Playwriting MFAs

dampka

I'd like to chime in and add -- I think everyone deserves to be congratulated, whether you get in somewhere this year or not. Going through this process is grueling, but formative and I think helpful, even if it has to be repeated more than once. So, congrats to all on your efforts. We're all getting closer to our goals.

Got the call from Ohio that they're starting interviews, heads up! 

I'm actually removing myself from consideration from there in addition to bowing out from Iowa, Chicago, and Indiana as I just accepted an amazing offer from University of Arizona's new MFA in Generative Dramaturgy!

1 minute ago, newengland1 said:

@Maybel Thanks for the heads-up. Can you say a little more -- did they call to schedule an interview? Or was it a surprise interview phone call? Thanks ... !

Surprise interview! Look out for that 740 area code. 

Totally with you @newengland1. This whole process is so scary and exposing and it takes more guts than we like to give ourselves credit for because we live in a fucked up capitalist culture where "winning" means more than striving and doing. No matter the results we all took major emotional and psychic leaps in order to get to this point at all. For years I thought that a grad program wasn't a possibility for me at all and it wasn't until this summer that I got the encouragement to take the leap and allow myself to force myself to come up with the words for what I want to do in the world and how I want to do it and I'm so grateful to this process for giving me the access to those words. 

Last night my best friend who also applied to programs with me celebrated with friends over barbecue and wine not the fact that we got in to schools, but the fact that we met a year ago and decided this fall to take this frightening plunge together. This is the first of many frightening plunges and this process has given me the ability to take the plunge so much more often and so much more recklessly. 

WE FUCKING WROTE FULL LENGTH PLAYS, WE WROTE MULTIPLE STATEMENTS OF PURPOSE, WE MADE PEOPLE PONDER THE UNIVERSES WE SEE WHEN WE CLOSE OUR EYES AND DREAM. CONGRATULATIONS GUYS!

Hi everyone.  I thought I'd give you all an update on my Columbia interview in case anyone is interested in the program.  I've seen people write on this forum that Columbia is considered a degree mill, so I thought I'd ask David Henry Hwang about that head on.

First I asked why they have such a large cohort compared to other top tier graduate programs.  What the advantage of having ten students in the program is?  He said that first it allowed them to offer elective courses that they couldn't with less students.  Now they can offer musical theatre classes or screenwriting classes and students can pick and choose what they want to specialize in.  Second, it allows them to have a diverse group of students in terms of aesthetic and background.  The weekend I was there, they had a a showcase of ten minute plays by the first year students.  And I think they really achieved a diverse group of stroytellers.  There was one play in particular that gave me chills and left me feeling inspired, which for a jaded Associate Artistic Director such as myself, is saying a lot.

Second I asked that if diversity is so important to them, then do they worry that such a high cost of tuition is an impediment to achieving true diversity.  David answered simply yes, they know it is a huge problem and they are actively working to raise more money for students to be able to attend.  It's not super helpful for anyone applying right now but I appreciated his honesty.

For me the program seemed idyllic, except for the funding issue and I told them as much.  I think anyone applying to other programs not fully funded should put Columbia on their list.  I'll keep you all updated on if I get in and if so what the finance situation is really like.

Also Columbia just announced a partnership with Roundabout which is really exciting.

Thanks for sharing that info, @jnp809.

I've gotten into one program (NYU), but am still waiting on a bunch of others. Has anybody heard from CMU or Juilliard?  Anyone else heard from Ohio or Brooklyn? Just trying to get a sense of the rest of the landscape ... thanks!

Hi, all- I had my interview with Columbia yesterday (Sunday.) I like to think it went very well.

David Henry Hwang did mention that they would get back to us by the end of this week, so look out for those!

@Boxedwine not sure yet.  I missed David's call so I couldn't ask him.  But his voicemail said to expect an e-mail with a formal offer of acceptance and the financial package offer soon.  Trying not to read too much into his phrasing, but really hoping that means some funding.  Promise to keep you all updated!

Congrats @jnp809!

Ohio update: I received an email from Charles Smith yesterday, and had a phone interview with him today. He's a lovely guy, and we spoke a lot about the program and its structure. He said Erik Ramsey would also contact me for an interview. I thought it went well, but one never knows. Fingers crossed. @Maybel, as perverse as it sounds, I'm grateful to you for pulling out.