Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hi all,

Is anyone here applying to Ohio's program? There doesn't seem to be much about the application process online -- last year's deadline (Feb. 15, 2015) is still up. But I generally have a good impression of the program. Just wrote them for info, but wondered if anyone knew anything. In particular, I'm wondering how many scripts they want with their application, how many LORs they require, and have questions about funding and teaching opportunities as a graduate student. Perhaps someone knows?

Cheers,

n.e.

Oh hey guys!

To clarify, I did not mean that a LOR from a Yale grad is an actual literal REQUIREMENT to get in, more that it's so helpful that it's joked about as a requirement. DO NOT TAKE ME THAT SERIOUSLY. LOL. Looking back I see that the way I wrote it came across as much more serious than I intended. YES, your LORs should be from the people who know you best. That said, network your ass off and get to know established playwrights who can speak to your work. And Yale can afford to be so incredibly selective because EVERYONE applies there. Many other top programs get fewer than 100 applications per year, Yale must be several times that. Do the math.

Boxedwine, yes, I've heard that Yale is in transition and something's going on with Vogel and she is (or may be?) leaving. If I hear anything else I'll certainly post it.

newengland1, Erik is very quick about responding to questions. I'm a first-year at Ohio now. I believe I submitted 3 LORs, a full-length, a one-act and a shorter play. They're flexible. Funding is as follows: everyone gets a tuition waiver, everyone gets TAships, and funding varies. I got about $8k for a first-year stipend, and that doesn't include health insurance but many of my classmates have gotten food stamps and Ohio Medicaid so that helps a lot. I'm a TA for Theater History this year and I'm learning a ton. The teaching load is very manageable, especially in your first year.

It looks like Indiana is open to apps this year! Go forth and apply! https://www.facebook.com/gilsheridan/posts/10153718882714847

First two applications are leaving this week, Yale and UCLA. So stoked the list is growing smaller. 

Does anyone have information on Northwestern's Dramatic Writing program (I think that's what it is, it's a multi-focus program)? Or Southern Illinois University? I haven't found much about either - their respective websites are pretty vague. I'm thinking I might scratch Northwestern anyway due to their lack of assistance. 

Anyway, good luck to everyone applying! 

Applying for F16 - Iowa, Ohio, Indiana, Arizona and SAIC. Hope to have all my apps complete by mid-December, even though my deadlines are between January 15th / February 15th. See y'all when the waiting game begins - have a good sense from previous years on this thread as to when we'll start expecting our various results.

Hi all-

So sorry to be MIA, especially after I got such wonderful advice from this community over the summer.  I ended up turning down Columbia so I could reapply to Yale (among others).  And I'm afraid I became a bit of a recluse trying to get my script application ready for this round.  For me that's the part I agonize the most over.  Probably too late for this to be helpful info, but just in case: when I interviewed with Jeannie and Sarah last year, they had a lot to say about my play and it seemed like they hadn't read my resume or statement of intent.  Maybe goes without saying, but it was clear to me that the writing sample really is what makes or breaks the application.  Idca, please let me know if there is any more info that I can provide.  I promise to be more diligent about responding now that we're in full application mode.

Thanks all! 

It's totally possible that the statement plays a part in the final decision at Yale.  But in the interview they seemed surprised to learn things about me that are in my essay, like the fact that I'm the assoc. AD at a regional theatre company.  At the Columbia interview, on the other hand, that wasn't the case.  So it's clearly a school by school thing. I'm sure toiling over your writing sample was worth the effort!

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth re: Yale, I attended the Visitor's Day on the 4th and Jeanie O'Hare mentioned that all she really cares about is the writing sample. She's a serious lady too - I don't think anything outside is going to affect her one way or the other. So instead of fretting over things like what the recommendations are or what the statement is, just put your weight behind the play and take into consideration that the only factors at work are the quality of the writing and the way the voice fits into the overall lattice of the program (right now, the program is very heavily female-filled. I think 6 of the 9 writers currently in the program are women, including every 2nd year. She indicated a desire for strong Latino voices and a lack of energy for "New York plays for the intelligentsia") 

Oh, and she's really biased against screenwriters and TV writers masquerading as playwrights to get exposure: she specifically mentioned a prejudice against writers who write their plays in Final Draft. 

All that said, the program definitely looks fantastic - particularly the interdepartmentality if I might invent a word I think fits. The facilities are old and brown, but there was an extremely strong theatrical energy and the Cabaret space is a playwright's wet dream. 

Hi everyone, 

Happy Holidays. As for the recommendations, no harm no foul. I of course realized its better to have letters that are more about you than the recommender. That said, I did make new connections, so again, no harm no foul. 

As an update, my play went well. A few mistakes here and there, but nothing the audience noticed. Also, my applications for grad school are in, but I'm now looking more closely at theatre company internships/apprenticeships in case I don't get into a grad school on the first try.  

@GlenwoodRed, sounds great! I went there last year, but didn't ask very much cause I was absorbing the experience. lol. Sounds like you got more information than I did. 

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Got out a few of my applications including Yale. I think the prejudice against Final Draft is kinda strange. I'm a theatre person through and through, but I love using Final Draft and feel like I've been able to focus on my writing versus spending a lot of time on formatting Word. It's a personal choice as far as I'm concerned. Applying to the usual suspects minus Juilliard and with Carnegie Mellon thrown into the mix. I've heard some really great things about that program and the plays coming out of there. Anyone have additional details on CMU? Would appreciate it.

I also find the personal statements difficult to write more than ever. Mine are pretty short, but I feel like I get my pov across better than I have in the past. Hopefully less is okay.

As far as Northwestern goes, I've known people who've gone there who told me they wished they would have waited to go somewhere else. With that said, it has great resources and it's alumni are doing great things. I was going to apply until I heard from these recent grads.

Hello, fellow playwrights! Just thought I'd introduce myself as the application season continues. I've submitted my app for Brown and am working my way through those for Rutgers, Carnegie Mellon, Temple, Pace, Boston U, and Smith.

Concerning Rutgers - does anyone have information on the personal essay? I've read the requirements through and through (on a few different pages of Rutgers' website) and have not been able to find any information on a personal essay topic/requirement. All the website states is for two plays to be submitted. No other criterion. Any insight would be helpful! Thanks!

Barista, I just visited CMU because I have a friend in his second year there. He showed me around the facilities, which are lovely, and I met several other playwrights, all of whom are great. It's a 2-year program, but they describe it as if 3 years are compressed into two - it's intense. There are 12 playwrights at a time, 6 per year. The funding is a half-tuition waiver, so they're paying something like $35k/yr apiece JUST for tuition. Given the facilities and resources, you could argue that they're getting their money's worth, but I still advise against taking out such significant loans for grad school. At any rate, let me know if you'd like to get in touch with my friend there and I'll pass along his info.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds great! Thank you so much for the info. I would like to visit if given the chance. I would ideally like to go to school in a city with a theatre scene, but I've heard good things about Pittsburgh. 

So glad you brought that CMU question up. I finished out the application a week ago and felt something was missing which were my transcripts. My alma mater's on break right now, but when I contacted the person's name to contact with admissions questions he said it's okay if they arrive after the application. He told me to mail them to him and not the 5000 Forbes address on the side of the page. Not quite sure the exact mailing address, but my school is sending him electronic official transcripts to his email. It really depends on the system your former institution uses. Hope this helps! Luckily, I've found schools to be understanding in terms of getting materials in the mail during this busy time.

On December 30, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Barista said:

So glad you brought that CMU question up. I finished out the application a week ago and felt something was missing which were my transcripts. My alma mater's on break right now, but when I contacted the person's name to contact with admissions questions he said it's okay if they arrive after the application. He told me to mail them to him and not the 5000 Forbes address on the side of the page. Not quite sure the exact mailing address, but my school is sending him electronic official transcripts to his email. It really depends on the system your former institution uses. Hope this helps! Luckily, I've found schools to be understanding in terms of getting materials in the mail during this busy time.

Is it the address listed at the bottom of this page?

http://drama.cmu.edu/151/admissions-faqs-g

Much appreciated!

• 5 weeks later...

It's almost February! How is everyone feeling? Me? Oh, I'm just dandy. I find that reading a good book is keeping me distracted for the moment. (:

Through my perusal of this topic, I've found that mid-February seems to be the time when initial notifications begin to occur! Best wishes to all!! May the results be ever in your favor.

Re: Boxedwine,

I agree. I'd love to hear whenever anyone else hears, which is really the common practice from my presence here last year. 

And no nerves so far. I've completely spaced on the notification timeline from last year. I'm still finishing up my last two applications so my focus is still a little shifted. Ohio and Southern Illinois, whose head is apparently a great guy based on the professors I know who know him. 

If if it doesn't shake out this year, I imagine I'll wait another year before applying and see if I can get some more work produced. Doing 8 applications while an intern is brutal, brutal stuff. 

Hi all,

I'm new to the list! I applied to 10 schools this year, and I haven't heard anything from anywhere yet.

One piece of information I can add - I was reading through last year's posts and a bunch of people were asking about the New School. Last year I only applied to the New School and Rutgers, and I heard from the New School on January 30th that I was a finalist. Being a finalist at the New School means you have to go to a special weekend-long event on campus, which took place the first week in March. If you're not invited to that event, then I'm almost positive it means you are rejected. There were 12 playwright finalists at the event, and they accepted 3-4. I was ultimately rejected, but the weekend was a great experience. I didn't re-apply to the New School this year, but I assume it's probably the same timeline.

Looking forward to talking with you all about applications, and good luck to everyone!

Edited by draconianstars

@Boxedwine that's awesome!  Congratulations!  I applied to Austin, but haven't heard anything yet.  I've applied there in the past and never gotten an interview so I won't be surprised if that happens again.  But for now I'm going to try to not read too much into not hearing anything yet. 

Also, what are some things people are looking to do during the summer months? I'm always interested in opps like O'Neill, Last Frontier, etc, etc, etc. I've applied to all of them, but any other opportunities for writers/dramaturg/playwright interested in garnering some more directing experience opportunities anyone know of?