Fall 2017 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

csot

22 minutes ago, AmityDuPeuple said:

Thanks. I know that institutional/program acceptance rates vary, and I imagine that overall acceptance rates vary depending on the amount of people who apply and the available positions. I was just curious as to the overall percentage (across every discipline and university) of individuals who apply and get accepted in any given year. I am sure this number would be incredibly difficult to figure out, there are so many variables. (At least it seems that way for my non-quant mind. I am sure ND's statistics bootcamp and the entire year of stats I will be required to take will have me thinking differently in no time. At least I hope so. I really want/need to use mixed methods for my dissertation.)

I think, at least for some of us, this is our second round because we chose to do an MA first. 

The link didn't work for me :( 

Here's a link to the PDF - I've seen the one they were talking about before. https://www.coloradocollege.edu/dotAsset/be00c34c-5b8c-4097-97b9-4855574b8a3b.pdf

36 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

Ok. That's petty, but do whatever you want. I really don't care.

I know man. Not pressing the up arrow button when someone's being an ass is some real Hedonic calculus.

For real though, here's an actual puzzle: what kind of person starts publicly sobbing about downvotes on a website called "the grad cafe" and then shits on someone who tries to answer their question about it?

42 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

I'd be interested to hear how you make actual, ya know, important decisions in your life. I'm sure there's an elaborate system there.

Nah I just flip a coin.

25 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

You implied that I am relatively unintelligent. That's insulting.

Lol where

You're not only wrong, you're crazy if you can't accurately interpret the chain of events here.

Hm.

Publicly sobbing? I'd be interested to see where that came from. Do you just make things up about people all the time?

Welp, this is awkward:

11 hours ago, bradley610 said:

Because decisions are personal and they have to be made according to individual circumstances, not based on your or anyone else's desires. Why anyone would down vote my comment is totally bizarre to me.

7 hours ago, bradley610 said:

Thanks for the down votes. How bout if you disagree with my reasoning you actually tell me and explain why. 

*explains reasoning*

1 hour ago, bradley610 said:

Ok. That's petty, but do whatever you want. I really don't care. I'd be interested to hear how you make actual, ya know, important decisions in your life. I'm sure there's an elaborate system there.

Huh.

Do you just make things up about people all the time?

Yes!

33 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

I wonder if you can answer without sarcasm.

Whoops.

34 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

I'm not especially offended by all of this; it's more strange than anything else.

I get back to my computer: a one-man show of abusive private messages for all the folks keeping score at home. It's very fun.

"What a strange and sad person you are. Truly unlikable, unless you choose to stop picking idiotic fights with strangers. But hey, I bet you have a really sweet CV. Real life is better, man. I promise." - Bradley610, 30 minutes ago

"Oh come on. Shouldn't you have a quip ready? That's what you do, right?" - Bradley610, 22 minutes ago

"Seriously. I'm intrigued to see what sort of nonsense you're gonna dredge up. Let's go. I don't have all night." - Bradley610, 16 minutes ago

"Come on. It was kinda fun. You got to pretend you're smarter than a complete stranger! Why stop now?" - Bradley, 1 minute ago

"I won't lie. This is unsatisfying. I thought there were a few more rounds in the chamber, the kinda material you might come up with sad bachelor friends at soulless happy hours. You're totally that kind of dude, right?" - Bradley, Now

**THREAD PAGE BREAK**

"That's what I thought. When pressed you can't even answer a straightforward question like an adult. Please don't waste my time in the future." - Bradley610.

Word of the wise: "Trying to offer some perspective isn't being mean. And being nice for nice's sake doesn't have a whole lot of value. I don't think what I or Oranges has said is out of bounds at all; you can demonstrate a firm, alternative viewpoint and be respectful at the same time." - @bradley610, yesterday.

Night night err'body!

@inooradd

I contact UC Irvine's admin staff yesterday. They said they would send out some additional acceptances in the next four weeks, although they have already sent out quite a few offers in late Jan.

Sounds like they have not waitlisted anybody. Do they just keep all applicants waiting?

Edited by Woody Wu

1 minute ago, Planner101 said:

Does anyone have any waiting strategies to disrupt the anxiety of checking GradCafe and University websites every hour??!?!?!  

hahahahah no but share them with me if you come up with any!

1 hour ago, ruilinch said:

waitlisted by Boston College. They are nice enough to let me know so I guess it's better than none, though the disappointment is deeply felt no matter what.

Care to share what method of communication they used (email, phone, mail, etc)? Thanks!! They are one of the last ones I am waiting to hear from so any info is better than no info :)

55 minutes ago, meowcow said:

Care to share what method of communication they used (email, phone, mail, etc)? Thanks!! They are one of the last ones I am waiting to hear from so any info is better than no info :)

I was also waitlisted by BC-- received an email this morning explaining that I was on the wait list for the PhD, what the funding would be if I got off it, an invite for visit day, and that I would definitely be admitted to the (unfunded) master's program if I didn't get off the PhD waitlist.

13 hours ago, limonchello said:

Here's a link to the PDF - I've seen the one they were talking about before. https://www.coloradocollege.edu/dotAsset/be00c34c-5b8c-4097-97b9-4855574b8a3b.pdf

I also found this table for Cornell - just select Sociology in the upper right: https://public.tableau.com/views/Assessment-Selectivity/Selectivity?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y&:toolbar=no&:showVizHome=no

38 minutes ago, c11m07 said:

I was also waitlisted by BC-- received an email this morning explaining that I was on the wait list for the PhD, what the funding would be if I got off it, an invite for visit day, and that I would definitely be admitted to the (unfunded) master's program if I didn't get off the PhD waitlist.

GReat, so if we got nothing at all it's likely a reject :/

Admitted by Rutgers but waitlisted for funding. Hope good news will come. But it seems that every year Rutgers will give full funding to only half of those who are admitted...

Also waitlisted by UMich and Emory. God! How I wish that I can go there!

Edited by RTS123

After seeing a rejection from UC Davis on the board I e-mailed them....still haven't heard anyting back :/ here's to hoping it is good news (even though it doesn't look like people are ever admitted this late).  

5 hours ago, Planner101 said:

Does anyone have any waiting strategies to disrupt the anxiety of checking GradCafe and University websites every hour??!?!?!  

Go to the beach without your phone, or somewhere else on a vacation where you will only be able to check your email at night. That's what I did last week, but I was fortunate to have the week off of work.

5 hours ago, Planner101 said:

Reading gradcafe on a regular basis was pretty unhealthy, and for me the best thing was to just check once or twice a week. Hard the first few days but man the anxiety goes way down.

5 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

GReat, so if we got nothing at all it's likely a reject :/

It seems I received the same email as @c11m07. They did mention that the wait list is short. I don't know if it's possible for them to extend offers beyond the waitlist, but I guess even so the chances would be very slim. I haven't heard any positive news from any of 8 programs to which I have applied except for this wait list email. So we are both in very hard places but hopefully you should be slightly better than me still. I have already started to look for jobs now and got an amazing offer in the industry which is the only reason why being waitlisted by BC is not the end of the world for me. I couldn't imagine otherwise.

On 2/28/2017 at 6:18 PM, ruilinch said:

It seems I received the same email as @c11m07. They did mention that the wait list is short. I don't know if it's possible for them to extend offers beyond the waitlist, but I guess even so the chances would be very slim. I haven't heard any positive news from any of 8 programs to which I have applied except for this wait list email. So we are both in very hard places but hopefully you should be slightly better than me still. I have already started to look for jobs now and got an amazing offer in the industry which is the only reason why being waitlisted by BC is not the end of the world for me. I couldn't imagine otherwise.

If all of BC went out today... that only leave me wondering about Northeastern (Poli Sci), and Brandeis (Social Policy)... and desperately trying to get off Umass Amherst's waitlist. 

Also... I know Yale went out, but I never got a rejection?

31 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

I have yet to hear from them, as well. I'm guessing they send their rejections much later?

48 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

If all of BC went out today... that only leave me wondering about Northeastern (Poli Sci), and Brandies (Social Policy)... and desperately trying to get off Umass Amherst's waitlist. 

I guess Yale is most likely to be a no now although rejection hasn't come yet. They have sent more offers than they plan to admit and they provide very generous packages so I doubt it they would be accepting anybody new. The reason why their rejections should come so late might be because most people who did get an offer are still waiting for more news to come. 

I have waited longer than I had expected for the admission results this year during which my anxiety compels me to search for any news I could get about PhD. I have come to understand it better and I do feel sad to say that maybe it's not the best of the options should you have more than one.

Have you thought about finding a job like me? Waiting doesn't solve anything really. You can find something else to do in between like an internship. Even if you did end up doing a PhD, some working experience would still benefit you. 

I feel like working and studying are completely different experiences. During work you interact with people all the time and you get feedbacks very quickly. Being a student on the other hand means a lot of waiting and I really hate it now with this experience. But again serious thinking is more likely to happen in a slow process so I guess eventually I would return to academia, but right now I really need some fresh air...

6 minutes ago, ruilinch said:

I guess Yale is most likely to be a no now although rejection hasn't come yet. They have sent more offers than they plan to admit and they provide very generous packages so I doubt it they would be accepting anybody new. The reason why their rejections should come so late might be because most people who did get an offer are still waiting for more news to come. 

I have waited longer than I had expected for the admission results this year during which my anxiety compels me to search for any news I could get about PhD. I have come to understand it better and I do feel sad to say that maybe it's not the best of the options should you have more than one.

Have you thought about finding a job like me? Waiting doesn't solve anything really. You can find something else to do in between like an internship. Even if you did end up doing a PhD, some working experience would still benefit you. 

I feel like working and studying are completely different experiences. During work you interact with people all the time and you get feedbacks very quickly. Being a student on the other hand means a lot of waiting and I really hate it now with this experience. But again serious thinking is more likely to happen in a slow process so I guess eventually I would return to academia, but right now I really need some fresh air...

I actually have worked and have an MA. I'm very sure a PhD is the next step :)

I do have an an acceptance ... just would prefer Umass's program

Edited by WorldPeaceMaker2010