Playwriting MFAs

dampka

On 2/14/2016 at 1:13 AM, lrb0192 said:

Brand new to this site/thread. Extremely excited to join the community. First time applicant to MFA playwriting programs and I just found out from Naomi Iizuka two days ago that I'm a finalist for UCSD. I fly out in ten days to meet with faculty/students.

Waiting to hear back from Columbia, Brown, and Brooklyn College. Good luck everyone!

Awesome! I'm brand new too, equally excited and totally anxious. I also just got word I'm flying out to UCSD for an in-person interview -- @lrb0192, any insights on what to expect? I hope yours went well! Maybe we'll get to write together next year.  :-)

I'm on the waitlist at UT Austin, and still radio silence from Yale....

Edited by greenchile

32 minutes ago, greenchile said:

Awesome! I'm brand new too, equally excited and totally anxious. I also just got word I'm flying out to UCSD for an in-person interview -- @lrb0192, any insights on what to expect? I hope yours went well! Maybe we'll get to write together next year.  :-)

I'm on the waitlist at UT Austin, and still radio silence from Yale....

Congrats @greenchile ! I fly out tomorrow night, so I will let y'all know how it went when I'm back on Friday.

My information is only on the schools I applied to (Yale, UTA, Iowa, Brown, and UCSD). But it appears that if you're accepted, you won't hear via snail mail. If you're accepted you will receive a phone call or email. If you're rejected it looks like you could get emailed or snail mailed. Sometimes you're emailed simply with a, "Check your status on our online system." My information is no way comprehensive and is entirely compiled from what people posted to this forum over the years.

Ahem.

I mean, my friend's spreadsheet. 

Fine. It's my spreadsheet. I know. It's a shocker. Fooled you all with the ole "my friend" ruse. 

@Boxedwine I made one of those, too. On graph paper. It's so pretty but predicts poor news. /:

Also received the snail mail rejection from CMU today. Post marked 2/19, arrived 2/22 (clearly for future lurker use - add it to your own fun graphs)! (:

^^i am in a similar boat. I applied to CMU and Haven't heard anything from but I also looked at my submitted application and there wasn't any place where I put a mailing address so  not even sure how they would send any snail mail. Any thoughts?

Best of luck to everyone!

Long time listener, first time caller (or what you will)

I applied last year to a couple schools and no luck but I applied more generally this year and I have an interview with NYU and with Yale. I'm super excited and terrified.

I'd love to ask any of the people who have had interviews, what questions they asked you? I have no idea what they're going to ask and obviously it'll be different for everyone but any insight would be really appreciated.

Wow, three of the interviewees for Yale are on here. Are you guys gonna have a secret sign when you meet? 

As for me, I'm still waiting back to hear from all the other places I applied. Congratulations to all the interviewees so far!

@The Walter Before There's a post from a couple years ago on here about the Yale interview. I've reviewed it and found it somewhat helpful. I don't remember what year it's from, but if you have trouble finding it, I'll re-post it.

For the interviews I've had so far I've asked a lot about the culture of the school, typical day questions (usually yields a nice chuckle and a "Well, there is no typical day" which keeps folks talking again about the culture of the school, but also about some of their really exciting rare opportunities), production opportunities, guest speakers/lecturers, etc. The person who recommended me went to Yale years ago under Paula and she's also given me some nice insight. She said to ask about Yale Cabaret. You can find some of it on their website, but it's nice to get the inside perspective. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Congratulations everyone on the interviews! Those are a lot of interviews so I'm in talented company. 

Have not heard anything on my end except for the rejection from Michener. Still haven't received snail mail from Carnegie Mellon, but I guess Yale and NYU are not happening for me this year. I really thought I had a great application. I don't know if it's 'cause I'm still pretty fresh out of school by grad school standards, or what, but I'm pretty bummed out this being my third year applying. Really feel like my applications are getting stronger year to year so I was hoping to at least get interviewed this year. Still waiting on Brown, Iowa (which is usually later), and Columbia if anyone has heard. Trying to keep my head up high.

Good luck everyone! 

Hi all.  Just wanted to report that I got an e-mail from Columbia requesting an interview.

For those interviewing at Yale, congrats.  For what is worth, Jeannie is a lovely person and so easy to interview with.  She starts off by talking about your play and the conversation organically moves on from there.  I had a little bit of a harder time with Sarah.  I don't know why, but when she asked me what kind of books I read, I was stumped!  I guess I just spend too much of my time reading plays.  Hope that helps.  Happy to answer any specific questions you may have.

@Boxedwine@The Walter Before  YAY!! Congrats guys. Does anyone know the exact number of interviewees to Yale? One of my best friends also got the invite. 

Sidenote, if anyone's down I wouldn't mind grabbing a coffee and saying hello IRL. But I also understand if ur like, nah i'm chill.