Playwriting MFAs

dampka

46 minutes ago, terrarium3528 said:

I still haven't heard anything from Yale, has anyone else? @faro555 ? @Owlcake ?

Nothing so far. I feel like I've heard of quite a few people not getting rejected yet, so I'm wondering if they had readers comb through the applications first and now the faculty is reading what the readers passed on? This is pure speculation.

2 hours ago, faro555 said:

Nothing so far. I feel like I've heard of quite a few people not getting rejected yet, so I'm wondering if they had readers comb through the applications first and now the faculty is reading what the readers passed on? This is pure speculation.

Is Yale fully funded with a stipend?

4 minutes ago, TBA1982 said:

It is, yes. Have you heard something? 

No sorry, just gathering all the places I'm going to apply next year because I'm slowly but surely losing hope for this time around :)

2 hours ago, faro555 said:

I haven't heard either! Shall someone else give them a call?

56 minutes ago, terrarium3528 said:

I called; they said they'd decide finalists "by next week." Hope this is helpful!

Dang! Good to know. Thanks for calling!

@emmadlemma got my UCSD rejection email today too : )

@LordQuas Most of the schools considered most prestigious offer full funding (some/most require you to TA for it). Yale, Iowa, Indiana, and Brown are fully funded but extremely hard to get into. Juillard's graduate certificate program I believe comes with a stipend? but is also near impossible to get into. Boston is fully funded as is I believe Arkansas. I've learned through my conversations with a student as ASU that it's not fully funded for everyone - it depends on what's offered and how well the student hustles for opportunities. I think UT-Austin, UT-Michener, and UCSD are all or mostly funded, but I'm not sure. Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, and the New School are nowhere close to it - at those programs most people accumulate a very large amount of debt. I'm not sure about Brooklyn College, Carnegie Mellon, Hunter, Ohio, Rutgers, Temple, USC. All state schools will at least have cheaper tuition. Programs that admit a lot of people, like NYU, Columbia, and Northwestern, tend to offer a lot fewer financial resources.

Hey all. I’m a current student at Ohio. To answer the financial question. Every OU student gets tuition remition. And most students get a teaching position with a stipend. If this is something you care about, let Charles know in your interview. I was upfront with him that I wouldn’t go to OU without a full stipend and while a gamble, it worked out for me. And he always makes sure that whatever offer you got your first year does not decrease while you’re there. Hope that helps. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

I should totally be getting on with my life and not posting here because I'm already in a grad program and about to graduate. But! Noticing that someone has gotten in when you haven't heard anything does NOT mean you're not also getting in. I learned this the hard way when I applied to programs. Anything could happen still. Have faith.

9 hours ago, newengland1 said:

I should totally be getting on with my life and not posting here because I'm already in a grad program and about to graduate. But! Noticing that someone has gotten in when you haven't heard anything does NOT mean you're not also getting in. I learned this the hard way when I applied to programs. Anything could happen still. Have faith.

I always got to remind myself of that - good to hear it from someone else though! :)

Hey all, first time applying to grad schools, first time posting. I got my rejection letter from Yale back in February. Still waiting to hear anything on my other applications. Has anyone heard anything from Columbia, NYU or Brooklyn College?

@TBA1982, first off, sorry to hear about the Yale Rejection. I'm a first time MFA applier, and also applied to Hunter. I haven't heard back yet, but ya never know.

what interests me most about Hunter is its faculty and though I've been accepted to other programs I'm definitely wondering if I'd want to hold off and try again there next year. Would you have any interest in saying a little bit about your experience level in the field / what your style of writing is? No worries if not, I just really adore both the faculty heads and would really want to aim for at least an interview with Hunter if I apply again next year.  

I also saw you interviewed at Yale last year ( sorry for snooping the post history, was looking to see if you'd applied to Hunter before), did they interview you again this year? If this is incredibly nosy I apologize