Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

7 hours ago, Dreameir said:

Hi! New to this thread and anxious as ever.

A few days ago I received an email from UCLA stating that they've reviewed the first batch of applicants and I was nominated for a fellowship I applied for...but I still don't know if I got accepted into UCLA and on the website it says decisions aren't made until march/april.

How can I be nominated if I'm not accepted yet?

On the results page it looks like at least the first batch of acceptances for UCLA around the 27th of Jan and some rejections came out today. As long as you're not rejected, I suppose you'll have to just keep playing the waiting game!

16 minutes ago, jipario said:

I wonder what's up with UCLA. Didn't get an acceptance notification last month nor a rejection today. It, along with Harvard, is my top choice, so any info would be great! 

Yeah, I didn't get a rejection email today, either. Not sure what's up with that. I checked the web app portal but there is no place that gives a status.

19 minutes ago, jipario said:

I wonder what's up with UCLA. Didn't get an acceptance notification last month nor a rejection today. It, along with Harvard, is my top choice, so any info would be great! 

Looking at the results board, UCLA notified acceptances and rejections in waves last year (for example, rejections range from the end of January until February 25th). I know that "no news is good news" doesn't do much to quell my anxiety, but I think there's some truth to it particularly in this instance (or at least "no news isn't definitive bad news" in this case).

Best of luck and here's hoping to some good news soon!

Still reluctant to accept the no news is good news strategy on UCLA as someone said they've already accepted 31 people. Unless we are part of that 31 and they just mistyped our email addresses, I think we might be out of luck. There are so many of us without notifications and so few actual rejections on the board. 

On checking the app status, I think it's done at a different portal (thus not the application portal). Googling UCLA grad app brings you to a different portal that allows you to check your status. It asks for a particular password that must not be the same one you used to apply with as mine doesn't work for that portal nor does requesting a new password. 

UCLA's acceptances/rejections "waves" and Boston's blizzard are the only things standing between me and my decision! 

13 minutes ago, jipario said:

Still reluctant to accept the no news is good news strategy on UCLA as someone said they've already accepted 31 people. Unless we are part of that 31 and they just mistyped our email addresses, I think we might be out of luck. There are so many of us without notifications and so few actual rejections on the board. 

On checking the app status, I think it's done at a different portal (thus not the application portal). Googling UCLA grad app brings you to a different portal that allows you to check your status. It asks for a particular password that must not be the same one you used to apply with as mine doesn't work for that portal nor does requesting a new password. 

UCLA's acceptances/rejections "waves" and Boston's blizzard are the only things standing between me and my decision! 

I hear you. It's incredibly tough waiting and I understand not wanting to hold onto hope as things start not to look so good. I'll cross my fingers that you get some good news from Harvard soon! 

As far as the app status, I was unaware of the other portal until maybe a week ago. When I did find it, I entered my email and then hit the "retrieve password" button and it sent it right to my email (still says no decision has been made). Not sure why the same isn't happening for you?

Edit: the password was a string of numbers and letters... not a password I chose.

Edited by c11m07

2 hours ago, limonchello said:

On the results page it looks like at least the first batch of acceptances for UCLA around the 27th of Jan and some rejections came out today. As long as you're not rejected, I suppose you'll have to just keep playing the waiting game!

Where is the results page? From the actual fellowship details it states "All nominees must be officially admitted by the Graduate division. To prioritize Graduate Division's Admissions office review of your fellowship nominee, be sure to flag the person as a fellowship nominee." Does that mean that I've been admitted, but they just haven't sent it out yet in the next wave?

The UCLA decision portal is here: https://appstatus.grad.ucla.edu/Account/AppStatus.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2faccount%2flogin.aspx

Enter your email address and it should give you an open to retrieve password.  They give you a randomly generated password,  not one you've used before.

Also to those discussing the UCLA visitation email... It might help you clear up the situation by figuring this out.

Whoever received it: perhaps check if all of the emails listed were all other accepted students?  For some of my graduate admissions notifications, many people were CC'd that are in the department.

1 hour ago, c11m07 said:

I hear you. It's incredibly tough waiting and I understand not wanting to hold onto hope as things start not to look so good. I'll cross my fingers that you get some good news from Harvard soon! 

As far as the app status, I was unaware of the other portal until maybe a week ago. When I did find it, I entered my email and then hit the "retrieve password" button and it sent it right to my email (still says no decision has been made). Not sure why the same isn't happening for you?

Edit: the password was a string of numbers and letters... not a password I chose.

Hey all. UCLA grad here. We've been receiving emails about hosting students to the degree that it wouldn't make sense to keep on admitting more students into the program. So, I think it is safe to say that all those who have been admitted, have been.

1 hour ago, Dreameir said:

Where is the results page? From the actual fellowship details it states "All nominees must be officially admitted by the Graduate division. To prioritize Graduate Division's Admissions office review of your fellowship nominee, be sure to flag the person as a fellowship nominee." Does that mean that I've been admitted, but they just haven't sent it out yet in the next wave?

This is the results board: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=sociology

In the search bar, you can also type in "sociology UCLA" or "sociology University of California Los Angeles" if you want to see acceptance/rejection dates from previous years.

Edited by csot

1 hour ago, MaxWeberHasAPosse said:

Hey all. UCLA grad here. We've been receiving emails about hosting students to the degree that it wouldn't make sense to keep on admitting more students into the program. So, I think it is safe to say that all those who have been admitted, have been.

Yea that's what I figured. Just wish they wouldn't do these weird rejection waves it seems they do. 

Hey all, has anyone heard from PennState?  I am starting to feel confused as to what's going on with my status there as I've heard nothing.  I can see that people have had interviews and been accepted but no rejections have been posted (although someone on here said they had received a rejection in the mail- I have not).  I e-mailed them and silence and the website still reads "in review."  Thoughts? 

Got my rejection from Boulder yesterday and I was really shocked because I have met my POI and they wanted to work with me buuuut thanks to Grad Cafe I was able to predict I wasn't getting accepted based on their previous years' trends... I just saw a bunch of other people post their rejections from Boulder and I am guessing a ton of people applied this year? Also I am now wondering how common it is to build a solid seeming rapport with a faculty member and then not get accepted-- I won't get my hopes up like that again. 

South Carolina has never looked so good, I hope I get off the waitlist!

1 hour ago, Aucitronvert said:

Got my rejection from Boulder yesterday and I was really shocked because I have met my POI and they wanted to work with me buuuut thanks to Grad Cafe I was able to predict I wasn't getting accepted based on their previous years' trends... I just saw a bunch of other people post their rejections from Boulder and I am guessing a ton of people applied this year? Also I am now wondering how common it is to build a solid seeming rapport with a faculty member and then not get accepted-- I won't get my hopes up like that again. 

South Carolina has never looked so good, I hope I get off the waitlist!

Good luck to you!  I would've been surprised too.  I guess you just never know!

Edited by HighlyCaffeinated

Congrats to everyone who received good news over the weekend! :) It is encouraging to see acceptances posted on the results board.  Good luck to everyone this week!  Fingers crossed for good news all around!  (I am really feeling the Cali hippy/optimism vibes after yoga today).  

I'm not sure about this week, but these are the schools (in the top 40 USNWR) that we are still waiting to start hearing acceptances from:

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Harvard, Northwestern, University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University, City University of New York, University of Massachusetts - Amherst, Vanderbilt, University of California - San Diego, and University of Virginia

16 minutes ago, csot said:

I'm not sure about this week, but these are the schools (in the top 40 USNWR) that we are still waiting to start hearing acceptances from:

University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, Harvard, Northwestern, University of Pennsylvania, Johns Hopkins University, City University of New York, University of Massachusetts - Amherst, Vanderbilt, University of California - San Diego, and University of Virginia

I am still not sure about Princeton -- have we already heard from them?