital).  I found Sherman's work to be really useful.  That's why I'm so hopeful about WSU though- I could really continue on & grow w/ what I've been working on w/ my MA. 

Edited by montanem

14 minutes ago, montanem said:

I did work with nonprofit groups in Oregon that gather and distribute expired food (amongst themselves, not run by middle class for poor)- most of my conclusions were about how they negotiate class in rural settings (moral capital).  I found Sherman's work to be really useful.  That's why I'm so hopeful about WSU though- I could really continue on & grow w/ what I've been working on w/ my MA. 

Sounds awesome! What are your general research interests? Her work on how the structural conditions/cultural norms of rural/small towns affect poverty management is really cool, especially for people like me broadly interested in how neighborhoods/communities affect social mobility. Hope you hear back soon :)

5 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

Just got a call from the DGS at Brandeis letting me know that I've been admitted with five years of funding! Very nice conversation. Invited to visit a grad seminar and meet with students/professors (there's no set visit day for all admits). 

Big congrats!

15 minutes ago, GvilleGirl said:

Sounds awesome! What are your general research interests? Her work on how the structural conditions/cultural norms of rural/small towns affect poverty management is really cool, especially for people like me broadly interested in how neighborhoods/communities affect social mobility. Hope you hear back soon :)

Going forward I would like to explore the impacts of policy (medical or other safety net) on low income communities (how it impacts mobility, how policy can impact/reinforce class inequalities).  I hope so too- I'm starting to have my doubts about getting in anywhere this year but here's to being optimistic.   Congrats again by the way!  It is a great program!

Edited by montanem