Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Does anyone have previous experience with Yale? I know a bunch of people got the rejection notice on the portal yesterday, and Yale said they would be notifying the finalists today. However, I haven't heard anything (on the portal or otherwise). It's 4pm EST now... should I be worried that it's this late without hearing anything or...?

I'm not necessarily expecting to have a chance in hell at Yale, but I'm surprised that I haven't gotten the rejection notification by now. Does anyone know if (in the past) people have gotten their rejection notifications after the finalists are contacted?

2 minutes ago, esfg1 said:

Does anyone have previous experience with Yale? I know a bunch of people got the rejection notice on the portal yesterday, and Yale said they would be notifying the finalists today. However, I haven't heard anything (on the portal or otherwise). It's 4pm EST now... should I be worried that it's this late without hearing anything or...?

I'm not necessarily expecting to have a chance in hell at Yale, but I'm surprised that I haven't gotten the rejection notification by now. Does anyone know if (in the past) people have gotten their rejection notifications after the finalists are contacted?

I'm in the same boat with Yale. Don't really know what it means, other than [maybe] we weren't in the first wave of rejections.

9 minutes ago, lrb0192 said:

I'm in the same boat with Yale. Don't really know what it means, other than [maybe] we weren't in the first wave of rejections.

What's what I'm assuming, but that's so frustrating! Like, if you already know your finalists, why not just put out a rejection notice to the rest of us? I guess I'll just remain full of anxiety until tomorrow when I know it's too late... Thank you for the response!

38 minutes ago, esfg1 said:

What's what I'm assuming, but that's so frustrating! Like, if you already know your finalists, why not just put out a rejection notice to the rest of us? I guess I'll just remain full of anxiety until tomorrow when I know it's too late... Thank you for the response!

I'm waiting for notification from Yale too, the minutes pass too slowly. Beginning to think maybe something's wrong with the portal? Glad to know I'm not alone!

In other news, had my interview for SAIC's MFA Writing program this morning. Very brief - only about twenty minutes. They are a well-oiled machine, it seems. Got to interview with current Guggenheim Fellow Jesse Ball which was pretty cool. Very kind / generous faculty, but I'm anxious about the cost of the program.

@SeaLou Thanks! Unfortunately, the funding isn't great. It's a very expensive program that offers (I believe) one full ride and a few 50% packages, but cohort sizes are ~20 writers. The program is great, especially if you're a writer with other arts practices, and the facilities are incredible, but it is hard to imagine being able to afford it.

Re: Brown - I got an email today from Erik notifying me I'm a finalist. We are currently scheduling an interview for next week. Good luck to everyone still waiting for news!

Re: UCSD - I've been hearing rumors that the program has taken some financial hits this year. Apparently the restructuring of the program has resulted with some cut ties to La Jolla and in return some loss of school funding. If these rumors are all true, I wouldn't be surprised if the planned acceptance of one applicant this year turns into zero acceptances. Just food for thought.

Wow @lrb0192 Congrats on Brown!  That's awesome!

Thanks for the details about SAIC.  I love the idea of their program.  And Chicago might be my favorite city in the world, but I've never applied for funding reasons.

Yeah I've heard the same thing about UCSD.  I didn't think that it might affect how many applicants they accept.  I feel like they have to accept someone or return everyone's application fees.

Keep us updated on what happens with Brown!

@lrb0192 Congrats on the interview at Brown! I haven't heard back from them yet, so I'm assuming if they don't contact me within the next few days that's a rejection. And it's unfortunate about UCSD. Does anyone know if the anti-union laws that are trying to get passed in Iowa will affect their financial assistance for incoming students? 

Edited by nelletankus

Hi guys. Thanks for all your well wishes. It really means a lot to me. I am interviewing with Brown on Monday and I found out I got into SAIC with a 50% scholarship earlier this week.

I also got the call from Yale this morning. I am a finalist and they are flying me out in two weeks.

Nothing feels real and I am filled with anxiety, hahahaha. Good luck you guys. 

Hi. I haven't posted and have been watching this space, shaking. I had no info to contribute that would be helpful to anyone, but just got a call from Yale for an interview so thought I'd chime in since it seems they are finally reaching out. 

Is anyone else here interviewing with NYU? Mine's tomorrow and I'm trying to figure out how to prepare and be less nervous! 

Edited by CocoBeans

Just had my very kind and casual phone interview with Erik Ehn for Brown. It was mostly a call for me to ask questions, which kind of surprised me, but luckily I had plenty to ask. He said they are trying to get offers out by the end of this week or beginning of next. All out of my hands now!

Thanks @SeaLou ! It went alright, I asked some questions about the program and talked about what I'm interested in working on. I totally forgot to ask about when decisions would be made.

On another note, I feel like I'm in no-man's land with Yale - no rejection letter so far and now the link to the application page has been deactivated. Anyone else in the same situation? 

Edited by CocoBeans

@lrb0192 that's so awesome. Fingers crossed. I would love to know more of what you talked about. Erik Ehn is such an interesting dude. 

@CocoBeans

i feel you. Same situation. Have you emailed or called them? I would love for someone else to give them a call to see what they have to say since I rang them and they didn't respond to my voicemail. Although I'm assuming quite a bit is going on behind the scenes. And I'm assuming we are second tier right now as well. 

@SeaLou No I have not, I thought for a long time about emailing them today but since I don't have a compelling enough reason like another offer, I think I'll wait a couple more days. I do agree that there's probably a lot going on behind the scenes. 

emailed UCSD to inquire about my application, and they've replied "No word yet". Anyone else who applied there heard anything, any other updates on their funding situation? Their app deadline was a month later this year so I'm not expecting anything immediate.

@SeaLou Erik Ehn is fascinating. I actually met him when I was seventeen years old, so it was interesting to come back to speaking with him years later. The conversation was mostly about Providence as an artistic environment, my interest in narratives through new media (VR & animatronics), current commissions I'm working on, the open-model philosophy behind Brown's curriculum, and how grad students are prepped as they leave after three years.

@TBA1982 I haven't heard back about my itinerary. I also would suspect I hallucinated if it wasn't for me writing down all the information as I received the call. Hopefully we hear back before the end of the week!