Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

47 minutes ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

I knooooooooow you're right. Lol. I guess I knew it before I wrote it, but still. :rolleyes:

Did they list a date they’d alert by? I’m in the “you’ve paid them x amount of dollars to look at your application, the least they can do is keep you updated” camp. If they list a date on the website and it’s passed that day, I’d email. If not, maybe stick it out another week or so and then email. Yes, they’re busy, but they know how this process works. 

6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

UCLA News: Both my friend and I received document-tracker notifications that UCLA opened our official transcripts. The last time that happened was a few days after the Dec. deadline. 

Any one else get this?  Thoughts on what it might mean?Maybe @Warelin or @la_mod?

I’ve no idea what this means. I didn’t do document tracking on mine this time. Do you remember if they have transcript upload as well? Or another place at which to I put GPA? And they opened them already this round, or last? Hoping it means they’re close.

6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

UCLA News: Both my friend and I received document-tracker notifications that UCLA opened our official transcripts. The last time that happened was a few days after the Dec. deadline. 

Any one else get this?  Thoughts on what it might mean?Maybe @Warelin or @la_mod?

Was UCLA the school that switched their online application system in the middle of a cycle? If so, it sounds like they're getting ready for review soon. :)

4 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I’ve no idea what this means. I didn’t do document tracking on mine this time. Do you remember if they have transcript upload as well? Or another place at which to I put GPA? And they opened them already this round, or last? Hoping it means they’re close.

I don't remember about a transcript upload. UCLA was the only school that I applied to that made a fuss over official transcripts. They opened my document this round, around Dec. 20ish. Ideal scenario is they're deciding soon (given that they normally tell this week) and are re-checking to make sure everything is order, but that's a lot of optimistic speculation based on a doc tracker!

6 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Was UCLA the school that switched their online application system in the middle of a cycle? If so, it sounds like they're getting ready for review soon. :)

Yes, they were. You are the pragmatist but I will stay hopeful that they are at the end of the process rather than the beginning!

3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I don't remember about a transcript upload. UCLA was the only school that I applied to that made a fuss over official transcripts. They opened my document this round, around Dec. 20ish. Ideal scenario is they're deciding soon (given that they normally tell this week) and are re-checking to make sure everything is order, but that's a lot of optimistic speculation based on a doc tracker!

Yes, they were. You are the pragmatist but I will stay hopeful that they are at the end of the process rather than the beginning!

I’m going to also hope they’re toward the end of the process and literally pray that it’s good news!

16 minutes ago, la_mod said:

They did have transcript upload and a box for manually inputting GPA. I remember this because my undergraduate school didn't use GPAs, so I had to make a fuss over estimating one. Good luck to everyone. I am white-knuckling it right alongside you. :-)

20 minutes ago, lespectre said:

They did have transcript upload and a box for manually inputting GPA. I remember this because my undergraduate school didn't use GPAs, so I had to make a fuss over estimating one. Good luck to everyone. I am white-knuckling it right alongside you. :-)

Good to know! Let's hope that their re-opening of transcripts means that they're re-verifying some things and will let us know this week!

16 hours ago, mk-8 said:

Did they list a date they’d alert by? I’m in the “you’ve paid them x amount of dollars to look at your application, the least they can do is keep you updated” camp. If they list a date on the website and it’s passed that day, I’d email. If not, maybe stick it out another week or so and then email. Yes, they’re busy, but they know how this process works. 

Thanks! They just say that candidates will be notified of decisions "in February." Which has just started, so I guess I'll hold off on bugging them. 

1 hour ago, JustPoesieAlong said:

Thanks! They just say that candidates will be notified of decisions "in February." Which has just started, so I guess I'll hold off on bugging them. 

Yeah... I guess we’re only really 6 days into February, so maybe wait a bit. The good thing is, February is a short month! 

17 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Thoughts on the Berkeley acceptance? How long should I wait till spiraling? 

I'm stupidly trying to convince myself it's spam or a mean prank. I'm very worried though. I need an acceptance from SOMEWHERE.

When I was applying for my MA, I contacted 2 programs for decisions, but it was in late March/early April. I was assuming rejections and just wanted confirmation so I could officially accept my offer. Surpise suprise  though I never officially got a decision. Some schools wait until the last minute to send out their last round of rejections, but some are still figuring out their decisions, so in my opinion it's too early to contact them. 

57 minutes ago, la_mod said:

i would never call a department asking about their decisions timeline but i am dyyyyying to know when ucla / cal will notify

I'm going to guess this Friday/Saturday for UCLA! That seems to be their pattern. (I noticed you applied to UCSB btw...AGHHH my top choice!)

Meanwhile, I know this is crazytalk but I am KICKKINGGGGG myself over only applying to schools who start notifications of all sorts in the second full week of February!! *grumble gurmble* (Minus the predictable Stanford rejection LOL)

Edited by chellyfish_

3 minutes ago, chellyfish_ said:

I'm going to guess this Friday/Saturday for UCLA! That seems to be their pattern. (I noticed you applied to UCSB btw...AGHHH my top choice!)

Meanwhile, I know this is crazytalk but I am KICKKINGGGGG myself over only applying to schools who start notifications of all sorts in the second full week of February!! *grumble gurmble* (Minus the predictable Stanford rejection LOL)

It's probably my top choice too! What's your emphasis?

And I think I'm more kicking myself for logging onto GC before the second week of February....

And I think I'm more kicking myself for logging onto GC before the second week of February....

lol I haven't logged off. trying to read a 40 page chapter right now. going ... poorly.

Medieval eco-crit! I got waitlisted last year but it didn't pan out, but I'm hooopppping my application is stronger this time around....however since admits are essentially a crapshoot, who knows LOL.  As to the second part - I FEEL YOU!  We're all masochists here...

3 minutes ago, chellyfish_ said:

Medieval eco-crit! I got waitlisted last year but it didn't pan out, but I'm hooopppping my application is stronger this time around....however since admits are essentially a crapshoot, who knows LOL.  As to the second part - I FEEL YOU!  We're all masochists here...

Oh, v cool! SB is so good for all of the more niche interests. I really fucked up my application but I'm hoping against hope that I still get in. 

5 minutes ago, la_mod said:

Oh, v cool! SB is so good for all of the more niche interests. I really fucked up my application but I'm hoping against hope that I still get in. 

From communicating with the department last time, they seem suuuuuuppperrr nice.  I had to talk to them on the phone a couple weeks ago for a complicated transcript thing, and they were really nice once again! So fingers crossed that they'll be kind! :P