Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

2 minutes ago, montanem said:

Anyone want to claim the Duke waitlist?  Did you reach out or did they just shoot you an e-mail? I'm pretty anxious since I didn't hear anything Friday.  

That was me :) The grad director emailed me. It was a very encouraging email despite being waitlisted, saying that in a normal year I would've been accepted by now. He did say the official email would be sent in the next 2-3 days so maybe others can expect to hear waitlists/rejections then.

37 minutes ago, IncomingPhD2017 said:

That was me :) The grad director emailed me. It was a very encouraging email despite being waitlisted, saying that in a normal year I would've been accepted by now. He did say the official email would be sent in the next 2-3 days so maybe others can expect to hear waitlists/rejections then.

Thanks for the update!  Ooh I am so hopeful now haha I could use some good news at this point.

PS: Congrats!

Edited by montanem

20 hours ago, nbc21 said:

Spoke to a student at Harvard just today- he said he's not positive, but he's thinking sometime this week.  Northwestern seems like the only one that waits until they get the final go-ahead from the dean before notifying, so that could be something like 2 weeks from now.

Isn't Harvard one of the schools that interviews like 20-30 students before accepting like half of them? Were those interviews already conducted, or are they not doing interviews for whatever reason?

I saw that UC Irvine sent out notices earlier, but I still have not heard anything.. so waitlist or not in the first round of letters then? Also, no one heard from Kentucky or Michigan State? I was a part of the UNC rejections last weekend and am quite anxious about hearing back.

6 minutes ago, wfish said:

I saw that UC Irvine sent out notices earlier, but I still have not heard anything.. so waitlist or not in the first round of letters then? Also, no one heard from Kentucky or Michigan State? I was a part of the UNC rejections last weekend and am quite anxious about hearing back.

Check UC Irvine's GATS system.  That will have information.  From emails sent out, it sounds like they have given out all acceptances- perhaps you are on the wait list.  Good luck!

One email said: "We have recommended that each of you be admitted to UCI and are awaiting the final paperwork and approval. We hope this will be provided by February 15th if not much earlier."

Sounds like they have contacted everyone recommended for admission.

Edited by HighlyCaffeinated

Hello, 

It's early February but I see some schools have sent decision per the results page.

Does anyone know when Yale or Harvard will send out a notice? I heard that Yale conducted interviews last year and maybe this year but hadn't heard much else.

Just curious. I know the programs accept 5-6 students but Yale has hired two non-traditional faculty members this year that have further interested me. 

Please ignore post. 

Edited by Planner101
Did see previous post.

So random question...

So a lot of schools I've noticed say that most applicants don't hear back till March or April, like UCLA for instance says that on their grad application status check tool, but when you look on the results page on Grad Cafe, most of the acceptances and rejections for a lot of the schools, just like UCLA, are way before that. Do they just say March or April so that they don't get a lot of people calling and emailing or do they really make "most" of the decisions during those months like they say? 

10 minutes ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

So random question...

So a lot of schools I've noticed say that most applicants don't hear back till March or April, like UCLA for instance says that on their grad application status check tool, but when you look on the results page on Grad Cafe, most of the acceptances and rejections for a lot of the schools, just like UCLA, are way before that. Do they just say March or April so that they don't get a lot of people calling and emailing or do they really make "most" of the decisions during those months like they say? 

I would say most admissions notifications happen by mid-February/late February. With the exception of programs that have late or rolling deadlines. Also, most schools require you to accept/deny admission offers by April 15th. 

26 minutes ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

So random question...

Hi where can you check the UCLA application status? Is it the same website where we submitted the application?

2 minutes ago, seon0102 said:

Hi where can you check the UCLA application status? Is it the same website where we submitted the application?

If you google "UCLA grad application status check", the first link will take you to a form if I remember correctly and it will give you a password and connect it to your application and then you just login and it gives you the status. 

On 1/30/2017 at 9:25 AM, ndrun said:

Thanks for the response. Yeah ND admits at the end of February, after the interviews. The reason I'm concerned is that I didn't get an invitation to the interview weekend, which is virtually an acceptance. Some years all those invited are accepted. I also didn't get rejected so it seems like either I'm in limbo or my rejection hasn't been sent yet. Do you know of anyone whose every been accepted after not getting an interview? Seems unlikely. Or have rejections come in waves?

I was not invited to an interview as a wait-listed applicant last year.

4 minutes ago, sociologicals said:

Did any of the UCI admits get an email "UCI 2017 (not 2016!)."

She refers to an earlier email sent with a typo but I didn't get any emails referring to UCI 2016. I'm just being paranoid I've missed out on some important info.

Thanks!

She is referring to the email sent on January 27 :)

1 hour ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

If you google "UCLA grad application status check", the first link will take you to a form if I remember correctly and it will give you a password and connect it to your application and then you just login and it gives you the status. 

Thank you for this! I agree with whoever it was who said above that it is a bit confusing that they say decisions aren't made until March or April when most visit days are in March and you have to decide by April 15th. My UCLA app status still says no decision has been made. 

In other news, Yale accepted the second week of February last year... so maybe we'll hear something this week.

On 2/4/2017 at 7:08 PM, sociologicalpizza said:

I'm not expecting to hear back from Stony Brook for a little while longer because the deadline was so late. I applied to both schools too though- what are your research interests?

Gender/sexuality, higher education, violence, & law/policy. What about you?

On 2/1/2017 at 4:09 PM, HighlyCaffeinated said:

Some have been accepted and rejected- I'm still waiting though... congrats on Irvine! I've been admitted there as well.

6 hours ago, wfish said:

I was accepted to UCI in late January.