Projected Acceptance Dates for English PHD programs

9 hours ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

I just took a look at the last few years for Northwestern and cross-referenced them with calendars

ha! i've been doing a lot of this as well. not just what dates they typically notify, but what days of the week, how many weeks into the semester, how long after MLK holiday, etc. 

23 minutes ago, tvethiopia said:

ha! i've been doing a lot of this as well. not just what dates they typically notify, but what days of the week, how many weeks into the semester, how long after MLK holiday, etc. 

I keep telling myself it's just good research! It's just good research! Not nerdy at all:P

2 hours ago, waitinwishin said:

Anyone get any news from Johns Hopkins? I'm wasting way too much time on these boards waiting to see if anyone got emails...

Nothing on my end. I don't think they've notified yet... or I hope not!

30 minutes ago, mereandtonks said:

First time poster, but I'm driving myself insane. Any news from Vandy?? WE'RE BEYOND THEIR PROJECTED DATE AHHHHHH

looks like somebody got waitlisted there today!

2 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Hope everyone gets accepted so I have less competition next year. :P

I'm not even applying this cycle but it's interesting to hear the different interests different people have and I hope it's something that continues.

Well I'm just applying for the free vacations, so I'll definitely be back next year even if I am accepted somewhere ;) 

Does anyone have thoughts/insight into what UMD is up to? First a trickle of interviews, then a small number of admits. My own portal still says departmental review. Based on data from previous years, they seem to use an enormous wait list; are we assuming that those of us who are yet to hear the Call of the Turtle are either on the wait list or the no list? 

Yours in speculation, 
Jeremy

2 hours ago, JeremyWrites said:

Does anyone have thoughts/insight into what UMD is up to? First a trickle of interviews, then a small number of admits. My own portal still says departmental review. Based on data from previous years, they seem to use an enormous wait list; are we assuming that those of us who are yet to hear the Call of the Turtle are either on the wait list or the no list? 

Yours in speculation, 
Jeremy

Honestly? I still have no clue, and I think very few people outside of the inner circle of UMD's adcom know either. I can say with reasonable confidence that the different area groups are entrusted with contacting their acceptees, but beyond that? I got nothin'. I know of several people who have been admitted, but it's certainly sporadic... I don't think you can interpret the lack of response one way or the other at this point.

21 minutes ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Honestly? I still have no clue, and I think very few people outside of the inner circle of UMD's adcom know either. I can say with reasonable confidence that the different area groups are entrusted with contacting their acceptees, but beyond that? I got nothin'. I know of several people who have been admitted, but it's certainly sporadic... I don't think you can interpret the lack of response one way or the other at this point.

Groovy. Thanks for reassuring my uncertainty. 

That's a weird thing to thank somebody for. This whole "will I go to grad school" thing is really a trip, innit?

(In other news, I just discovered that you can write GradCafé posts in Comic Sans. I'm not saying I'm going to do this indefinitely, but right now I'm going to take my small moments of glee where I can get 'em.)

Edited by JeremyWrites
comic sans!

Happy to reassure your uncertainty with my own amorphous uncertainty.

[Insert comment about death and taxes here]

If I were to make a [completely speculative, largely unfounded] guess, I'd say that rhet-comp and 18th century is largely decided, other than for waitlists, but speaking as someone already in the graduate program, there's an informational vacuum. That's completely understandable and probably to be expected, but it's still ever-so-slightly surprising to me.

Has anyone compiled a list of any other English PhD programs to add to this one? How did you come by this one? Is this information available on websites or do you know from experience/others' experiences? Thanks for putting this together by the way

6 hours ago, Lesleo said:

Has anyone compiled a list of any other English PhD programs to add to this one? How did you come by this one? Is this information available on websites or do you know from experience/others' experiences? Thanks for putting this together by the way

Warelin can correct me if I'm wrong, but this list is most likely compiled from the results page here at Grad Cafe. Once someone receives a decision, they post their results on that page. It's not comprehensive, of course, as only an unknown percentage of total applicants participate at GC...yet there are enough results each cycle to make it reasonably reliable. Clearly a lot of lurkers post results, and the figures in a given year are generally quite predictive.

1 hour ago, Wyatt's Terps said:

Warelin can correct me if I'm wrong, but this list is most likely compiled from the results page here at Grad Cafe. Once someone receives a decision, they post their results on that page. It's not comprehensive, of course, as only an unknown percentage of total applicants participate at GC...yet there are enough results each cycle to make it reasonably reliable. Clearly a lot of lurkers post results, and the figures in a given year are generally quite predictive.

WT is indeed correct on this. Some schools were excluded from the list if there were few results or the results seemed inconsistent from year to year.

How come did SUNY (English) start rejecting and the deadline has not even passed yet?!

If it's on a rolling basis, I am screwed. 

22 minutes ago, KTF87 said:

How come did SUNY (English) start rejecting and the deadline has not even passed yet?!

If it's on a rolling basis, I am screwed. 

There are many SUNY schools and they all work independently of each other. So if Buffalo has released decisions, that means absolutely nothing to you if you applied to Stony Brook or Albany or any of the others. 

It also depends on which program you've applied to... at Buffalo, for example, the PhD deadline was December 15, but the MA deadline is March 1. So far it seems that only PhD decisions have come out, so if you applied for the MA, there's nothing to be concerned with. 

On 2/2/2017 at 9:25 AM, JeremyWrites said:

There are many SUNY schools and they all work independently of each other. So if Buffalo has released decisions, that means absolutely nothing to you if you applied to Stony Brook or Albany or any of the others. 

It also depends on which program you've applied to... at Buffalo, for example, the PhD deadline was December 15, but the MA deadline is March 1. So far it seems that only PhD decisions have come out, so if you applied for the MA, there's nothing to be concerned with. 

Thank you for this -  I remain undecided about Binghamton but its placement of PhD students is not that encouraging. 

11 hours ago, TeaOverCoffee said:

CONTACT ME WITH YOUR DECISION, NYU. -- Sincerely, your secret admirer. 

What if I sent "Be my valentine" cards to every program I've applied to... is that an appropriate way to woo a program? 

I swear the idea has crossed my mind.
I am refreshing the NYU application portal every -1 second. It's dire.
And I keep looking at the same (not so) stupid typos in my SOP. 

Anybody else wondering what is taking Berkeley so long? Assuming we're referring to the English and not the Comp Lit program, aren't they supposed to get back to us today at the latest?

6 minutes ago, ThePomoHipster said:

Anybody else wondering what is taking Berkeley so long? Assuming we're referring to the English and not the Comp Lit program, aren't they supposed to get back to us today at the latest?

Careful using terms like "supposed to." Remember that all the decision data is historical, and adcoms change from year to year. Sometimes there are different DGS's with different policies (as is the case with UMD). In other words, programs can notify whenever they want -- we only know when they've typically done so. You have to take these dates with a grain of salt, basically. Frustrating, but true.