Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Hello everyone-

I ultimately decided not to apply for 16/17, as I received a promotion at Equity that paid considerably more- allowing to me save money. I plan on applying for 17/18, hopefully with a healthier savings account. This also gives me time to polish up the bunch of plays I wrote.

Best of luck to all of you!

Hi everyone --

I've been a lurker so far this year but figured I'd chime in. Congrats to everyone who's gotten interviews so far! I applied only to one school last year, Hunter, interviewed, and didn't get in. I was so dreadfully nervous sitting at a table with Annie Baker and Branden Jacobs-Jenkins. I didn't interview well, and HOPE I'll do better this year if I get interviews. My play is an O'Neill semifinalist, which was encouraging.

My list this year -- for note-comparing purposes -- is NYU-Tisch, Juilliard, Carnegie Mellon, Brooklyn College, and Ohio. I may add another school or two with late deadlines. Has anyone heard yet from any of these places? @Barista?

Thanks so much and GOOD LUCK TO ALL. (I find comfort in the fact that some of my favorite writers never got MFAs -- we are artists already.)

-NewEngland

Wow! To get an interview at Hunter is awesome! LOVE both of those writers. Hunter's very happy to have them. The Flick and An Octoroon are two of my favorite plays. Congrats on O'Neill! Second year applying so hopefully next year O'Neill will happen for me. 

I did get my final rejection from Michener which I suspected at this point. Haven't heard from anyone else which is worrying me, but maybe it's still kinda early. I'm waiting on Carnegie Mellon, Columbia, NYU, Yale, Brown, and Iowa if anyone has heard. Any news on Columbia's program now that it's under new leadership? I've gotten some financial assessment emails from them, but I'm pretty sure they did that last year too and I didn't get an interview. 

Per the trends from previous years in this thread, it appears that Brown should be releasing its decisions some time soon. I mapped it between the 13th and the 20th for rejections noted from previous applicants actively posting in this forum. We should be getting those e-mails soon if trends hold...

Yep just want to confirm that last year I heard about an interview from Columbia on the 19th, rejection from Brown on the 20th, and an interview from Yale on the 20th.  I think tomorrow might be the day.  Good luck everyone!

5 hours ago, Boxedwine said:

@newengland1 Congrats on being a semifinalist for O'Neill! What other schools with late deadlines are you considering? 

@Boxedwine, thank you! The other main one is Hunter. The program is in transition -- Arthur Kopit is leaving and they're about to hold masterclass job talks for his replacement. Not sure yet who that will be. And dunno yet if Annie and Branden are back next year? I did an MA in that department (got to do a year of MFA classes with Mark and Tina), and I'm connected enough there that I could probably figure it out. If anyone wants to chat about Hunter, feel free to PM me.

Sending good vibes to all.

Edited by newengland1

Hey @asimpleton I didn't apply to the New School this year, but last year I did and was a finalist. They informed us super early - I got a call from them January 30th - they informed us early because they make all playwrighting, directing, and acting finalists come to NYC for a weekend interview and activity event in early March, when they make their final decisions. I assume they are probably on a similar timeline this year, although I don't know officially. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news : (

I haven't heard from any schools yet - did anyone hear from the schools that tend to send out interview requests / rejections by around Feb. 20th? I'm beginning to assume that since I haven't heard from places, I'm probably not in the running... major sadness beginning.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by draconianstars

@draconianstars I haven't heard anything about the 20th either and I'm applying with a few other people who haven't sent me any exploratory emails yet. So IDK. Perhaps it'll be the 22nd this year? Who knows. Or we're not in. But don't give up faith just yet...I'm mainly thinking about YALE please god don't let yale have made a decision.

When does Brooklyn or Juilliard usually let ppl know? 

@jamesprongs101 ditto to the sentiments about Yale. Ditto the extreme.

Last year interview calls for Yale went out on the 24th. In 2014 on the 25th. And in 2013 on the 22nd. What? I didn't make an obsessive spreadsheet with information from this forum going back to 2010. Not me. A friend. A friend made it. 

Hi all I just checked my phones voicemails and Yale definitely called me last year on the 20th. But very glad to hear that's there's been a range of dates that they've contacted people. I don't think we should despair especially since none of us have heard anything yet. 

Hey everyone. I posted a bit last year, didn't get in anywhere. This year I've applied to all New York schools and I haven't heard from Columbia, The New School or Brooklyn.

I also applied to Fordham and Queens College. I haven't heard from them either. But I was wondering if anyone else has heard from them or knows anything about their programs as I haven't seen anything about them on here.

Edited by plost5950

11 hours ago, plost5950 said:

Hey everyone. I posted a bit last year, didn't get in anywhere. This year I've applied to all New York schools and I haven't heard from Columbia, The New School or Brooklyn.

I also applied to Fordham and Queens College. I haven't heard from them either. But I was wondering if anyone else has heard from them or knows anything about their programs as I haven't seen anything about them on here.

@plost5950, welcome back and good luck. Have you heard anything from NYU (if you applied)?