Playwriting MFAs

dampka

@jnp809 Regarding Brown - two of us have been offered admission. Neither I or the other playwright have officially accepted because we are waiting to hear back from other offers and there is a tricky situation happening there (faculty shifting). I am not sure what the waitlist situation looks like.

Iowa folks - I had to email to make sure everything was received and they informed me offers of admission will be made by March 24th.

thanks for the UCSD info - I've also not heard so good to know it's unlikely but possible.

10 hours ago, esfg1 said:

Has anyone heard anything about Northwestern? I had a Skype interview on March 10 but haven't heard anything since. I know there were about 26 others (according to the Doodle scheduler we signed up with) who had interviews that weekend. At what point is it OK for me to call them?

Not sure if it helps but I know someone who applied for the MFA in directing and they got word of their acceptance about a week ago. Not sure if the channels are similar for the playwriting. 

Hi all!

I stumbled upon this page very recently. I have to admit that at first it was a bit overwhelming -- I've tried to basically put applications out of my head since sending them in. But I think this is a great resource during an application process that is lacking in straightforward communication on the part of institutions. (I'm hoping that's not a bad omen about re-entering an academic world, but perhaps that's a separate conversation.) I only applied to east coast schools, so it would be lovely to have some indication of wether or not I should be shopping for long underwear. (I'm just a dreamy CA girl, my bones are cold just thinking about it.)

@jnp809, how did you access the Brown portal? I interviewed with Erik Ehn on March 7, and have still received no word.

Congrats to everyone for your rigor and stamina! Damn.

500full.jpg.png

Hey @TheEveHarrington here's the link: http://www.applyweb.com/cgi-bin/ustat

i was frankly really disappointed that no one had the common courtesy to respond to my email that I sent Monday. Especially because in past years Erik has sent out really thoughtful rejection emails. It just feels like there is a false sense of caring for rejected applicants. I probably won't be applying to brown again if I do this another year. Sorry if this sounds like sour grapes but if I can't vent here I don't know where I can!

good luck to everyone still holding the torch of hope!

7 minutes ago, TheEveHarrington said:

@jnp809 thank you! not seeing any sort of status update on my app. I guess we throw it back into the winds of fate for now. but please, vent darling, expel your venom onto the milky breasts of the internet, our hoary mistress.

Already very happy you're here  

And yes @jnp809

Please vent. I was in the same boat. I requested a comment from Yale via phone call and didn't hear back until a week later with my rejection letter, which I guess was their response? Either way I know what you mean. 

@SeaLou Unfortunately they did not.... I was so flustered during the interview that at the end I just made sure to get in the few questions I had prepared and then completely did not think to ask them when I would hear back.

I certainly hope @felixo's comment is only true of the directors. I genuinely don't mind being rejected anymore so much as I mind not being told one way or another (for instance, I know Columbia invited their interviewees out several weeks ago and they still haven't given me a rejection slip).

4 hours ago, esfg1 said:

I certainly hope @felixo's comment is only true of the directors. I genuinely don't mind being rejected anymore so much as I mind not being told one way or another (for instance, I know Columbia invited their interviewees out several weeks ago and they still haven't given me a rejection slip).

I understand this - but I think until facts are known it is best to give institutions the benefit of the doubt. Rejections can't be sent out until all spots are committed to - this often means that the institution will return to the applicant pool repeatedly as their top choices may have committed elsewhere - or, they are waiting, waiting, for their top choices to decide. I think schools could do better to notify applicants of their being waitlisted, however, because that seems to be a very common thing. 

Hey guys, just sending in an update: I've officially accepted my spot at Brown. I wrote to Iowa and Columbia letting them know they should pull me from consideration. I hope that clears the way and opens spots for some of you.

This is my second year applying - got rejected from UCSD, rejected from Yale finals, and I gotta say, it's so very comforting to have you guys here with me moving through the same stressful motions. I am deeply appreciative of everyone's support/advocacy and it's a true testament to our community of playwrights. Keep writing, please. I know I have to.  Sending you all so much love.

Also got my Brooklyn College rejection. Is it weird that I was rejected from the two east coast schools I applied at (Brown was the other) and am accepted at UCLA and effectively waitlisted at UCSD? Is there some aesthetic differences based on region that I'm unaware of? Or maybe east coast schools are just more competitive? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.