Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

Today, I found myself extremely bored. As a result, I complied a list of when schools typically notify for first-round acceptances using data from the results page. After, I rearranged things in order by  when programs typically notify.

Michigan State-Dec 10? (Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures)
OSU-Jan 25
Wisconsin- Jan 28
Duke- Jan 29
WashU- Jan 31-Feb 2
Northwestern-Jan 31-Feb 2
Berkeley- Jan 31-Feb 2
Chicago- Feb 1/2
Minnesota-Feb 2
Vanderbilt - Feb 2/3
Texas- Feb 3/4
Indiana-Feb 3/4
Purdue-Feb 3-5
UCLA- Feb 4/5
Johns Hopkins- Feb 5
Davis-Feb 5/6
Penn State- Feb 5/6
Pittsburgh-Feb 5/6
Nebraska-Feb 5-7
NYU-Feb 6/7
Maryland-Feb 7-9
Rochester-Feb 8/9
Emory- Feb 8-9
Irvine-Feb 8-9
Illinois- Feb 9-12
Brown-Feb 10-12
LSU-Feb 11
Rice- Feb 12
Buffalo-Feb 12
Missouri- Feb 12-14
Delaware-Feb 12-14
Kansas-Feb 14
Carnegie Mellon- Feb 14/15
Alabama-Feb 14-16
Cornell- Feb 15/16
Miami University-Feb 15/16
Michigan-Feb 16
Connecticut-Feb 16
CUNY-Feb 16/17
Santa Barbara-Feb 17-19
Stanford- Feb 17-Feb 20
Princeton-Feb 17-20
UVA- Feb 19/20
Rutgers-Feb 19/20
Harvard- Feb 20-Feb 22
Columbia- Feb 20-22
Penn- Feb 20-22
Utah-Feb 22
Notre Dame-Feb 23
Yale- Feb 24/25
Washington-Feb 25
Syracuse-Feb 26
Chapel Hill-Feb 26/27
Oregon-Feb 27-28
Iowa-March 2-5
Florida State-March 4-7
Mississippi- March 5-7

17 hours ago, Warelin said:

Today, I found myself extremely bored. As a result, I complied a list of when schools typically notify for first-round acceptances using data from the results page. After, I rearranged things in order by  when programs typically notify.

This is awesome (but also so stressful; it was kind of nice not having real expectations of when to hear)!

When we talk about "first-round acceptances," what does that mean? For example, if you're going to be waitlisted or rejected outright, do you think you would know at the same time as the "first-round" acceptances" find out they were accepted? Or do schools accept a group, wait to see how many commit, and then continue reviewing? Just a little confused, and wondering what that timeframe's like (if you know)?

Edited by othersamantha

3 minutes ago, othersamantha said:

When we talk about "first-round acceptances," what does that mean? For example, if you're going to be waitlisted or rejected outright, do you think you would know at the same time as the first group finds out they were accepted? What's that timeframe like (if you know)?

Wo. I posted almost the exact same question at almost the exact same time. Freaky.

15 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Ooh! Yes! @JessicaLange -- it looks like you're the first acceptance on the board this cycle, so by GradCafe tradition, you get to start the 2017 Acceptances Thread! Go for it!

Ah, I was not aware of this tradition. I will get right on that.

I can tell you from my experience that it's incredibly program-specific. Last year I got waitlisted at two programs, one the same day that their acceptances went out, the other about two weeks after (I later learned that they were holding a couple slots to determine if there was going to be funding available to take a larger class). Some programs don't do waitlists or rejections at all, and just keep everyone "active" and waiting until April (they call it rolling admissions in some cases).

A friend of mine at UC Santa Cruz said that the ad com finished their first round of reviews early this week and was going to start their second round right away. Thought I'd share...

Hi :)

Does anyone receive the interview invitation from Emory University or University of Maryland-College Park?

I saw someone put the results---"interview via Email'' on the forum, but I haven't receive any notifications from these two programs.

No interview means little chance of acceptance, right? 

Edited by Irene9

2 hours ago, Irene9 said:

Hi :)

Does anyone receive the interview invitation from Emory University or University of Maryland-College Park?

I saw someone put the results---"interview via Email'' on the forum, but I haven't receive any notifications from these two programs.

No interview means little chance of acceptance, right? 

There are several people from my cohort who applied. One received the email which said there were only 15 candidates being invited to two nights of interviews. Only five spots are available from those fifteen. So, unfortunately, I think Emory is out for me, too.

I applied to Maryland as well. I didn't receive any notification, so I'm not sure on that one. 

I know typically acceptances/rejections go out in waves, but with interviews, I don't think they spread those out. Sorry I don't have better news! 

50 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

There are several people from my cohort who applied. One received the email which said there were only 15 candidates being invited to two nights of interviews. Only five spots are available from those fifteen. So, unfortunately, I think Emory is out for me, too.

I applied to Maryland as well. I didn't receive any notification, so I'm not sure on that one. 

I know typically acceptances/rejections go out in waves, but with interviews, I don't think they spread those out. Sorry I don't have better news! 

Thank you, engphiledu. ❤

It seems Emory is highly competitive. I applied to NYU, Wisconsin-Madison, North Carolina - Chapel Hill, University of Pennsylvania, University of Florida too! But my research interest lies with postwar poetry and poetics. 

I wrote to Heather (Coordinator for Graduate Studies, UMD) 3 days ago, she said We are engaged in a holistic review process that will roll out in several steps with different timelines for different area groups within the department. This process is on-going. We anticipate that some offers will go out in February, though other offers may go out later. But she didn't answer my question about the interview. 

Edited by Irene9

54 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

6 minutes ago, Irene9 said:

I wrote to Heather (Coordinator for Graduate Studies, UMD) 3 days ago, she said We are engaged in a holistic review process that will roll out in several steps with different timelines for different area groups within the department. This process is on-going. We anticipate that some offers will go out in February, though other offers may go out later. But she didn't answer my question about the interview. 

Thank you both so much for the information! It's nice to know where I stand. I guess I'm out at Emory (not a surprise) and still a "maybe but don't hold your breath" for UMD.

5 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

Thank you both so much for the information! It's nice to know where I stand. I guess I'm out at Emory (not a surprise) and still a "maybe but don't hold your breath" for UMD.

Let's finger crossed.

I wish the lucky one who got the interview notification put more details on the forum. A few words of description only makes everyone much more anxious! :(

On 1/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, Warelin said:

when schools typically notify for first-round acceptances using data from the results page.

Just to add my data to this (I applied last season), which my be slightly different from this list in some cases.  Utah called me about my acceptance on March 7.  Texas A&M emailed me on Feb. 12, and U of Arizona called me on Feb. 25 and New Mexico emailed the same day.  Waitlisted at Washington State on Feb. 26, and I was on an unofficial waitlist at WUStL (I wasn't notified of this status) and received official rejection April 14.  U of Washington emailed me acceptance on March 4, but no real funding attached. 

I just took a look at the last few years for Northwestern and cross-referenced them with calendars, and it looks like most of their acceptances are relayed via either phone or email over a weekend. If that holds true, then this weekend might bring some good news to the Northwestern applicants. Fingers crossed!

2 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I just took a look at the last few years for Northwestern and cross-referenced them with calendars, and it looks like most of their acceptances are relayed via either phone or email over a weekend. If that holds true, then this weekend might bring some good news to the Northwestern applicants. Fingers crossed!

Fingers certainly crossed! Thanks for this (anxiety-inducing) update!